Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Confused why anyone is upset with that win?!?!

I just thought it was a tough game to watch. There were spurts where the effort was good, then it seemed to disappear for awhile. I thought we looked tired, and that's very concerning for a team that regularly plays 10 guys. 

It's also bothersome how after 30 games, little things that get screwed up snowball into much bigger problems. Example: we were up 29-23, TJD misses a layup, then they bank in a 3. Phinisee gets fouled on a 3, misses 2 of his free throws, we give up another 3. We turn it over because we can't get the ball inbounds, give up another 3, and suddenly we're losing. 

At this point in the season, it's not really worth getting too worked up about it because this team is what it is, and its problems aren't going away. Hopefully we've locked up a spot in the tournament, because I'm not confident we win Saturday. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t care who you are, in the B10 you will not beat a team soundly and every game will be a slugfest!  For those not happy about this 19th win, what else were you expecting?  I really want this next game, not because of 20 but because I HATE WISCONSIN!!!  There is no other team that I can’t stand to lose to but yet we seem to do so regularly.  The HALL Better be ROCKING & let’s run these blank right out of our building!  Lets Go HOOSIERS 

Good win. The guys played hard. Brunk gets the game ball. He really brought it in the 2nd half. Good to see RP looking like he’s rounding into form at just the right time. Good team effort. Need all of it and then some against Wisconsin. Going to be a tough one...but I’m still of the mindset we need it to secure our spot. 

1 minute ago, IUfan93 said:

Good win. The guys played hard. Brunk gets the game ball. He really brought it in the 2nd half. Good to see RP looking like he’s rounding into form at just the right time. Good team effort. Need all of it and then some against Wisconsin. Going to be a tough one...but I’m still of the mindset we need it to secure our spot. 

I like your train of thought and I also want to string together multiple games of tough play and taking care of the basketball ....if we get in I don’t want our inconsistency to make us one and done it would be great for our direction to make it to week 2

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've saw the same thing in both IU-Minnesota games this year...

Roughly 1:30 or so to go, down 9-10 points, IU with the ball and no foul?  Both times this season, IU ran it down to about a minute left.  It's like Pitino conceded the game or something.  Even more strange, Minnesota picked it up the last 60 seconds, fouled and cut it to a 5-point win.  As suspect as IU is at the line, why do you not foul with 90 seconds and make it a free-throw contest?

I don't get it...seems like they let a lot of time slip away to the point that it's near impossible to win even when IU doesn't score.

Pitino knows he has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel...

I'd bet about a minute after they exit the BTT Minny announces a change...

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pitino knows he has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel...

I'd bet about a minute after they exit the BTT Minny announces a change...

Ya know it occurred to me last night that the loss by Minny probably ended their chance at the NIT. 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was actually thinking during this game that I can’t wait to feel like that again during games in March.  That used to be how I was during every game, but the last three seasons have just beaten it out of me.  This was a must-win to keep IU in the tournament picture, a back-and-forth game with multiple lead changes in the second half... And I watched the entire game with absolutely zero emotion.  I’m still invested, I still want them to make the tournament badly... But the energy just isn’t there for me anymore.  Hopefully they give me a reason to get back into it soon, whether it’s this season or next.

Sounds like low T.  I kid.  I kid.

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I just thought it was a tough game to watch. There were spurts where the effort was good, then it seemed to disappear for awhile. I thought we looked tired, and that's very concerning for a team that regularly plays 10 guys. 

It's also bothersome how after 30 games, little things that get screwed up snowball into much bigger problems. Example: we were up 29-23, TJD misses a layup, then they bank in a 3. Phinisee gets fouled on a 3, misses 2 of his free throws, we give up another 3. We turn it over because we can't get the ball inbounds, give up another 3, and suddenly we're losing. 

At this point in the season, it's not really worth getting too worked up about it because this team is what it is, and its problems aren't going away. Hopefully we've locked up a spot in the tournament, because I'm not confident we win Saturday. 

