Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

Loved the effort...hated the outcome.

Petty good stat line except that our FG% was tad low.  The FTAs is what stood out to me.  We were 10-12 from the stripe while the Illini were 17-24.  There really was no foul discrepancy.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 5 championships said:

What’s the feeling from everybody.. will 19 wins get us in? I fell like 19 will have us squarely on the bubble. 20 and we are a lock. 

Since we are sitting where we are in the Big Ten standings, unfortunately, only getting 19 wins means will get a very bad loss along the way.  For example, assume we beat Minnesota, but lose to Wisconsin.  That leaves us at 19-12 for the regular season.  However, it also means we would almost certainly be playing on Day One of the BTT, and our opponent will be either Northwestern or Nebraska.  So, to finish with 19 wins, that would mean losing that BTT game, and a loss to either of those opponents would be devastating to our resume.  I just don't think 19-13 with a BTT loss to one of those teams, gets us in.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I see @BruceDouglas is here and since you seem to be a pretty level-headed UI fan, I'm curious what your take is from the game?

If IU could shoot that well all the time, you'd be a lock for the dance by now. I've never seen a team make so many incredible circus-shot layups in one game! Plus 50% from 3? Some of those were wide open via blown defensive assignments, but quite a few contested makes as well.

But no doubt in my mind IU is a tournament team.

Big key to the game IMO was we got a good game out of Giorgi, played really solid D in the 2nd half and helped us out on the boards. May have been some good fortune as Underwood said Williams rolling his ankle necessitated playing Gio more. And the guy that was dismissed by one of the resident "experts" over here, Andres Feliz. Kid just doesn't like to lose and plays so damn hard all game. Gonna miss him next year.

As for the refs, well....there were a lot of calls missed for both sides, IMO. Typical B1G refs, not much consistency. The charge called on Ayo was terrible, and thought he was fouled on the drive right before the 3 pointer by Durham where they missed a foul on Illinois. My theory is there are so many reviews that the stripes are reluctant to make calls and it's spilled over into their mentality to just not call anything.

And I think Kofi wrapped up that FOTY award. TJD is certainly deserving as well.

Tournament next week in Indy should be phenomenal!

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I see @BruceDouglas is here and since you seem to be a pretty level-headed UI fan, I'm curious what your take is from the game?

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Since we are sitting where we are in the Big Ten standings, unfortunately, only getting 19 wins means will get a very bad loss along the way.  For example, assume we beat Minnesota, but lose to Wisconsin.  That leaves us at 19-12 for the regular season.  However, it also means we would almost certainly be playing on Day One of the BTT, and our opponent will be either Northwestern or Nebraska.  So, to finish with 19 wins, that would mean losing that BTT game, and a loss to either of those opponents would be devastating to our resume.  I just don't think 19-13 with a BTT loss to one of those teams, gets us in.

So much for that...

Was away on vacation in Mexico City for this game and the Purdue game. Watched the UI game recording last night and loved the effort for the most part. This is not the same team that was getting blown out on the road earlier this year. There was grit, hustle, and good shooting on display. 50% from three and no missed FTS for most of the game? I'll take that. And it seemed like whenever UI made a good play or two, we were able to answer.

Earlier in the season I was so discouraged by this team and debated cancelling my Youtube TV subscription, but I stuck it out. And I think the players and coaches are sticking it out and finally deciding that the team is worth fighting for.

Let's get both of these home games and leave no doubt about the tournament.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Loved the effort...hated the outcome.

Petty good stat line except that our FG% was tad low.  The FTAs is what stood out to me.  We were 10-12 from the stripe while the Illini were 17-24.  There really was no foul discrepancy.

I disagree on this too and it goes back to my "Big Ten refs suck" rant from earlier.  Just evening out the amount of fouls called does not mean that the game was called "evenly".  Illinois shot twice as many free throws as we did, so I'm not really sure where you are getting the no foul discrepancy from (unless that is sarcasm that flew over my head).

