Conference Standings/Big Ten Tourney Thread

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question. If we end up 10-10 and so does Purdue and we both lose our 1st game of the BTT, how in the world does the committee take us over Purdue.  We have no argument  lower NET lower seed in BTT  and 0-2 in the head to head.  This is my nightmare just hope and pray it does not come to fruition 

Because if you look at our resumes one is just stronger. Purdue lost to Florida St. We beat them by almost 20. Purdue lost to Texas (who would be about 12 the in Big 10). Purdue lost to Marquette...who would be about the same in the Big 10. Purdue's problem has nothing to do with us. They lost by double digits to Nebraska. Had a hail mary come from behind victory vs Northwestern. Butler beat them by 10. Illinois beat them by 100. 

To answer your question. Our resume is stronger. That's why they take us over Purdue. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because if you look at our resumes one is just stronger. Purdue lost to Florida St. We beat them by almost 20. Purdue lost to Texas (who would be about 12 the in Big 10). Purdue lost to Marquette...who would be about the same in the Big 10. Purdue's problem has nothing to do with us. They lost by double digits to Nebraska. Had a hail mary come from behind victory vs Northwestern. Butler beat them by 10. Illinois beat them by 100. 

To answer your question. Our resume is stronger. That's why they take us over Purdue. 

They will also have 17 wins to our 19 in that scenario.

Purdue's net ranking is an enigma, as is IU's. Neither deserves to be where they are.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here is my argument.  We are in the last 4 in they 1st 4 out discussion. I cant see a committee saying that teams with similar records same conference record and beat the other both times they played and take us over Purdue. No one would be up in arms but our fans if they take PU , but I could see lots of talk if they take us over PU. 1 week ago I thought win 2 more and we are set, not as confident today 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question. If we end up 10-10 and so does Purdue and we both lose our 1st game of the BTT, how in the world does the committee take us over Purdue.  We have no argument  lower NET lower seed in BTT  and 0-2 in the head to head.  This is my nightmare just hope and pray it does not come to fruition 

Well, if we both end up 10-10 in the Big Ten and lose our first game in the BTT, that means we just lost to Northwestern or Nebraska, which is not a good thing, and is far worse than our head to head comparison against Purdue.  It puts a truly bad loss on our resume.  That said, 20-12 in the Big Ten this year almost has to get you in, so it may actually be good for Purdue as well.  The committee may feel obligated to take them.  

25 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

They will also have 17 wins to our 19 in that scenario.

Purdue's net ranking is an enigma, as is IU's. Neither deserves to be where they are.

They may not be deserved but they are what they are. These arguments work if we are clearly in and PU is clearly on bubble.  The problem is what if we both are fighting for the final spot.

The committee has to decide, do you take the more deserving team? Do you take the better team? We are not better they beat us twice. Are more deserving resume says so. 2 more wins are not a guarantee IMO

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, if we both end up 10-10 in the Big Ten and lose our first game in the BTT, that means we just lost to Northwestern or Nebraska, which is not a good thing, and is far worse than our head to head comparison against Purdue.  It puts a truly bad loss on our resume.  That said, 20-12 in the Big Ten this year almost has to get you in, so it may actually be good for Purdue as well.  The committee may feel obligated to take them.  

So 11 teams get in?

Any way you slice it we simply have to hitch up our big-boy britches and string together some good basketball...if we do, we'll win and be in...if not, we'll play in the NIT...

Now is not the time to lay an egg...we've competed much better in our last few games, but for some reason it seems so fragile to me...

I wish I had 100% confidence that this team will come out playing hard and smart.

@rico said it best..."we can beat anybody in this league...and lose to anybody too." 

We'll start seeing tonight...

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So now that Purdue has beaten Iowa, the only way IU avoids playing on the first day of the BTT is if they win out.  Here’s hoping...

We can still win out and be the 11th seed because if Purdue wins and UM wins one game we would all be 10-10.  I would doubt that no other conference could have their 1tth place 10 be a .500 team in conference.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We will be playing the first day in almost any scenario. My question committee wise is does 10-10 look like a tie for 8 with 3 other teams or do they say indiana finished 11. The extra win may help and o prefer the bottom half in that scenario above as well.  

