Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agreed if you’re taking a shot that will lead to transition baskets for the other team but a deep three with three rebounders in and two guards back to stop  a break or a hard ( even if wild ) drive to the basket to draw contact are generally gonna be safe if you don’t airball either 

I look at a situation where if you get the ball in the backcourt with 46 seconds to go.  You will have to get the ball up the court and shoot the ball within 8-10 seconds in order to get that 2 for 1 and how often can you get a good shot in that time frame if it is not on a break.  If the other team gets possession with 36-38 seconds left and run the clock pretty much all the way down you will regain possession with 6-8 seconds left.  So in your last two possession you had to get a shot up with in 8 seconds so to me you blew two possessions down the stretch.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I look at a situation where if you get the ball in the backcourt with 46 seconds to go.  You will have to get the ball up the court and shoot the ball within 8-10 seconds in order to get that 2 for 1 and how often can you get a good shot in that time frame if it is not on a break.  If the other team gets possession with 36-38 seconds left and run the clock pretty much all the way down you will regain possession with 6-8 seconds left.  So in your last two possession you had to get a shot up with in 8 seconds so to me you blew two possessions down the stretch.

Every coach has a set for every situation from.3 seconds on. You work on it every week. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That's on the team then. I don't skip lunch because I'm afraid I might make a crappy sandwich. You need to practice for those situations so you're team knows how to handle them. You need to drill into your team what a good shot in that situation is and what isn't a good shot. But, the benefits outweigh the negatives if you are smart, well coached, and can execute. 

Terrific analogy. Or, as Mike Tomlin likes to say, you can't live in your fears. We're not talking about Devonte just coming down and tossing up a 30 footer, but simply being aggressive early in the possession to get a shot up in time to get the ball back. You coach to push the ball up the court in those situations, too, instead of walking it up. If you have a well coached team with solid guards, this really shouldn't be that difficult. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Terrific analogy. Or, as Mike Tomlin likes to say, you can't live in your fears. We're not talking about Devonte just coming down and tossing up a 30 footer, but simply being aggressive early in the possession to get a shot up in time to get the ball back. You coach to push the ball up the court in those situations, too, instead of walking it up. If you have a well coached team with solid guards, this really shouldn't be that difficult. 

Probably on at least half of our possessions, we walk the ball up the court, and then dribble for another 10 seconds waiting for players to get into position to run the next set. So we're running plays in 10 seconds or less a lot of the time anyway. I'd rather see a shot clock violation or stupid turnover than walk the ball up the darn floor most of the time. Even TJD has started walking up the floor. (along with others) Pisses me off. (sorry)

In college basketball, the aggressor wins.  Look at the defense that was played on us the last 2 away games.  Also Michigan.  Aggressor.  Defensively, offensively or both.  

Play smart, absolutely but this team isn't good enough to pull away so we need to exploit all advantages.  One big problem is our lack of ability to find the open lanes for dribble penetration,  though I've seen improvement.  Or taking the easy dump into the post.  We don't recognize it's there until too late more often than not.  And once we do dump to the post our guys don't successfully move to an open area to spot up and be ready to shoot.  Why are we still so easy to guard?

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In college basketball, the aggressor wins.  Look at the defense that was played on us the last 2 away games.  Also Michigan.  Aggressor.  Defensively, offensively or both.  

Play smart, absolutely but this team isn't good enough to pull away so we need to exploit all advantages.  One big problem is our lack of ability to find the open lanes for dribble penetration,  though I've seen improvement.  Or taking the easy dump into the post.  We don't recognize it's there until too late more often than not.  And once we do dump to the post our guys don't successfully move to an open area to spot up and be ready to shoot.  Why are we still so easy to guard?

I don't mean to sound rude... this isn't a complicated topic. We are a poor shooting team. 

The last bold point... we do fairly well. We did it very well against Purdue and flat....out....missed....shots. Teams guard TJD, Thompson, Brunk, Smith, Davis 12-14 ft. No further. 

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't mean to sound rude... this isn't a complicated topic. We are a poor shooting team. 

The last bold point... we do fairly well. We did it very well against Purdue and flat....out....missed....shots. Teams guard TJD, Thompson, Brunk, Smith, Davis 12-14 ft. No further. 

I should have clarified.   My post is on the topic of getting 2 for one with about 45 seconds left.  Having a shooter solves so many problems.   No more double teaming our bigs.  Actually hitting open shots.  Respecting shooters requires them to guard honest and opens the driving lanes I desire.  

And yes, shooting and lack of it is the number one reason we are so easy to guard.  It was basically a rhetorical question.   

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I should have clarified.   My post is on the topic of getting 2 for one with about 45 seconds left.  Having a shooter solves so many problems.   No more double teaming our bigs.  Actually hitting open shots.  Respecting shooters requires them to guard honest and opens the driving lanes I desire.  

And yes, shooting and lack of it is the number one reason we are so easy to guard.  It was basically a rhetorical question.   

There's different ways to look at the 2-for-1. I agree with you when we're coming off a made basket from the other team. IU isn't terrible in the halfcourt, but our halfcourt offense is work. It's going to be more difficult for IU to get a quality quick shot in the halfcourt. But another aspect of the 2-for-1 is transition offense or a really good secondary break (which IU is pretty good at), but you have to be drilled to recognize that situation and push the ball in the scenario when you're coming off an opponent's miss. 

A lot of it is really just mental and being drilled in situational basketball. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There's different ways to look at the 2-for-1. I agree with you when we're coming off a made basket from the other team. IU isn't terrible in the halfcourt, but our halfcourt offense is work. It's going to be more difficult for IU to get a quality quick shot in the halfcourt. But another aspect of the 2-for-1 is transition offense or a really good secondary break (which IU is pretty good at), but you have to be drilled to recognize that situation and push the ball in the scenario when you're coming off an opponent's miss. 

A lot of it is really just mental and being drilled in situational basketball. 

We still see CAM yelling at the team to go go go so much.  By this time in the year with a pretty experienced backcourt... maybe the bbiq just isn't there yet?  So we play it safe and play within ourselves, which is fine with the personnel,  I suppose.  

Archived