Sampson James enters transfer portal

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone stating that LEO is just a slogan that’s empty and it’s the exact opposite behind the scenes knows ZERO about the coaches, players and program in general. That’s laughable. While the James decision is puzzling I think it has quite a bit to do with a rash decision by a young kid who just lost a strength coach he was close to. As far as Cronk the kid wanted to play OT and he wouldn’t have at IU. He had a starting guard spot and didn’t want it. So it sucks but can’t do much if he wasn’t going to budge and play guard. 

4 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

So what's his take? 

It appears to be Bear Down from the scoop, but as always no proof to the comments.  On the Sampson article:

“DB leaving was probably the last straw, but SJ has been on the edge of leaving for awhile. Need to be a little careful here, but IU is a one back offense that recruits like they run two backs, and they don’t. MH likes to ride one guy, and that is to the exclusion of others. Gest, Ronnie, SJ, there’s a theme here. Winters doesn’t fit that. He just wasn’t ready to be away from home. But the other guys didn’t feel good about some things.

Still some issues, we’ll see how things work out. There could be some more stuff after spring and before fall. Never a dull moment.”

also in another:

Lots of turnover among players and coaches. Told you guys a few weeks ago that there was a lot going on behind the LEO curtain, and it may not be done yet. Walker leaving wasn’t something they saw coming at all.”

Can’t remember where he said something a few weeks before.  Just someone posting on the internet but was interesting to read if true, who knows

The theory that IU favors one back in practice but recruits in theory as if they run a two-back scheme is interesting. Obviously don't know if it's true and not sure I agree. Though I would say the one back approach seems consistent going all the way back to the Wilson era.

Another interesting idea to throw into the discussion - clearly a completely speculative one - Hart's relationship to Stevie Scott goes back to before he was a sought-after recruit. There's some Syracuse connections, and IIRC Hart has known Scott's father in some fashion since childhood. There's kind of a parallel to the Ballou-James relationship in a sense - a mentorship role for both coaches. Did the combo of all three - Ballou departing, James thinking it was going to be more Scott's show and less of a split the carries approach, and a perception - fairly or not - that Hart has a soft spot for Scott - converge in James' decision making process. 

There could be other factors at play as well, of course. Whatever the case, it's disappointing if James goes. If, however, he didn't feel he would get his fair share of carries, I can't say I blame him. On the other hand, if he just wants a chance to be the workhorse, I don't begrudge him that desire. Yet I'd view it  a bit differently if that's true, but he was assured he'd still be significantly involved in the offense.

49 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

The theory that IU favors one back in practice but recruits in theory as if they run a two-back scheme is interesting. Obviously don't know if it's true and not sure I agree. Though I would say the one back approach seems consistent going all the way back to the Wilson era.

Another interesting idea to throw into the discussion - clearly a completely speculative one - Hart's relationship to Stevie Scott goes back to before he was a sought-after recruit. There's some Syracuse connections, and IIRC Hart has known Scott's father in some fashion since childhood. There's kind of a parallel to the Ballou-James relationship in a sense - a mentorship role for both coaches. Did the combo of all three - Ballou departing, James thinking it was going to be more Scott's show and less of a split the carries approach, and a perception - fairly or not - that Hart has a soft spot for Scott - converge in James' decision making process. 

There could be other factors at play as well, of course. Whatever the case, it's disappointing if James goes. If, however, he didn't feel he would get his fair share of carries, I can't say I blame him. On the other hand, if he just wants a chance to be the workhorse, I don't begrudge him that desire. Yet I'd view it  a bit differently if that's true, but he was assured he'd still be significantly involved in the offense.

What?

Coleman 131 carries

Houston 112 carries 

Coleman 270

Roberts 107

Howard 196

Redding 226

Redding 253 

Natee 60

Ellison 143

Gest 93

Scott 230

Walker 35 

We've been balanced when we've had the ability to. We were especially balanced under Wilson. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What?

Coleman 131 carries

Houston 112 carries 

Coleman 270

Roberts 107

Howard 196

Redding 226

Redding 253 

Natee 60

Ellison 143

Gest 93

Scott 230

Walker 35 

We've been balanced when we've had the ability to. We were especially balanced under Wilson. 

I know some injuries played some part in those numbers...but would you agree that we use a "featured back?"

1 hour ago, rico said:

Fair enough.

I think next year... assuming work ethic, trust from the coaches, and passing blocking abilities were the same: the carries were going to literally be equal. I've seen a past player mention something that Sampson wasn't going to class. We'll see how this story unfolds. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think next year... assuming work ethic, trust from the coaches, and passing blocking abilities were the same: the carries were going to literally be equal. I've seen a past player mention something that Sampson wasn't going to class. We'll see how this story unfolds. 

