Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Any games you will watch will have those bad plays.  I bet most other fans are not on message boards complaining about them after a huge win.

Then stop responding to me or put me on ignore. You seem incapable or unwilling to process what I'm saying, clearly get annoyed when I don't react exactly how you want me to (which you also do with others), extrapolate anything I post to extremes (I never said I expect us to be perfect), and throw out non sequitors that aren't really relevant to the points I"m trying to make or the discussion at hand (TO stats from 3 decades ago and the Syracuse example). You and I not only aren't on the same page, we're not even in the same book.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Then stop responding to me or put me on ignore. You seem incapable or unwilling to process what I'm saying, clearly get annoyed when I don't react exactly how you want me to (which you also do with others), extrapolate anything I post to extremes (I never said I expect us to be perfect), and throw out non sequitors that aren't really relevant to the points I"m trying to make or the discussion at hand (TO stats from 3 decades ago and the Syracuse example). You and I not only aren't on the same page, we're not even in the same book.

I guess I have changed and don't let the little things bother me about watching the game like I use to.  I can enjoy a game where we win and not really worry about the mistakes that happen in the game.  One I have no control over what is going on during the game so why stress about it.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I guess I have changed and don't let the little things bother me about watching the game like I use to.  I can enjoy a game where we win and not really worry about the mistakes that happen in the game.  One I have no control over what is going on during the game so why stress about it.

I'm not stressed - you insinuate that about a lot of people that aren't 100% happy and dancing over every W. I'll readily admit I was a bit nervous going into the game, because as @BGleas noted in a post yesterday, I'm not sure I totally trust this team, but I went to bed happy with the win. I saw things that concerned me during the game, things that I think should easily be fixed, and I came here to discuss them with other fans, most people disagreed, and discussion was had. That's it. 

i'm very happy we won.  i didn't think we played well or looked good, but didn't think the effort was bad.  my concern is that if we aren't any better than that, it's tough to imagine us beating Wiscy.  i really want that game.  then i'll stop worrying about making the tourney and just hope we can win a couple BTT games and actually get a decent seed.   

Whether you agree or disagree with AxnJxn, I want to just point out that his observations are well thought out and supported.  I appreciate the posts and his thinking.

Two people can analyze situations from different perspectives and come to different conclusions.  Maybe the first person can persuade the second person, or maybe not.  But, the process is part of what makes message boards go around with good discussion.

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Whether you agree or disagree with AxnJxn, I want to just point out that his observations are well thought out and supported.  I appreciate the posts and his thinking.

Two people can analyze situations from different perspectives and come to different conclusions.  Maybe the first person can persuade the second person, or maybe not.  But, the process is part of what makes message boards go around with good discussion.

Nonsense. He is wrong. Off with his head!!!!!

Very happy with the win, think the boys played pretty hard the entire game. Looks like Coach is pulling players for boneheaded plays and missed defensive assignments. 

As much as our bigs have drove me nuts with hedging 25-30 foot from the basket, I think it’s gonna be important in this upcoming Wisconsin game. I’d rather give up buckets down low and push them off the 3 point line! 

2 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Very happy with the win, think the boys played pretty hard the entire game. Looks like Coach is pulling players for boneheaded plays and missed defensive assignments. 

As much as our bigs have drove me nuts with hedging 25-30 foot from the basket, I think it’s gonna be important in this upcoming Wisconsin game. I’d rather give up buckets down low and push them off the 3 point line! 

Can't argue with that.

1 hour ago, H00sier said:

Unfortunately the high hedges have left the corner 3s wide open too often. Can’t have that

5 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed, and even the best teams make some basketball IQ mistakes, and I get that. It also bothers me when we don't capitalize on 2 for 1 situations at the end of each half, and I've learned to accept that we just don't do that, but in a league with so much parity, every possession is huge. That's why I'd like to see what seems like basic stuff get cleaned up. Saturday should be a better indicator of how much this team has improved, too. 

I love this post because I literally scream at lost 2 for 1 situations ...there is literally zero logic in passing it up ...it’s a stubborn and antiquated position to put your team in...also I agree with you 100% on being able to be happy with a win AND finding things to improve on not being a mutually exclusive proposition 

13 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I love this post because I literally scream at lost 2 for 1 situations ...there is literally zero logic in passing it up ...it’s a stubborn and antiquated position to put your team in...also I agree with you 100% on being able to be happy with a win AND finding things to improve on not being a mutually exclusive proposition 

I really don't understand not taking advantage of 2 for 1 situations. Jordan was brilliant at it, and you see it in the pros but, for whatever reason, it just isn't utilized in the college game from what I have seen. We're talking about a potential 4-6 points per game in these situations and yet ... nothing.

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I really don't understand not taking advantage of 2 for 1 situations. Jordan was brilliant at it, and you see it in the pros but, for whatever reason, it just isn't utilized in the college game from what I have seen. We're talking about a potential 4-6 points per game in these situations and yet ... nothing.

Especially too if you're set to get the first possession of the 2nd half. You can basically 3 out of 4 possessions. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Especially too if you're set to get the first possession of the 2nd half. You can basically 3 out of 4 possessions. 

My problem with the two for one is that it leads to a team taking a bad shot on one of those possessions.  What good is it to have two possessions if you are throwing away the first one if it is not a good shot.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My problem with the two for one is that it leads to a team taking a bad shot on one of those possessions.  What good is it to have two possessions if you are throwing away the first one if it is not a good shot.

That's on the team then. I don't skip lunch because I'm afraid I might make a crappy sandwich. You need to practice for those situations so you're team knows how to handle them. You need to drill into your team what a good shot in that situation is and what isn't a good shot. But, the benefits outweigh the negatives if you are smart, well coached, and can execute. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Couldn’t agree more ...the argument is you’d rather have a full quality possession where you run through your offensive set and that beats a rushed shot and then a shortened possession.  I rarely lean on the nba for analytical forward thinking but they definitely have this right and especially with OUR team as constructed who isn’t the most reliable in half court sets why wouldn’t you want two extra shots per game ?!?  Let your guard with the hottest hand bomb a 25 footer five seconds into a possession and then get a 8-20 second possession to end the half.  Even if you only convert 1 or 4 that 3 -6 points every one to two games can be the difference between a W and L

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Agreed if you’re taking a shot that will lead to transition baskets for the other team but a deep three with three rebounders in and two guards back to stop  a break or a hard ( even if wild ) drive to the basket to draw contact are generally gonna be safe if you don’t airball either 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

“No shot is a bad shot” -Devonte Green. Lol 

I agree with Bgleas. If you don’t practice that situation and what to expect it’s on you as a team. It happens almost every game, why wouldn’t they be more prepared. 

Archived