If the committee is being honest  they don't look at conference standings at all when comparing teams.  They look at each teams individual resume and don't care where you finished in your conference.  Remember the famous Mike Davis quote that we finished 4th in the big ten and still did not get in over Minnesota who finished 5th.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We will be playing the first day in almost any scenario. My question committee wise is does 10-10 look like a tie for 8 with 3 other teams or do they say indiana finished 11. The extra win may help and o prefer the bottom half in that scenario above as well.  

That's my thoughts. Any extra wins only help and with everything on the line and you lose in first round of BTT you deserve to be NIT bound

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If the committee is being honest  they don't look at conference standings at all when comparing teams.  They look at each teams individual resume and don't care where you finished in your conference.  Remember the famous Mike Davis quote that we finished 4th in the big ten and still did not get in over Minnesota who finished 5th.

Oh the glory days back when we were not satisfied about a 4th place finish. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oh the glory days back when we were not satisfied about a 4th place finish. 

Being terrified of losing in the 11 vs. 14 game is a pretty sad state of affairs. Kinda funny how everyone here assumes it’s pretty much impossible that IU can string together back-to-back wins on Wednesday and Thursday... BTT has really done a number on us, lol.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that getting the 10th/11th seed shouldn’t really matter.  No way should this team lose to Nebraska/Northwestern.  If they do, they absolutely don’t deserve to get in. But if they win like they should, they’re in pretty much the exact same spot they’d be in if they got the 10 seed, just with one more win overall.

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Being terrified of losing in the 11 vs. 14 game is a pretty sad state of affairs. Kinda funny how everyone here assumes it’s pretty much impossible that IU can string together back-to-back wins on Wednesday and Thursday... BTT has really done a number on us, lol.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that getting the 10th/11th seed shouldn’t really matter.  No way should this team lose to Nebraska/Northwestern.  If they do, they absolutely don’t deserve to get in. But if they win like they should, they’re in pretty much the exact same spot they’d be in if they got the 10 seed, just with one more win overall.

Exactly.  

I just don't see where 20 wins and 10-10 in the B1G gets us left out.  Not with the strength of the conference thos year.  20 seems to be a magic number, as well as our quad 1 wins and no bad losses. The FSU win is also a huge feather in our cap.

The only negative could be losing to Neb/Northwestern in the tourney.  Take care of that to get 21 wins and there's no debate.  Unfortunately the committee has no consistency in what they claim to be the basis for their selections. They move the goalposts to fit their needs.

Last year we were the metrics darlings, but didn't have the wins.  A scenario where one conference team has 20 wins and another has 17, with the same conference record, should be a no brainer. But who knows with the secretive selection committee. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I just don't see where 20 wins and 10-10 in the B1G gets us left out.  Not with the strength of the conference thos year.  20 seems to be a magic number, as well as our quad 1 wins and no bad losses. The FSU win is also a huge feather in our cap.

The only negative could be losing to Neb/Northwestern in the tourney.  Take care of that to get 21 wins and there's no debate.  Unfortunately the committee has no consistency in what they claim to be the basis for their selections. They move the goalposts to fit their needs.

Last year we were the metrics darlings, but didn't have the wins.  A scenario where one conference team has 20 wins and another has 17, with the same conference record, should be a no brainer. But who knows with the secretive selection committee. 

I would agree and it makes perfect sense but when that team with 3 lees wins is 2-0 against you I am afraid it could come into play

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know we don't like the what if games but those Maryland and Arkansas game has us in this situation.  Win those two games we are talking about seeding and not that we have to win these last two games to get in.

While true, we can also play the 'What if we lost to Northwestern at home' game,.    

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would agree and it makes perfect sense but when that team with 3 lees wins is 2-0 against you I am afraid it could come into play

That's irrelevant. If we have 20 wins and Purdue has 17 our resumes aren't even being compared. There looking at seeding for IU and comparing Purdue to other bubble teams. 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We can look at all the projections we want but we really don't know what this committee will look at and don't know what they will put emphasis on.  If they are truthful about the criteria that conference affiliation and where you finish in the conference does not come into play.  If we win out and Purdue wins we both will be 10-10.  We will play on the first day and probably against Neb and we win that one and Purdue loses their first game we get in over them even if we lose our second game.  In that scenario Purdue would be 17-15 and we would be 21-12 and those records and the analytics is what they would look at.

Archived