Brooks Barnhizer Commits to Northwestern

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Great call ... Plus I generally LOVE coaches kids so that’s a plus ....I haven’t gotten to see him live ....can anyone who has give an opinion on if 1. he is a true 6’6 or just listed that tall and then 2. If you’ve seen him a lot is he a guy who plays mid range slashes and gets to the basket but ends up guarded by bigger kids because of his size thus giving him lots of open shots when he’s at the perimeter or is he Often defended by guards and taking contested perimeter shots ?

shooting 45% wide open is impressive enough but if he’s got guards or athletic bigs keeping him off the line and he’s still knocking down at that rate then I’m REALLY intrigued 

This is a good point. I graduated with an Indiana All Star Jared Chambers who was legit 6’5/6’6 and most of the schools we played couldn’t match up with him. He would take outside and make a quick crossover and step back and bust a 3 or drive right passed slow flat footed bigger kids or just take a smaller kid into the post and finish at the rim. Once he went to college he struggled (amongst personal reasons) with athletic guys his size. Be interesting to hear how this kid fares.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, dgambill said:

This is a good point. I graduated with an Indiana All Star Jared Chambers who was legit 6’5/6’6 and most of the schools we played couldn’t match up with him. He would take outside and make a quick crossover and step back and bust a 3 or drive right passed slow flat footed bigger kids or just take a smaller kid into the post and finish at the rim. Once he went to college he struggled (amongst personal reasons) with athletic guys his size. Be interesting to hear how this kid fares.

Jared killed us, just saying.  Been around lots of guys that fit the mold you are describing.  Big transition 

I haven't focused on him but he sounds very intriguing.  6'6, coaches son, lights out shooting stats.  He looks interesting.  I would like to get a better idea of what kind of athlete he is, but Archie and Bruiser would know.  Lights out shooters can just bring daggers that kill the other team.  We don't have that now and we could use it, IMO.  You can always have athletes around him.

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I haven't focused on him but he sounds very intriguing.  6'6, coaches son, lights out shooting stats.  He looks interesting.  I would like to get a better idea of what kind of athlete he is, but Archie and Bruiser would know.  Lights out shooters can just bring daggers that kill the other team.  We don't have that now and we could use it, IMO.  You can always have athletes around him.

I've watched 90% of this LC game on YouTube. This kid can flat out play. Neither Davis brother from LC could guard him. His athleticism is at least adequate. Obviously his shooting ability makes people crowd him, so it make him look a little better off the bounce than he really is, but he is SO smooth. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've watched 90% of this LC game on YouTube. This kid can flat out play. Neither Davis brother from LC could guard him. His athleticism is at least adequate. Obviously his shooting ability makes people crowd him, so it make him look a little better off the bounce than he really is, but he is SO smooth. 

Sounds really good.  You know I trust you.  Thanks for the info.

That 6'6 also helps alot for a shooter on both ends.  You need to move your feet obviously on both ends, but length can make up for alot.  He's not 6'3, he's got those extra inches.

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sounds really good.  You know I trust you.  Thanks for the info.

That 6'6 also helps alot for a shooter on both ends.  You need to move your feet obviously on both ends, but length can make up for alot.  He's not 6'3, he's got those extra inches.

Very Joe Wieskamp(ish)

We desperately need knock down shooters. We just don’t have one on the team. I think the guys we are bringing in can hit shots no doubt but most are more comfortable inside the arc and taking it to the goal. Lander is a difference maker at the point...he can get past his man meaning we are going to see him and Rob attacking and drawing the defense for open looks and drop offs at the hoop. Race and Trayce should benefit around the hoop but outside Hunter not sure we have a guy I want shooting from range. We have so many guys @ 6’5/6’6 that have similar attacking skill sets but a pure shooter we do not. I like what I’m hearing. He also shouldn’t be guarding opposing point guards and we should be able to get him off a bad matchup so his athleticism won’t be a detriment as long as he has some decent mobility. Teach him footwork and positioning that is huge in defense.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We desperately need knock down shooters. We just don’t have one on the team. I think the guys we are bringing in can hit shots no doubt but most are more comfortable inside the arc and taking it to the goal. Lander is a difference maker at the point...he can get past his man meaning we are going to see him and Rob attacking and drawing the defense for open looks and drop offs at the hoop. Race and Trayce should benefit around the hoop but outside Hunter not sure we have a guy I want shooting from range. We have so many guys @ 6’5/6’6 that have similar attacking skill sets but a pure shooter we do not. I like what I’m hearing. He also shouldn’t be guarding opposing point guards and we should be able to get him off a bad matchup so his athleticism won’t be a detriment as long as he has some decent mobility. Teach him footwork and positioning that is huge in defense.

I know it is from highlight films but Lander sure looks like he can shoot the 3 really well.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean I never say never but as things stand, it is quite unlikely he’ll get a Purdue offer. We only have 1 more spot open and we’re swinging for the fences. 

Envisioning Painter's 5-star game...

317577216_Swingandmiss.gif.fa0a0831e0e0a96614e04b9650281826.gif

29 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

I second this completely! Needs a little work on his passing I feel like but man he can shoot and looks like a competitor!! I really want him

Without going back to look at the article, I think he is averaging around 4.5 or 5 assists per game. If so, his passing probably isn't too bad.

22 minutes ago, Ajwhitis said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but if Auburn gets involved this recruitment is over. That's his dream school, especially since dad played there. 

His dad played in a total of 18 games over 3 seasons.  Not sure that constitutes a legacy recruit.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

I want this kid

On 3/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, HoosierKix said:

I second this completely! Needs a little work on his passing I feel like but man he can shoot and looks like a competitor!! I really want him

On 3/5/2020 at 6:23 PM, btownqb said:

I'm 90% in this boat

I definitely haven’t seen anything I DONT like and more room for this class if lander does reclassify 

On 3/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, go_iu_bb said:

Without going back to look at the article, I think he is averaging around 4.5 or 5 assists per game. If so, his passing probably isn't too bad.

That may be, but in the past three games I have watched of his I have seen quite a few lazy and sloppy passes to where he shows where he is passing for a long time and then gets it stolen or nearly stolen.

Archived