Minnesota Postgame Thread

KDB

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I think my issue with last night, as folks have mentioned in the thread, is the continued unforced errors or low basketball IQ mistakes that really should be cleaned up by this point in the year. We've mentioned Rob giving up the ball multiple times to bigs on the perimeter with the shot clock running down, Devonte had a lazy lob pass on the perimeter that led to an easy two, Justin fouling a 3 point shooter late in the game, and that's just off the top of my head or what has been mentioned here, and I'm sure there are others. I really didn't see the energy that you saw in the first half and especially closing out that half, although I did see it more in the second half. The crowd was simply terrible, which could certainly cloud my perception of the effort on the floor, too.

To be fair, it's also difficult to tell how good or bad Minny is, which seems to be the case across the board in the conference this year. 

I didn't think Devonte's pass was the problem on that play, honestly... and that play is different then the others you mentioned. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

P.S. Armaan Franklin deserves a nod too. His pushing the pace in the first half was huge. I hope that was a glimpse of what we can expect going forward. It helps so much to have a second guard that can grab a rebound and go, and you can trust him doing it. 

I thought he played well too...was a bit surprised he didn't get more time in the 2nd half...

Just now, btownqb said:

I didn't think Devonte's pass was the problem on that play, honestly... and that play is different then the others you mentioned. 

Fair point - what do you think happened there? I hope it just slipped out of his hands, because if it didn't, that's a terrible pass in pretty much any circumstance. In the end, whatever it was, it led to an easy two at the other end.

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I hate travel calls. My pet peeve lol 

Bad officials at the high school level call so many travels on guys with a quick first step. 

1 time I ripped a ref for calling 2 straight travels on a guy that is so good off the.bounce. I yelled at the ref, next time I will have him slow down so you can see it's not a travel. Very next possession my guy goes about half speed still blows by the defender scores look at the ref and says that slow enough for you. Of course got a T

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Over the course of the year I am very pleased with the play of Al. He has a great knack of finishing took around the rim. We should never go 2 straight half court possessions without TJD getting a post touch. 

Al has actually improved a solid amount.. I look for him to have a very solid SR year. He plays more than adequate defense, as well. 

FR- 19m- 5p 2r 1a- 29% from 3, 41% from the field, 71% FT

SO- 29m- 8p 2r 2a- 35% from 3, 40% from the field, 74% FT

JR- 26m- 10p 2r 3a- 37% from 3, 43% from the field, 81% FT

As a SR.. if he can give up like 12p 3r 3a... shoot 38-40% from 3 and 80% from the line, I think we would all love that. 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Fair point - what do you think happened there? I hope it just slipped out of his hands, because if it didn't, that's a terrible pass in pretty much any circumstance. In the end, whatever it was, it led to an easy two at the other end.

I don't think TJD worked hard enough at all to shield his defender off. I thought the location of the pass was correct, I also thought that Otrurururururu made a nice play. 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Happy or content yes. Satisfied never. 

Basketball is a game of runs when teams are pretty evenly match and you won't dominate most teams in this league.  Everyone is praising UW and just last game it took them  hitting a 3 in the last minute to take the lead against this same Minnesota team and UW was playing at home as well.  I look at that we out rebounded them and we only had 10 turnovers and only 3 in the second half and those are good things.  We shot 61% from 2 point range and we were in control of the game for the most part.  The bad was the 3 point and free throw shooting and we won despite those two categories.  I saw one bad 5 minute stretch but I thought this team played well and hard and came out with a huge win.

11 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was actually thinking during this game that I can’t wait to feel like that again during games in March.  That used to be how I was during every game, but the last three seasons have just beaten it out of me.  This was a must-win to keep IU in the tournament picture, a back-and-forth game with multiple lead changes in the second half... And I watched the entire game with absolutely zero emotion.  I’m still invested, I still want them to make the tournament badly... But the energy just isn’t there for me anymore.  Hopefully they give me a reason to get back into it soon, whether it’s this season or next.

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well.....

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Bad officials at the high school level call so many travels on guys with a quick first step. 

1 time I ripped a ref for calling 2 straight travels on a guy that is so good off the.bounce. I yelled at the ref, next time I will have him slow down so you can see it's not a travel. Very next possession my guy goes about half speed still blows by the defender scores look at the ref and says that slow enough for you. Of course got a T

Correct. Just unless it's soooo obvious, don't call it. Basically, they're simply guessing and that's not how officiating should be. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think TJD worked hard enough at all to shield his defender off. I thought the location of the pass was correct, I also thought that Otrurururururu made a nice play. 