I have heard that class thing myself.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

i did not know where to ask this but I saw a premium thread that I could not read but it's title is this is what I am hearing about Rodney McGraw.  Has anyone heard anything about if anything is going on with his commitment to IU.

McGraw tweeted fives days ago a video of him squatting and the caption was "#LEO"

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

i did not know where to ask this but I saw a premium thread that I could not read but it's title is this is what I am hearing about Rodney McGraw.  Has anyone heard anything about if anything is going on with his commitment to IU.

I know he said at the time that he was a big fan of Ballou.  He also committed when we still had Hagen as a DL coach, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him decommit between now and signing day.

No inside info, and he might still love IU.  I'm just guessing.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, btownqb said:

What?

Coleman 131 carries

Houston 112 carries 

Coleman 270

Roberts 107

Howard 196

Redding 226

Redding 253 

Natee 60

Ellison 143

Gest 93

Scott 230

Walker 35 

Like Rico, it's always felt more like a featured back thing to me. Maybe the lopsided years are standing out in my memory. Whatever the case, we are in agreement that Sampson's late season performance certainly would seem to have earned him a healthy role. I would have expected a fairly even carry split. 

1 hour ago, D-BONE said:

Like Rico, it's always felt more like a featured back thing to me. Maybe the lopsided years are standing out in my memory. Whatever the case, we are in agreement that Sampson's late season performance certainly would seem to have earned him a healthy role. I would have expected a fairly even carry split. 

I think there was a pretty sizable talent gap between Scott and James last year.  I think James could have been a good player eventually, but outside of the Purdue game, he had 157 yards on 59 carries for an average of 2.66 yards per carry.  His only rush over 10 yards on those 59 attempts was a 12 yard run against Michigan with 5 minutes left in a blowout.  He just wasn't in Scott's league last year.

I would agree that for the most part we've had one back with a large role, but of the last 7 years, 3 of those years were guys who still get a lot of play in the NFL.  Another year was a returner who had a 1000 yards the previous year (Redding), and 2 years were a guy (Scott) who rushed for over 1100 yards as a freshman.  6 of the last 7 years, we had a pretty elite RB leading the way.  The only year we didn't was Ellison's freshman year, and that year it was a pretty even split.

I'm sure Hart would love to have another guy close to as good as Scott.  If he did, I'd imagine we'd have a pretty even split, but we just usually have one guy who is a decent step above anybody else on the team.  I also don't think James would have put a big dent in Scott's workload next year.  More carries, yes, but I don't think it would have been close to an even split.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, bryan200088 said:

Anyone stating that LEO is just a slogan that’s empty and it’s the exact opposite behind the scenes knows ZERO about the coaches, players and program in general. That’s laughable. While the James decision is puzzling I think it has quite a bit to do with a rash decision by a young kid who just lost a strength coach he was close to. As far as Cronk the kid wanted to play OT and he wouldn’t have at IU. He had a starting guard spot and didn’t want it. So it sucks but can’t do much if he wasn’t going to budge and play guard. 

Never played football.  Can someone explain to me why a lineman would care about tackle versus guard?  Doesn't the NFL want versatility on the offensive line these days?

I’m no professional on this but possibly because tackles make more money correct? Someone with more knowledge chime in. I mean that would be one reason. I think Coy has just always played tackle so he thinks he’s a tackle and thinks he can play it at the top level. But IU had Jones and Bedford they were going to go with and evidently he wanted no part of starting at guard. (Even though that’s his most likely position in the NFL if he made it) Thing is Bedford is better. Coy probably wouldn’t want to hear that but it’s the truth.

1 hour ago, bryan200088 said:

I’m no professional on this but possibly because tackles make more money correct? Someone with more knowledge chime in. I mean that would be one reason. I think Coy has just always played tackle so he thinks he’s a tackle and thinks he can play it at the top level. But IU had Jones and Bedford they were going to go with and evidently he wanted no part of starting at guard. (Even though that’s his most likely position in the NFL if he made it) Thing is Bedford is better. Coy probably wouldn’t want to hear that but it’s the truth.

Yeah, I guess tackles are considered more important in the NFL, but teams regularly move lineman around due to injuries, so versatility is valued.  Surely, he knows that.  He also needs to realize that he needs to make a roster first, which leads me back to versatility.  

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, I guess tackles are considered more important in the NFL, but teams regularly move lineman around due to injuries, so versatility is valued.  Surely, he knows that.  He also needs to realize that he needs to make a roster first, which leads me back to versatility.  

To be a tackle in the NFL it's all about footwork. 

12 hours ago, bryan200088 said:

This is the part that makes it strange to me. The thing that was best for IU was also best for his pro stock. It isn’t a situation where he had to choose between what was best for his future or the team because they were the same thing. 

Archived