Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He should have been called for a tech for hanging on the rim after that missed dunk.

Shewwww... I didn't think so at all. I thought there were players below him, so he was looking out. You can't error on the side of a technical there. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We can all see that but what is different is how those things effect people.  I guess I watch so much college basketball and see most teams having these same problems  so I don't see it as a huge deal.  I go back to when RMK coached and how he taught our fans what good basketball was and we were very spoiled in that aspect.  so  people around my age thinks they are an expert on college coaching so they watch the game more as a coach than as a fan.

I watch quite a bit myself...and I see mediocre to bad teams doing those things...not so much with good teams...and I want IU to be a good team...

I understand the "we are what we are" train of thought, but I have also been around long enough to see teams like ours suddenly blossom...and I'm hopeful...

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

There's nothing wrong with discussing a game, and the intricacies within that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to continuously call out people for wanting to do that, or think this is some sort of major issue with our fan base. It's not, and it's not like it's just unique to this fan base. One of the main reasons I come here is to discuss the specifics of the game with our fans, both positive and negative, and I generally will learn something from those discussions (or, in the case of an ugly loss, it's helpful to vent with others that understand the frustration). If you're happy with the win and think everything was great, then just move on. No one's forcing you to respond.

I never said you shouldn't talk about it but it was more to the point where people can't be happy with a win because they did not think the team played how they should.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We can all see that but what is different is how those things effect people.  I guess I watch so much college basketball and see most teams having these same problems  so I don't see it as a huge deal.  I go back to when RMK coached and how he taught our fans what good basketball was and we were very spoiled in that aspect.  so  people around my age thinks they are an expert on college coaching so they watch the game more as a coach than as a fan.

What's wrong with that. It's nice to understand what you are watching and for me more enjoyable when i see it performed at a high level. Watching a great offensive flow or even a set I have compared to watching a choreographed dance or ballet or anything that when done correctly is a work of art.  I expect that out of high school kids so I do get really frustrated when Indiana college players dont do it.

One of my former assistant coaches told me I ruined watching basketball for him. He can no.longer just watch without analyzing  it. I said you are welcome.  He also learned that what goes on away from the ball is many times far more important than what is going on with the ball. Many average fans dont get a lot of what makes basketball a great sport 

For a lot of.us. RMK taught us what it should look like. And our fan base is very knowledgable about the game

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Of course everyone makes mistakes. Durham made a REALLY bad pass to DeRon (so bad lol)... other than that he was awesome. I really have no problem with Devonte taking 3s, basically anytime. 

But, those 3 mistakes you just mentioned.... have zero to do with our: rebounding, our ability to keep the ball out of the paint, our overall quality of shot last night being very good, our energy level in the 2nd half. 

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." Know who said that?

My point is, I see good teams making errors that the opponents force them to make. I see our team making errors that are self-inflicted...not as much as we were before, but we're still making them. And I think to be a really good team, we can't have those...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watch quite a bit myself...and I see mediocre to bad teams doing those things...not so much with good teams...and I want IU to be a good team...

I understand the "we are what we are" train of thought, but I have also been around long enough to see teams like ours suddenly blossom...and I'm hopeful...

I think we've played pretty well for 5 games. @Minny, PSU, @Purdue, @ILL, Minny. I don't equate shooting well with playing well. We haven't closed the first half out well in 3 of the last 4 games and it really cost us @Purdue. We were very solid at ILL just simply lost. That happens and when you don't shoot it any better then we do, we leave little room for error. 

I'm pleased with where we're at. Not ecstatic, but pleased. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." Know who said that?

My point is, I see good teams making errors that the opponents force them to make. I see our team making errors that are self-inflicted...not as much as we were before, but we're still making them. And I think to be a really good team, we can't have those...

So you admit there is improvement. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never said you shouldn't talk about it but it was more to the point where people can't be happy with a win because they did not think the team played how they should.

So? It's entirely possible that people have different opinions than yours, and don't necessarily agree that this was a solid win or whatever, or are frustrated that we're making the same unforced errors. That doesn't mean people are unhappy with the win - it's possible to be happy with the win, and still be concerned about those things. I mean, didn't you say something about trying to be more accepting of the opinions of others? 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

What's wrong with that. It's nice to understand what you are watching and for me more enjoyable when i see it performed at a high level. Watching a great offensive flow or even a set I have compared to watching a choreographed dance or ballet or anything that when done correctly is a work of art.  I expect that out of high school kids so I do get really frustrated when Indiana college players dont do it.