Yeah, possibly. That pass hung up there for a long, long time, though. And full disclosure - at this point, I think Devonte could cure cancer and I would get annoyed with him. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, possibly. That pass hung up there for a long, long time, though. And full disclosure - at this point, I think Devonte could cure cancer and I would get annoyed with him. 

Fair. And I was a PG, so I blame everything on big guys 😄... so we're opposite ends of spectrum on this one. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Correct. We were really solid last night. We shoot our regular percent from the 3pt line we by 8, they don't hit the three with no time left, we win by 11. 

And people just gloss over the fact we had only 10 TO's to 14 assists.

I mean someone points out a TO caused by a bad pass, when we ONLY HAD 10 FREAKING TOs. That's the thing, Of COURSE we're going to have some TO's, every single game by every single team will have a bad TO, how do you go and just ignore we only had 10?? 

The "lighten up Francis" line just keeps ringing in my head.

We won the game, we won with only 10 TO's, our lead would've been much greater had we shot even decently at the line (we were like 50% from the line), so sure, we need to shoot free throws better, it would be nice to hit better from the outside, it would be nice to have a PERFECT game, but golly, perfect games don't happen often, and we did, in fact, play a solid game with all five starters in double figures and we're now controlling our own destiny.

It's a good thing. Enjoy the moment.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I mean someone points out a TO caused by a bad pass, when we ONLY HAD 10 FREAKING TOs. That's the thing, Of COURSE we're going to have some TO's, every single game by every single team will have a bad TO, how do you go and just ignore we only had 10?? 

We won the game, we won with only 10 TO's, our lead would've been much greater had we shot even decently at the line (we were like 50% from the line), so sure, we need to shoot free throws better, it would be nice to hit better from the outside, it would be nice to have a PERFECT game, but golly, perfect games don't happen often, and we did, in fact, play a solid game with all five starters in double figures and we're now controlling our own destiny.

Yep. Absolutely. 

To categorize it as anything less than "solid", would be silly. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Amen to that

I will echo HH's comments...the only part of the game we "lost" was from behind the arc.  We controlled the game in every other facet.  Our backs were to the wall coming in and we freaking won.  Definitely made for a pleasant night here at the ranch.  My IU flag is flying full staff.

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought he played well too...was a bit surprised he didn't get more time in the 2nd half...

I'm more and more confused as to why Franklin doesn't get more time. He had a lazy entry pass to Brunk that I thought was going to be a steal, but they ended up calling a foul (that I didn't see at all) on the Minnesota defender, but other than that I thought he played great. On one of those rebounds Franklin went up so high I thought it was Smith at first. 

Maybe Franklin doesn't have great practices? Misses shots even in practice?

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're cherry picking part of the conversation. It wasn't "one turnover," it was multiple situations with plays that simply weren't smart plays, and I would expect this team to be past those at this point in the season. For example, do you think our PG giving up the ball to Brunk and Race on the perimeter with the shot clock running down is a smart play? I was happy with Rob's play overall, but those things are just head scratchers. 

No, I don't expect us to be perfect, but we're not going to get away with those mistakes against the better teams. I'm not sure why some of you want to assume people are angry or upset about a win just because we're discussing these things. I'm happy with the W. I just think there are still areas that need to be cleaned up if we're going to consistently defeat the better teams. 

Overall we played well. A few things that I think we can sure up and may be the difference in winning a few games at BTT or not. Progress is happening which makes me happy I am just not very patient. I for one actually enjoyed the game last night and all but the last 1:30 of the first half thought we played overall pretty good. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm more and more confused as to why Franklin doesn't get more time. He had a lazy entry pass to Brunk that I thought was going to be a steal, but they ended up calling a foul (that I didn't see at all) on the Minnesota defender, but other than that I thought he played great. On one of those rebounds Franklin went up so high I thought it was Smith at first. 

Whose minutes does he take away last night?

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

There has been some times in conference play that he has REALLY put himself in bad spots offensively with turnovers. He had a really bad one @Minny and @Purdue. Not down one him at all, but I think he just doesn't have the leash as others do. 

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Rob played really well last night. He controlled the pace, he attacked the rim and I really like that little pull up jumper, would like to see him do that more. But overall, it's one of the better games I've seen him run the offense like a quarterback. He controlled everything. 

P.S. Armaan Franklin deserves a nod too. His pushing the pace in the first half was huge. I hope that was a glimpse of what we can expect going forward. It helps so much to have a second guard that can grab a rebound and go, and you can trust him doing it. 

Trust him doing it is the key ...I’m 100% with you as long as every other game they aren’t going to flip the assist to turnover ration from 3:1 to 1:3

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lol that made my day because i did something extremely similar although I actually recorded the third one on my phone DURING the game and then got

a T going into halftime for showing it to the ref in slow motion ...weird thing is he admitted he was wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️

Archived