Jerome Hunter's Improvement

Just looking over stats, and in the last 11 games, Jerome is hitting 45% (13-29) of his 3 pointers. I know a lot of people on this board with a better grasp of offense said we needed a wing that can shoot 3s...well, here he is...

Yet, we're only getting him 2.6 shots per game? Shouldn't we run a few more plays for him?

I understand we sacrifice defense and some rebounding (although I think he's improving in both departments) if he's in there for Justin...

I'm a staunch CAM supporter, but I have to say I was pissed when right after Jerome hit his 2 3s in a row CAM took him out...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Just looking over stats, and in the last 11 games, Jerome is hitting 45% (13-29) of his 3 pointers. I know a lot of people on this board with a better grasp of offense said we needed a wing that can shoot 3s...well, here he is...

Yet, we're only getting him 2.6 shots per game? Shouldn't we run a few more plays for him?

I understand we sacrifice defense and some rebounding (although I think he's improving in both departments) if he's in there for Justin...

I'm a staunch CAM supporter, but I have to say I was pissed when right after Jerome hit his 2 3s in a row CAM took him out...

Have to agree with you, that some of the recent line changes have let me scratching my head.  And it hasn't been just Jerome.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I am hoping that he will get bigger and stronger over the summer and that should help on the defensive end.  I would love to see him start at the 3 next year with Race at the 4 and TJD at the 5.

I don't know that I would even call it improvement and honestly just being more acclimated to playing college basketball. Kid didn't play a game for like 20 months and sat out a fair amount of that time without a ball even in his hands. 

RP, RT, and JH have a healthy off season... I think all three will look like different players next year. Their developments have been stunted by injuries. 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Keeping them fresh for the Final Four :coffee:

Well. That was a serious issue with Coach Crean, early into his time at IU. He tended to burn his players out, season end. In swimming, they call it tapering.  I know you may have not been serious.  However, there is some merit to what you are saying.  Got to get out of the BTT,  first, in order to qualify for the NCAAT.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I know we get on Archie fro the sub patterns but I see a lot of coaches doing this especially after the first time out.  The other day Izzo subbed two guys out after they started out on fire 17-5 and the next 10 minutes only scored 13 points.

Getting on coaches for sub patterns is a complete waste of time. We don't know everything that goes into those decisions. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Getting on coaches for sub patterns is a complete waste of time. We don't know everything that goes into those decisions. 

I totally agreed. That is why I tempered my earlier response. But as a tv viewer.  Some subs still leave me confused. Not knocking Coach Miller.  Just wish I knew more for the decision to take a guy out, who seems to be on a roll

If Luka Garza can play 35+ minutes per game,  I say ride the HOT player to the next TV timeout.  Plenty of breaks in today's college game.  However, Jerome may be the exception since he is still getting into game shape.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Impressive, considering that has happened in the B1G and not against the ooc schedule.

1 minute ago, BDB said:

If Luka Garza can play 35+ minutes per game,  I say ride the HOT player to the next TV timeout.  Plenty of breaks in today's college game.  However, Jerome may be the exception since he is still getting into game shape.

Garza trained like a Navy Seal last summer. He's an exception.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't know that I would even call it improvement and honestly just being more acclimated to playing college basketball. Kid didn't play a game for like 20 months and sat out a fair amount of that time without a ball even in his hands. 

RP, RT, and JH have a healthy off season... I think all three will look like different players next year. Their developments have been stunted by injuries. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Understand on both points, but with this teams offensive struggles, and the way some talk about how a reliable shooter at the 3 would also boost our inside game, I have to wonder why we aren't running more plays for him...

That said, the next time one of our guards drives to the hoop and kicks it out to an open shooter, will be the first...our guards seem to never have their heads up going to the basket...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand on both points, but with this teams offensive struggles, and the way some talk about how a reliable shooter at the 3 would also boost our inside game, I have to wonder why we aren't running more plays for him...

That said, the next time one of our guards drives to the hoop and kicks it out to an open shooter, will be the first...our guards seem to never have their heads up going to the basket...

both of Hunters 3's yesterday was from a guard who kicked it out to him

Race and Jerome continue to see minutes increase. And both have been improving. With their history, I have to believe the coaches and training staff is being smart and looking big picture. 

We can say "play them 35 minutes,  they are hot". But is does not seem that simple with these two. 

They are young men with serious injury issues, not the video game characters us fans sometimes view them as.

I am watching them both come along. And it speaks well to our future.

Glad you mentioned Jerome's 3 point success! I feel like people who don't watch most of the games or those who aren't IU fans just look at his 29% season 3pt% and assume he's a bad shooter. A little after the MSU game I began keeping track of how the team has shot from three, and this is how everybody has been shooting since the game at Nebraska (12 games for those that have played every single game)

image.png.25f6634a5f06737e00f4cddbb2b82934.png  

Just now, IUFLA said:

Ok then, third time...

Just saying, we're not very good at it...

We're not very good at it because we don't have enough shooters/offensive skill to put ourselves in position to make many or enough of those drives to begin with. 