One of my former assistant coaches told me I ruined watching basketball for him. He can no.longer just watch without analyzing  it. I said you are welcome.  He also learned that what goes on away from the ball is many times far more important than what is going on with the ball. Many average fans dont get a lot of what makes basketball a great sport 

For a lot of.us. RMK taught us what it should look like. And our fan base is very knowledgable about the game

My point is that it stops people from actually enjoying a win and to me that is a problem.

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Shewwww... I didn't think so at all. I thought there were players below him, so he was looking out. You can't error on the side of a technical there. 

For me could have gone either way. I do hate when guys automatically get T ed up for.missing a dunk.  If they would have called it I could not argue and if not call it I could agree to that as well. I do think that little grab onto the rim did protect him from an awkward landing

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I just thought it was a tough game to watch. There were spurts where the effort was good, then it seemed to disappear for awhile. I thought we looked tired, and that's very concerning for a team that regularly plays 10 guys. 

It's also bothersome how after 30 games, little things that get screwed up snowball into much bigger problems. Example: we were up 29-23, TJD misses a layup, then they bank in a 3. Phinisee gets fouled on a 3, misses 2 of his free throws, we give up another 3. We turn it over because we can't get the ball inbounds, give up another 3, and suddenly we're losing. 

At this point in the season, it's not really worth getting too worked up about it because this team is what it is, and its problems aren't going away. Hopefully we've locked up a spot in the tournament, because I'm not confident we win Saturday. 

We watched two different games. I alluded to this in a post yesterday, but I thought the only thing flat and listless in the building were the fans. It's like our fanbase is so jaded that the fans in the building last night were just waiting for IU to fall apart and disappoint instead infusing the building with energy. But, I thought for the most part the team played with a lot of energy. 

I think sometimes we forget that the other is trying too. It's not all about IU, Minnesota is trying also. I mean, the stretch you alluded to when we were up 29-23, it all started with a banked in, lucky 3. If that shot doesn't go in, IU has the ball on the break (by the way our break and secondary breaks were great last night) with a chance to stretch the lead to 8-9. 

I thought we played hard and with energy, our pace was good, we played really good halfcourt offense, which would have been even better if a couple open 3's had gone down. I thought IU really controlled the game for the most part. We just had a couple lapses where we couldn't extend the lead to double-digits, but even if Devonte just hits a couple of his 3's (his shots were good shots, he was just off) that's a different game. 

This was a solid win and a must win. I think IU is in the NCAAT at no less than last 4 in. I think the remaining games will determine seeding.

People look at Minny's record and downplay this win, but Minny has been really competitive down the stretch. They lost by 6 at PS, by 3 to IA, by 1 to MD and by 2 at WI.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

For me could have gone either way. I do hate when guys automatically get T ed up for.missing a dunk.  If they would have called it I could not argue and if not call it I could agree to that as well. I do think that little grab onto the rim did protect him from an awkward landing

That's fair. That's why I'm saying if it's close, don't T them up. You should have seen the "intentional" foul called in our game the other night, my god. I just like the laissez-faire approach to officiating. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I just thought we seemed kind of flat. My disappointment is more with the crowd than the team. I would agree that a W is a W, though, I just don't think there's much to learn from this game - on the plus side, we were pretty balanced overall and were solid on D, but we still are having issues at the FT line. Meh. The Wisconsin game should be a much better indicator of how much this team has improved.

Completely agree with you on the crowd. At least how it came through on TV, the crowd was pretty bad last night. It was almost like they were waiting for IU to screw it up. 

I disagree with you on the team. I did not think the team was flat at all. I thought we played hard and with passion most of the game. Yes, there were some mistakes here and there, but I thought we executed really well both in the secondary break and in our half court offense, I thought the actions we ran to get Durham on the curl were fantastic and we played pretty good defense as well. Minnesota was player hard and they were trying too, that's how it goes. 

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This was a solid win and a must win. I think IU is in the NCAAT at no less than last 4 in. I think the remaining games will determine seeding.