Not trying to be a a$$ here at all, but if you watch a lot of college basketball, you would see runs like that all the time from teams much better than us.  That situation you described is certainly not reserved for our beloved Hoosiers.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just got done watching on my DVR, and I’m actually pretty stunned at the tone of this thread. Pretty surprised there are people not happy with this win. 

Minnesota might be in 12th place in this conference, but that’s because the Big Tencis a gauntlet. In any other conference they would be a tournament team, and they have a beast in Oturo. 

I thought we played fairly well. Phinisee locked up Carr and ran the offense really well, TJD was a stud, Brunk had maybe his best game, Durham was great curling off screens in the second half.  

Yeah, it was frustrating that we couldn’t separate, but IU was in control of that game for almost the entire game. Minnesota is a solid team, played hard, and has a lottery pick center. I thought that was a solid win. 

Confused why anyone is upset with that win?!?!

I just thought we seemed kind of flat. My disappointment is more with the crowd than the team. I would agree that a W is a W, though, I just don't think there's much to learn from this game - on the plus side, we were pretty balanced overall and were solid on D, but we still are having issues at the FT line. Meh. The Wisconsin game should be a much better indicator of how much this team has improved.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Ya know it occurred to me last night that the loss by Minny probably ended their chance at the NIT. 

My apologies to Toni Basil...

"Oh Ricky you're so done

Coaching seat feels like the sun

Hey Ricky, hey Ricky"

One of Brunk's best since joining us. Usual 18 and 9 from TJD and obviously all starting 5 scored in double figures. Would really like to figure out a solution to the final 3-4 minutes of first half when we seem to continually outplay or play better than our opponent to only give that lead away. Otherwise. Can't wait for Wisconsin who in an odd way I despise about as much as anyone in our league besides Purdue.

10 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I see improvements, but my comments during the in game threads should be immediately deleted after I post them.  I’m irrational, emotional, and stupid during games.  I really need to get a life honestly.....

Well you can probably say this about every poster on here so you are not alone, brother

1 hour ago, rico said:

I'm happy with the win too, but understand the concern...

We'd look like world beaters one minute, and then turn around and make a string of unforced bone-headed plays...

To be honest, Oturu should have scored 30...how many bunnies did he miss? Not to mention the blown dunk...

Like I said in the game thread, there were times when all things IU (crowd, team, coach) seemed lifeless...a couple of times the camera panned to Archie, and he seemed disconnected from the game, only to kinda wake up, and shout, "Let's go!"

Wisconsin has won 6 straight and 7 of 8...we can't have that listlessness in any facet for that game...

Personally, I think the Wisconsin game is our season...

I still think one of the major problems with this fan base is that they  see themselves as a coach so they have to dissect every little thing in a game.  Some just can't let themselves  enjoy just watching the game but have to look at every little mistake made.  To me this would have to be a miserable way to watch a game because it is for entertainment and to get away from every day stresses.  I use to be that way and it was miserable so I just now watch the game now and enjoy every win no matter how we played.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm happy with the win too, but understand the concern...

We'd look like world beaters one minute, and then turn around and make a string of unforced bone-headed plays...

To be honest, Oturu should have scored 30...how many bunnies did he miss? Not to mention the blown dunk...

Like I said in the game thread, there were times when all things IU (crowd, team, coach) seemed lifeless...a couple of times the camera panned to Archie, and he seemed disconnected from the game, only to kinda wake up, and shout, "Let's go!"

Wisconsin has won 6 straight and 7 of 8...we can't have that listlessness in any facet for that game...

Personally, I think the Wisconsin game is our season...

He should have been called for a tech for hanging on the rim after that missed dunk.

Very pleased with the win. Issues moving forward.  The only offense our opponents need to run is either hi ball screen or run post straight to ball side block. Always straight behind on the post and our guards dont work hard enough to make the post entry pass difficult.  PLEASE HIT FREE THROWS 

I didn’t see great or even good effort for about 5 minutes when minny took over the game in the first half.  Other than that I thought the effort was good.  It seems as though our droughts are coming when TJD is on the bench, and that’s to be expected. One thing I didn’t like that happened 2 times, the shot clock was winding down and RP passed the ball once to Race just inside the 3 pt line and another time to Brunk just inside the 3 line.  He needs to keep the ball as he’s the only real playmaker with the ball in his hands we have.  

