Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

When this team moves the ball and the guys actually move and come off screens this is a good team.  It just seems like they just can't play long stretches playing like this.  Luckily they played like this the last 7 minutes of the game.

I think that some of the issue is that we lack the confidence to hit the cutters in stride as they come open. Even just watching our highlights you can see times where a cut to the basket is made, is open, and the ballhandler hesitates until it is too late...

It is such a fine line for this team...turnovers kill us, (so we hesitate on passes), moving screen calls kill us, (so we don't set good screens), missed free throws kill us, (so we tense up), missed open shots kill us (so we over think them), 

that is one of the reasons that I think that we are close to breaking through as a program...our offense is just a beat or two off from running very effectively.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Would add we had 14 assists to 10 TO’s, and Rob had I think 5 assists and scored in double figures. 

Rob getting healthy and assertive again is a good sign heading into March 

Great call ....unfortunately this is a regular recipe this season :

shoot horribly from 3...check

shoot horribly from the line ...check

wasted movement and dribbling on offense ....check 

difference tonight you are correct ...we kept turnovers to a minimum and had more assists ...we are a talented enough team to win games where we don’t shoot well we just have to keep the effort at 100 without lapses and take care of the ball ...someone mentioned killer instinct earlier and they are right we should come out Saturday and look like we want to win by 50

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I didn’t know that ! You’ve had a fun ride then !! Do they play ?  Congrats on last season and good luck with this one you may be in 4A if you keep it up 

With the IHSAA reclass last year re-setting the success factor points, we have kind of a freebie this season.  Won't move up to 4A next year no matter what we do this season.  That said, next year will be our best team yet.  Our only senior is our 8th man, and he gets less than 5 minutes per game.  So, assuming it's very possible we make a deep run next year, if we win Regional this season, we would be at risk of moving up to 4A when the next reclass occurs.  That said, while we are #1 in 3A right now, I think we are vulnerable.  Tough game Friday night against a very good North Harrison team that can match us in size.  If we are fortunate to win sectional, the regional will likely feature 4 Top 10 teams, including a Heritage Hills team that is probably playing better than Silver Creek is right now.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

With the IHSAA reclass last year re-setting the success factor points, we have kind of a freebie this season.  Won't move up to 4A next year no matter what we do this season.  That said, next year will be our best team yet.  Our only senior is our 8th man, and he gets less than 5 minutes per game.  So, assuming it's very possible we make a deep run next year, if we win Regional this season, we would be at risk of moving up to 4A when the next reclass occurs.  That said, while we are #1 in 3A right now, I think we are vulnerable.  Tough game Friday night against a very good North Harrison team that can match us in size.  If we are fortunate to win sectional, the regional will likely feature 4 Top 10 teams, including a Heritage Hills team that is probably playing better than Silver Creek is right now.

I sure hope not because Blackford needs you guys to take heritage and Simon sherry out of regionals to limit his games  lol ......you guys handled Blackhawk Christian you think heritage hills is on that level ?

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I sure hope not because Blackford needs you guys to take heritage and Simon sherry out of regionals to limit his games  lol ......you guys handled Blackhawk Christian you think heritage hills is on that level ?

Silver Creek actually beat Heritage Hills earlier in the year in OT at the Hall of Fame Classic.  We weren't at our best that day, but they are definitely the best 3A team we faced this year.  Comparing them to Blackhawk, I would say Heritage Hills is the better overall team, but obviously Caleb Furst is capable of lifting Blackhawk up to a level where they van beat almost anyone.    

Just got done watching on my DVR, and I’m actually pretty stunned at the tone of this thread. Pretty surprised there are people not happy with this win. 

Minnesota might be in 12th place in this conference, but that’s because the Big Tencis a gauntlet. In any other conference they would be a tournament team, and they have a beast in Oturo. 

I thought we played fairly well. Phinisee locked up Carr and ran the offense really well, TJD was a stud, Brunk had maybe his best game, Durham was great curling off screens in the second half.  

Yeah, it was frustrating that we couldn’t separate, but IU was in control of that game for almost the entire game. Minnesota is a solid team, played hard, and has a lottery pick center. I thought that was a solid win. 

Confused why anyone is upset with that win?!?!

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just got done watching on my DVR, and I’m actually pretty stunned at the tone of this thread. Pretty surprised there are people not happy with this win. 

Minnesota might be in 12th place in this conference, but that’s because the Big Tencis a gauntlet. In any other conference they would be a tournament team, and they have a beast in Oturo. 

I thought we played fairly well. Phinisee locked up Carr and ran the offense really well, TJD was a stud, Brunk had maybe his best game, Durham was great curling off screens in the second half.  

Yeah, it was frustrating that we couldn’t separate, but IU was in control of that game for almost the entire game. Minnesota is a solid team, played hard, and has a lottery pick center. I thought that was a solid win. 

Not me.  Our depth came in handy.  Entire Minnesota team was absolutely gassed in the last 4 minutes.  Rob is rounding into form. Team had only 3 turnovers in second half.  I gotta feeling we smack Wisconsin.   

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah I didn't really expect to roll over them. Minnesota has been competing in games for most of the Big Ten season. Not too many no-show games. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Especially a win where it 1. Gives us a grip on our tourney fate going into Saturday 2. We didn’t have any major effort lapses and 3. We had more assists than turnovers and valued the basketball 

I've saw the same thing in both IU-Minnesota games this year...

Roughly 1:30 or so to go, down 9-10 points, IU with the ball and no foul?  Both times this season, IU ran it down to about a minute left.  It's like Pitino conceded the game or something.  Even more strange, Minnesota picked it up the last 60 seconds, fouled and cut it to a 5-point win.  As suspect as IU is at the line, why do you not foul with 90 seconds and make it a free-throw contest?

I don't get it...seems like they let a lot of time slip away to the point that it's near impossible to win even when IU doesn't score.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

Joey's best game at IU.   Although not spectacular, a good team win for us.

I saw the first half of the Wisky v. NW game, and they will be a handful for us on Saturday.

This is a team you have to almost overcommit defending the three because giving up two point shot against WIS is actually the better play it seems. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not sure what happened to him but 10+ years ago he was the best.  Now he’s not even a top 10 bracketologist.  I’d say we’d be an 8-10 seed at the moment.  Win against Wisky and Nebraska and we could get to a 7.  Win those 2 plus 2 in the BTT maybe a 6.  That’s as far ahead as I’m willing to go because we suck donkey b*lls in the BTT.

I’d love a 10 seed then you know the bracket people love drama so they for sure would want to market Archie Miller vs. his Old Dayton team. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not sure what happened to him but 10+ years ago he was the best.  Now he’s not even a top 10 bracketologist.  I’d say we’d be an 8-10 seed at the moment.  Win against Wisky and Nebraska and we could get to a 7.  Win those 2 plus 2 in the BTT maybe a 6.  That’s as far ahead as I’m willing to go because we suck donkey b*lls in the BTT.

What happened to him was he works for ESPN all smart media people leave ESPN.  Now days ESPN stands for Extra Stupid People Network

Archived