However, when a foul is called is more important than how many fouls are called.  For example, your team gets called for 5 early fouls and 3 of them are of the shooting variety.  Meanwhile, on the other end, you are getting hammered every time you go low.  So the Big Ten refs eventually look up and realize, "crap...I do not appear to be calling a fair game" so you see them start to call a few of the ticky tack fouls on the other team but they happen 25 feet away from the basket when you are moving the ball around.  A couple of those get called and suddenly it is an "evenly" called game.  Nevermind the fact that your ability to score inside has been hampered while the other team has been able to potentially put up 6 free throws to your 0.  That garbage happens all of the time in the BIG.  "Well, each team had around 10 fouls called on them so it was even..."  I say no, when the first 6 fouls are called are extremely important because they dictate your ability to score and defend while at the same time giving your opponent the potential added advantage of getting a "do over" from the foul line that you are not getting at the other end for the same aggressive play.  That is the true home court advantage in the Big Ten.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I disagree on this too and it goes back to my "Big Ten refs suck" rant from earlier.  Just evening out the amount of fouls called does not mean that the game was called "evenly".  Illinois shot twice as many free throws as we did, so I'm not really sure where you are getting the no foul discrepancy from (unless that is sarcasm that flew over my head).

However, when a foul is called is more important than how many fouls are called.  For example, your team gets called for 5 early fouls and 3 of them are of the shooting variety.  Meanwhile, on the other end, you are getting hammered every time you go low.  So the Big Ten refs eventually look up and realize, "crap...I do not appear to be calling a fair game" so you see them start to call a few of the ticky tack fouls on the other team but they happen 25 feet away from the basket when you are moving the ball around.  A couple of those get called and suddenly it is an "evenly" called game.  Nevermind the fact that your ability to score inside has been hampered while the other team has been able to potentially put up 6 free throws to your 0.  That garbage happens all of the time in the BIG.  "Well, each team had around 10 fouls called on them so it was even..."  I say no, when the first 6 fouls are called are extremely important because they dictate your ability to score and defend while at the same time giving your opponent the potential added advantage of getting a "do over" from the foul line that you are not getting at the other end for the same aggressive play.  That is the true home court advantage in the Big Ten.

It was sarcasm on my part.  I guess I need to work on that a little better in type.  Yes, when a team shoots twice as many as the other squad something is amiss.

Just now, rico said:

It was sarcasm on my part.  I guess I need to work on that a little better in type.  Yes, when a team shoots twice as many as the other squad something is amiss.

You ever watch Big Bang Theory...my lack of picking up on the sarcasm was very Sheldonesque.  The receiver of the sarcasm can sometimes be the problem as well.  🤪

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You ever watch Big Bang Theory...my lack of picking up on the sarcasm was very Sheldonesque.  The receiver of the sarcasm can sometimes be the problem as well.  🤪

That was probably on my end...I should have expanded on my sarcasm.  What you said is exactly what I was trying to get across or make fans take a closer look at.  Both teams could have 6 fouls each so neither are in the bonus...but one team has 12 FTA's.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

That was probably on my end...I should have expanded on my sarcasm.  What you said is exactly what I was trying to get across or make fans take a closer look at.  Both teams could have 6 fouls each so neither are in the bonus...but one team has 12 FTA's.

If anyone needs some help with Sarcasm I teach a graduate level course. I have multiple degree in that language. My wife has given me the distinguished title of Dr of sarcasm and BS

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It's always interesting when a team wins with a helping hand from the officials - it's always "the refs were bad, both ways".  Lol. 

Even if it was "bad" both ways...in a close game the final minutes are what counts.  And that went in their favor.

16 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

I love blaming the ref for the loss. How about lack of ability to do something foundational like I don’t know, hit free throws??’ Gimme a break with blaming the refs. I can point out 10 stupid mistakes that would have easily negated a couple of bad calls. Should have never been in that position. NCAA? Are you kidding me? What’s the point? Get knocked out first game again? Come on. 