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still think one of the major problems with this fan base is that they  see themselves as a coach so they have to dissect every little thing in a game.  Some just can't let themselves  enjoy just watching the game but have to look at every little mistake made.  To me this would have to be a miserable way to watch a game because it is for entertainment and to get away from every day stresses.  I use to be that way and it was miserable so I just now watch the game now and enjoy every win no matter how we played.

I don't know if you're including me in that group, but I'll say this...

I may not know the nuances to the degree that people like @btownqb or @Billingsley99 do, but I do know...

Throwing a pass at De'Ron Davis feet isn't good

Dribbling the ball off your own foot when there's no pressure isn't good

Taking 25 ft contested 3s early in the shot clock isn't good

And it doesn't take John Wooden to see that...

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I didn’t see great or even good effort for about 5 minutes when minny took over the game in the first half.  Other than that I thought the effort was good.  It seems as though our droughts are coming when TJD is on the bench, and that’s to be expected. One thing I didn’t like that happened 2 times, the shot clock was winding down and RP passed the ball once to Race just inside the 3 pt line and another time to Brunk just inside the 3 line.  He needs to keep the ball as he’s the only real playmaker with the ball in his hands we have.  

Couldn't agree more. I really don't understand what Rob is thinking sometimes, and that's two great examples. Our overall play was just kind of uneven throughout the game, and our upperclassmen continue to make the dumbest of mistakes (Devonte's lazy lob pass that led to an easy score at the other end, Justin fouling late in the game on a 3 point attempt). 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I may not know the nuances to the degree that people like @btownqb or @Billingsley99 do, but I do know...

We can all see that but what is different is how those things effect people.  I guess I watch so much college basketball and see most teams having these same problems  so I don't see it as a huge deal.  I go back to when RMK coached and how he taught our fans what good basketball was and we were very spoiled in that aspect.  so  people around my age thinks they are an expert on college coaching so they watch the game more as a coach than as a fan.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Correct. We were really solid last night. We shoot our regular percent from the FT line we win by 8, they don't hit the three with no time left, we win by 11. 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He should have been called for a tech for hanging on the rim after that missed dunk.

I actually thought that by Oturu (sp), caused the miss of the dunk, because he hung on the rim. But the "T" was certainly warranted as you say.

I try very hard to be positive about this team. I just get frustrated when we continue to make the same bonehead turnovers, time and time again, and take ill advised shots early in the clock that are not open, but rather contested. And my favorite...walking the ball up the court and wasting at least ½ of the shot clock before we're even remotely in position to run a set.

IU fans are some of the most knowledgeable in the country. And we have a lot of pride of basketball at all levels in the state. I guess some of us just aren't satisfied with the lack of progress, or I should say the "speed" of progress this late in the season. We are playing much better than earlier, but from where I sit, it looks like we're just getting up to being "competitive", rather than being "really difficult to beat".

(Scott..the first line of this post is my only response to your post. The rest is just a general rant, not directed at you) :cheers:

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There's nothing wrong with discussing a game, and the intricacies within that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to continuously call out people for wanting to do that, or think this is some sort of major issue with our fan base. It's not, and it's not like it's just unique to this fan base. One of the main reasons I come here is to discuss the specifics of the game with our fans, both positive and negative, and I generally will learn something from those discussions (or, in the case of an ugly loss, it's helpful to vent with others that understand the frustration). If you're happy with the win and think everything was great, then just move on. No one's forcing you to respond.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Of course everyone makes mistakes. Durham made a REALLY bad pass to DeRon (so bad lol)... other than that he was awesome. I really have no problem with Devonte taking 3s, basically anytime. 

But, those 3 mistakes you just mentioned.... have zero to do with our: rebounding, our ability to keep the ball out of the paint, our overall quality of shot last night being very good, our energy level in the 2nd half. 

Archived