People look at Minny's record and downplay this win, but Minny has been really competitive down the stretch. They lost by 6 at PS, by 3 to IA, by 1 to MD and by 2 at WI.

In any other conference, Minnesota would be an NCAA Tournament team. While the NET is certainly flawed and having it's issues, there's a reason despite their record Minnesota has a really good NET ranking. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We watched two different games. I alluded to this in a post yesterday, but I thought the only thing flat and listless in the building were the fans. It's like our fanbase is so jaded that the fans in the building last night were just waiting for IU to fall apart and disappoint instead infusing the building with energy. But, I thought for the most part the team played with a lot of energy. 

I think sometimes we forget that the other is trying too. It's not all about IU, Minnesota is trying also. I mean, the stretch you alluded to when we were up 29-23, it all started with a banked in, lucky 3. If that shot doesn't go in, IU has the ball on the break (by the way our break and secondary breaks were great last night) with a chance to stretch the lead to 8-9. 

I thought we played hard and with energy, our pace was good, we played really good halfcourt offense, which would have been even better if a couple open 3's had gone down. I thought IU really controlled the game for the most part. We just had a couple lapses where we couldn't extend the lead to double-digits, but even if Devonte just hits a couple of his 3's (his shots were good shots, he was just off) that's a different game. 

That banked in three I was so freaking mad. We were rolling then, huge shot for them. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My point is that it stops people from actually enjoying a win and to me that is a problem.

Why do you care about that? Frankly I was very happy after our win last night...my comments on certain things I saw not withstanding...

Live and let live, brother...

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's fair. That's why I'm saying if it's close, don't T them up. You should have seen the "intentional" foul called in our game the other night, my god. I just like the laissez-faire approach to officiating. 

Could not agree more. Been there my friend.  My take has always been call the obvious, dont over complicate it and when in doubt play on.

Last 2 games.. 

RP's avgs

10.5p 5.5r 3.5a 

2.3:1 A/T ratio

He's also played the most mins in any two games back to back except for OSU and Rutgers games earlier this year. I think most people agree that if we get those #s from Rob the rest of the year we will be a much tougher team.  

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree with you on the crowd. At least how it came through on TV, the crowd was pretty bad last night. It was almost like they were waiting for IU to screw it up. 

I disagree with you on the team. I did not think the team was flat at all. I thought we played hard and with passion most of the game. Yes, there were some mistakes here and there, but I thought we executed really well both in the secondary break and in our half court offense, I thought the actions we ran to get Durham on the curl were fantastic and we played pretty good defense as well. Minnesota was player hard and they were trying too, that's how it goes. 

Over the course of the year I am very pleased with the play of Al. He has a great knack of finishing took around the rim. We should never go 2 straight half court possessions without TJD getting a post touch. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think my issue with last night, as folks have mentioned in the thread, is the continued unforced errors or low basketball IQ mistakes that really should be cleaned up by this point in the year. We've mentioned Rob giving up the ball multiple times to bigs on the perimeter with the shot clock running down, Devonte had a lazy lob pass on the perimeter that led to an easy two, Justin fouling a 3 point shooter late in the game, and that's just off the top of my head or what has been mentioned here, and I'm sure there are others. I really didn't see the energy that you saw in the first half and especially closing out that half, although I did see it more in the second half. The crowd was simply terrible, which could certainly cloud my perception of the effort on the floor, too.

To be fair, it's also difficult to tell how good or bad Minny is, which seems to be the case across the board in the conference this year. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Last 2 games.. 

RP's avgs

10.5p 5.5r 3.5a 

2.3:1 A/T ratio

He's also played the most mins in any two games back to back except for OSU and Rutgers games earlier this year. I think most people agree that if we get those #s from Rob the rest of the year we will be a much tougher team.  

Rob played really well last night. He controlled the pace, he attacked the rim and I really like that little pull up jumper, would like to see him do that more. But overall, it's one of the better games I've seen him run the offense like a quarterback. He controlled everything. 

P.S. Armaan Franklin deserves a nod too. His pushing the pace in the first half was huge. I hope that was a glimpse of what we can expect going forward. It helps so much to have a second guard that can grab a rebound and go, and you can trust him doing it. 

Archived