Such an inane argument. You are correct the officiating was not so bad that we had no chance. But we had two crucial possessions taken away from us by bad calls. It's not impossible to play so well that we don't need those possessions, but then you're saying we have to win by 5 for the scoreboard to say we won by 1, and if we only win by 3 we actually lose. 

38 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It's always interesting when a team wins with a helping hand from the officials - it's always "the refs were bad, both ways".  Lol. 

Had to remind a couple of my Illini friends this morning. That sequence starting from Al to Rob trip to scramble for ball to awarding Illini ball AND timeout was about as horse c--- as it gets. I'm sure the video has been sent already to league offices asking for an explanation. With that said...IU has won 8 of last 11 vs Illini and I believe each of the 3 Illini wins have been by 1 possession. 

Time to move on but will be curious to see if Archie has anything to say on his talk show. My guess is no. 

11 hours ago, 5 championships said:

What’s the feeling from everybody.. will 19 wins get us in? I fell like 19 will have us squarely on the bubble. 20 and we are a lock. 

to me its hard to call.  You never know what the committee is going to do with teams on or around the bubble.  I feel like they have hedged toward the mid major in recent years and away from Power teams that are struggling to cross the line.  19 could very well get us in.  20 could move us up a line.  We could also get to 20 and get embarrassed in our opening game of the BTT and get left out because we're not good TV for the tournament.   Every year teams with better records and resume's get left out for some reason.  I would prefer, as mentioned above, to peel off 4 straight and go into the tourney with a solid 8/9 seeding with some momentum. But if we have to pick and choose.  Lose to Minn, win over Wisc and 1 win in the BTT.  We cannot lay another egg in the opening game of the BTT.  

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

If anyone needs some help with Sarcasm I teach a graduate level course. I have multiple degree in that language. My wife has given me the distinguished title of Dr of sarcasm and BS

I have a doctorate in sarcasm. Matter of fact I am known as a sarcastic bast???!

One last thing. That officiating crew is an embarrassment to the BIG. What an absolute joke for not giving that player a Tech for throwing elbow and getting up in Robs face and then the no call in Durham elbow getting hit and then rob getting tripped. Way to much at stake in this league for that BS officiating!! Since I’ve been here I’ve only complained about officiating a couple times when IU played at Wisconsin and Hayes shot more free throw than the entire IU team and then Illinois game. That was piss poor!!

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

:coffee: - The universal language of sarcasm.  

I find it really funny with people that get my sarcasm and those that don't. I wold say that about 50% of high school referees must not get sarcasm because if they did I would have been T'ed up a whole lot more than I was. I had a reputation for get some technicals in my day and never 1 time did I ever cuss or really raise my voice. Those that got the sarcasm gave me the quick T and those that either didn't get it or thought it not warrant a T just went on. 

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Should the game have been played at the real Assembly Hall. IU would have come away with a win.  

This just in.... Illinois has renewed Under Woods contract for and  additional three years.

Seems like a dumb move considering he's yet to win anything.   Good thing our AD would never make such a move. 

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We did the same thing with CTC as soon as he has a decent season.

Definitely a move that Illinois make look back on and say what did we do? Underwood needs the extra years for recruiting...anyone gets that. Time will tell I guess but I haven't seen enough of Underwood to warrant an extension. When he loses Ayo and might lose Cockburn after this season....it could be more of a team that lost to Miami and Missouri. Some will cite top 75 recruits coming in. Tells me their fans aren't used to the ups and downs of top 75 recruits anymore. Troy was top 50. So was Perea. Sometimes the hope doesn't pan out for a few years....if at all.

Either way. I'm neutral on Underwood. Doesn't seem to be a giant dbag that they've employed over there before (minus Self). He was probably happy to get his first win vs IU.

Archived