People say "play through TJD" it isn't all that simple when teams can consistently double off of certain players and clog the lane. Just saying. Shooting well covers up a lot of other poor play. Our defense and rebounding is pretty damn good honestly, we just cant fing shoot.  

Just now, PritchardPutBack said:

Glad you mentioned Jerome's 3 point success! I feel like people who don't watch most of the games or those who aren't IU fans just look at his 29% season 3pt% and assume he's a bad shooter. A little after the MSU game I began keeping track of how the team has shot from three, and this is how everybody has been shooting since the game at Nebraska (12 games for those that have played every single game)

image.png.25f6634a5f06737e00f4cddbb2b82934.png  

yesterday on Assembly Call they said IU is ranked 6th in 3 point shooting in the big ten at 32% and that just is a bad sign for the big ten.  If 32% from 3 is one of the top p[ercentages in the conference that is terrible.

Its nice to see Hunters work paying off.  I know some were left scratching their heads with his play when the season started, bit damn this kid had a bunch of rust to shake off.  I think if he can stay healthy and have a summer in the weight room conditioning and not rehabing, next year we will see the player that had Romeo gushing to his parents about.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree. We really barely know everything that goes into it. The best offensive player I ever played with was a teammate I had in college. We were in a good D2 conference and this kid could come in and put up 15 points in a matter of minutes. He was a machine offensively. Guess what? He barely played, and when he did he usually was yanked quickly. 

All of his buddies would come to games and yell and scream for Coach to put him in, and people on campus would wonder why he didn't play. You know why? While he was getting those 15 points he completely abandoned our offensive sets and went totally rogue, which you'd only know if you knew our sets and team. He also would go rogue defensively, often leaving his man completely and ruining our rotations and help defense, which again you might only notice if you had scouted out schemes. It wasn't like he was giving up points because his man to took him one on one, it was because he never took the time to learn our rotations and didn't really care. 

His attitude was, and he would literally say this, "if I score 15 and my man scores 14, we win by 1!". 

Sorry, that's a really long way of agreeing with you. Yes, Hunter's shooting is a huge boost and it was great when he hit those 2 3's in the second half. But, he was also constantly getting beaten off the dribble, and we don't know what else was going on in terms of scheme, rotations, etc. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We don't really run/no one really runs a lot of set plays for off the ball screens for shooters anymore. A lot of that is because everyone will have them scouted or kids have played against that set before and they'll either jump the pass or simply switch out and it will be a wasted play. 

Basically everything is predicated on dribble penetration whether its off a ball screen or in transition and then go from there. The two times we got Jerome shots yesterday was not from any sort of a set play. (pretty sure)

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. We really barely know everything that goes into it. The best offensive player I ever played with was a teammate I had in college. We were in a good D2 conference and this kid could come in and put up 15 points in a matter of minutes. He was a machine offensively. Guess what? He barely played, and when he did he usually was yanked quickly. 

All of his buddies would come to games and yell and scream for Coach to put him in, and people on campus would wonder why he didn't play. You know why? While he was getting those 15 points he completely abandoned our offensive sets and went totally rogue, which you'd only know if you knew our sets and team. He also would go rogue defensively, often leaving his man completely and ruining our rotations and help defense, which again you might only notice if you had scouted out schemes. It wasn't like he was giving up points because his man to took him one on one, it was because he never took the time to learn our rotations and didn't really care. 

His attitude was, and he would literally say this, "if I score 15 and my man scores 14, we win by 1!". 

Sorry, that's a really long way of agreeing with you. Yes, Hunter's shooting is a huge boost and it was great when he hit those 2 3's in the second half. But, he was also constantly getting beated off the dribble, and we don't know what else was going on in terms of scheme, rotations, etc. 

I do remember one time him vividly getting whipped off the dribble. I do think he will improve in that area. He did not guard the perimeter in HS. There are times this year he has been really solid defensively. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I do remember one time him vividly getting whipped off the dribble. I do think he will improve in that area. He did not guard the perimeter in HS. There are times this year he has been really solid defensively. 

Absolutely, and completely agree. He has had some really good defensive performances, though yesterday was not one of them and it probably cost him some minutes. 

It will be really interesting to see Hunter with a full offseason of training. I know we haven't seen nearly his full game yet, but I do wonder what his full game looks like? Clearly he has the ability to be a good spot-up 3pt shooter and he's shown some ability to operate from the block. I haven't seen much in terms of a handle or being able to get to the basket off the dribble. I wonder if he has that or if he can add that to his game?

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

yesterday on Assembly Call they said IU is ranked 6th in 3 point shooting in the big ten at 32% and that just is a bad sign for the big ten.  If 32% from 3 is one of the top p[ercentages in the conference that is terrible.

Yeah the Big Ten is definitely not doing too hot from 3 this year. When you look at team 3pt% the highest ranked Big Ten team is Ohio State at 17 with 37.8% for the season and BYU is first in the nation at 42%. This is the full conference 3% that they mentioned though

image.png.0974782d29d465ba332f16a80e0d8b43.png

If you want to feel a little better about IU only shooting 32% from three, going into the game at Nebraska we were shooting 29.72% from 3 (EDIT said from the field and not from three originally)

Archived