Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We win one more game and will be in the tournament and that is a good thing.  Why do some get so upset over an outcome of the game where they come to a message board and make fools of themselves.

I don't think winning one more cuts it.  That would mean either having a horrible loss to Northwestern or potentially a 3rd loss to Purdue in the BTT.  We don't lose 3 times to Purdue and get in ahead of them.

I feel in my heart of hearts that Archie really “gets it”. This team isn’t ready yet to be great but there’s improvement throughout the season. It’s so refreshing to see a team improve going into March instead of peaking in January. I think we’ll have a top 25 team next year and we’ll be even better after that. 

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think winning one more cuts it.  That would mean either having a horrible loss to Northwestern or potentially a 3rd loss to Purdue in the BTT.  We don't lose 3 times to Purdue and get in ahead of them.

I see your point,  but I don’t think Purdue wins against Iowa and Rutgers is no sure thing either. I’m not sure they are even going to be in contention for a spot unless they win the whole damn thing.

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That was all one sided.  Williams lost his mind and Rob did nothing wrong in terms of out of play aggression. 

I have seen guys get Teed up for a lot less.  It was warranted here IMO. 

Before he brought an elbow to rob, announcer made some comment it wasnt at the head.  Joke

20 minutes ago, DWB said:

You could be right...but wouldn't it be nice to see them at least make an attempt?

I hear what you're saying, but we just don't have the talent to dominate good teams...

I DO see a lot of improvement in a lot of areas for this team though, and I'm proud of how they played today...

On one hand, blaming the officials is weak because you can’t rely on them....especially B1G officials. A good team doesn’t let the game come down to a call or two.

On the other hand, we kept the game close, battled, faced an intense Cockburn 😎, and were then on the ass end of THREE CRUCIAL calls/no-calls right in a row at the most crucial time in the game.  That’s tough to overcome, I don’t care what team you are. 

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We are not losing to Wisconsin on Senior Day.

Doubtful with Wisconsin's pack it in grind it out style.  Do you trust Archie to reign in Devonte when he realizes it's his last game ever in AH and he starts chucking it from the cheap seats each and every possession?  I don't. Bad bad matchup.

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Before he brought an elbow to rob, announcer made some comment it wasnt at the head.  Joke

Yeah, I was disappointed in Shon Morris for once...he overlooked almost every bad call and broke out his Illinois pom-poms a couple of times (don't know why...he's a Northwestern grad)...

He's usually pretty good...

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Doubtful with Wisconsin's pack it in grind it out style.  Do you trust Archie to reign in Devonte when he realizes it's his last game ever in AH and he starts chucking it from the cheap seats each and every possession?  I don't. Bad bad matchup.

I think DEVONTE is going to go off so he and Deron make the NCAA Tourney!! It will be his last game in the hall!! And he and Deron will cement our NCAA bid

Can't complain about the effort. Great heart all game long. Left it all on the court. If we play consistently at that intensity level in our last two, I think we win out at home. A big if perhaps, but I think it would get the job done.

I hate the whole, "you can never blame the refs, you just have to make enough plays to counter the bad calls" line of thought.  I think there are absolutely instances when the officials impact the game.  I think that is especially true in the Big Ten because the league consistently allows its refs to be unaccountable for the horrible way they are impacted by the game's location when it comes to deciding how to call a game.

I think the way the Big officials call games hurts the league when we get into the NCAA tournament because the bull crap officiating tends to get thrown out the window.  The "better" teams get used to a certain style of play that they cannot get away with outside of the league.  Cockburn put his shoulder into a man and used it to clear space almost every time he touched the ball down low today.  He was not called for an offensive foul once.  I don't believe that happens outside of Champaign.

Swallowing a whistle or blowing it at certain points in a game absolutely impacts the game.  Indiana did play pretty darn well on the road.  You should not have to play the perfect bleeping game every time you leave your gym in order to overcome sh** officiating.  Teams have to do that all the time in the BIG.  Having a bunch of 10-10 to 12-8 teams in the league isn't good for anyone if the main reason that is occurring is because of everyone getting homered whenever they go on the road.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I was disappointed in Shon Morris for once...he overlooked almost every bad call and broke out his Illinois pom-poms a couple of times (don't know why...he's a Northwestern grad)...

He's usually pretty good...

Thought the same thing on multiple occasions.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Epitome of Williams trash. Same official who ate it twice in the final 30 was eating it there. 

The guys on Assembly Hall was upset about this not being a tech since Hunter got one the other game for putting his finger up to his mouth.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I doubt we will be playing Purdue in the first game unless one of us is the 12 and the other is 13 which I don't see happening/

This was a good performance.   Just highlights how hard it is to win conference road games and how unfortunate the Maryland loss is.  Also there have been a lot of fringe teams like Texas and Providence making pushes so need 2 more wins to feel 100 percent confident of NCAA bid

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm a bit surprised anyone thinks we are at any risk of missing the tournament. I mean sure, if we completely collapse, I guess we could miss but the way we are playing that seems incredibly unlikely. 

I would say that we’re just as likely to lose two out of the next three games as we are to win two of the next three.  And that could very well be the difference between making the tourney and missing it.  It’s gonna be down to the wire.

Archived