Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree but it always is. I can’t think of a game where I thought a B1G game was officiated well. They are just terrible abs have been for years. They let the emotion of the home team get to them.

Coach speak:  we had chances

Truth:  this was obvious in crunch time

Just now, BGleas said:

I hate to blame officiating, and yes we could have done things to win despite the officiating, but it’s virtually impossible to win a close game on the road, or really any close game, when every singe call goes against you in the last two minutes. That was just terrible. 

I am almost never a blame the refs guy, but this is a blatant exception. Especially on the Durham three.

I am sorry but that was the biggest hose jobs by the refs I have seen this year.  Every time they went to the basket we got a fouled called and when we went to the basket and got clobbered but no calls.  Have no idea how they missed that elbow that Williams hit RP with but I guess they are a little blind.  How was that not a ump ball at the end of the game.

I am very proud of how tough this team played and to me they outplayed UI except for the free throw discrepancy.  We out rebounded them, we hit more 3's and had more assist and them so the only difference was free throws and the refs.

Just now, BGleas said:

What do you mean back in the conversation? Yes, IU has work to do at home next week, but losing a quad 1 road game by 1point doesn’t take IU from solidly in to out of the conversation. 

Oh no I agree I worded it wrong. Sorry. I mean to me I think we are still in even with the two loses this week. Probably just dropped us to the last 10 seed right now. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree but it always is. I can’t think of a game where I thought a B1G game was officiated well. They are just terrible abs have been for years. They let the emotion of the home team get to them.

They were "normal' B1G horrible all game, but the three calls at the end put it over the top. They took away nearly any chance we had to win. 

Al should have been shooting for the lead with 30 seconds left. We executed the missed free throw perfectly, only to have Phinisee get fouled without a call and a timeout granted that should have been a held ball possession to us. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Likely cost us an NCAA tournament appearance.  Sigh.

Huh? If anything it improved it. Seriously gang. This was a very good team that is developing right in front of us. If Al has a chance at the line down 2 with 3 free throws it might be a win.....and whatever the officiating did there deciding Illini had control of the ball was just a joke. 

I seeing nothing but positives right. Cost us a tourney appearance? My second wow today.

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I am almost never a blame the refs guy, but this is a blatant exception. Especially on the Durham three.

I also think the difference here isn’t a bad call or two, it’s that every single call in the last two minutes of a close game went against us, when they should have put us on the line for 5 free throws. 

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Didn’t watch the game, but according to Twitter and here the guys played well, but the refs really hurt us at the end.

Can someone elaborate on Illinois throwing elbows and getting away with it? Everyone seems to talk about an elbow against Rob but nothing was called? 

I didn’t get to watch, was at the park with the kiddos.

Rob and a Ill player (Williams?) tied up , then the guy threw his elbow at Rob's head and followed it up by getting in his face while Rob stayed cool.  Refs did nothing.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They were "normal' B1G horrible all game, but the three calls at the end put it over the top. They took away nearly any chance we had to win. 

Al should have been shooting for the lead with 30 seconds left. We executed the missed free throw perfectly, only to have Phinisee get fouled without a call and a timeout granted that should have been a held ball possession to us. 

I am not disagreeing but I have always had the belief that never put yourself in a position where the refs can win/lose a game for you. We hit those last free throws and the trip/fall time out call doesn’t happen and we’re tied But I agree it wasn’t called well today

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I also think the difference here isn’t a bad call or two, it’s that every single call in the last two minutes of a close game went against us, when they should have put us on the line for 5 free throws. 

I know, I am just too frustrated to type it all out.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Huh? If anything it improved it. Seriously gang. This was a very good team that is developing right in front of us. If Al has a chance at the line down 2 with 3 free throws it might be a win.....and whatever the officiating did there deciding Illini had control of the ball was just a joke. 

I seeing nothing but positives right. Cost us a tourney appearance? My second wow today.

I agree, we are passing the eye test.  Definitely a tournament team

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

Rob and a Ill player (Williams?) tied up , then the guy threw his elbow at Rob's head and followed it up by getting in his face while Rob stayed cool.  Refs did nothing.

Did they review it, because that’s a reviewable play? Thanks for the reply. 

I have quit watching our road games because I have a little temper with games, so I DVR them to avoid the anger lol.

Disappointed but once again I'm pleased with the effort. A few thoughts:

*We had different guys hit big shots.

*Would have liked to see Trayce hit those two freethows. Bad time to miss the only two of the game.

*Refs missed some calls with the biggest being hitting of Durhams elbow on that three.

*Rob played a good game. Yes, he lost his footing at the end but it was an effort mistake.

*We can still make the tourney. Need to beat Minnesota Wednesday.

*Some of our fans need to gain perspective and quite attacking OUR kids.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not disagreeing but I have always had the belief that never put yourself in a position where the refs can win/lose a game for you. We hit those last free throws and the trip/fall time out cash doesn’t happen abs we’re tired. But I agree it wasn’t called well today

So you have to blow everyone out or else it's your fault you lose when there is a series of terrible calls against you? That's absurd. 

Just now, JaybobHoosier said:

Did they review it, because that’s a reviewable play? Thanks for the reply. 

I have quit watching our road games because I have a little temper with games, so I DVR them to avoid the anger lol.

They did review it...

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not disagreeing but I have always had the belief that never put yourself in a position where the refs can win/lose a game for you. We hit those last free throws and the trip/fall time out cash doesn’t happen abs we’re tired. But I agree it wasn’t called well today

True, but the refs call the foul on Al’s three correctly and IU has the ball with the lead there instead of down 2. It completely changes the “position we put ourselves in”. 

Archived