IU makes NCAA but can you go to games....no fans for march madness!

@FKIM01 when people get overly worried about the stock market I remind the it's only been 0 once and to look at percent change not point gain/loss. In 2008 I watched a coworker lose half his retirement at 55 yrs old.  This guy was 100% invested in Russell 2000 mid cap fund. Sold at the lowest point and invested everything in bonds. I told him over and over and over invest MORE wait for the recovery and adjust stock/bond allocation when he gained his money back. I'm young still so I dont worry and buy the dips. 

Yes, agree, alot of people are stupid. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@FKIM01 when people get overly worried about the stock market I remind the it's only been 0 once and to look at percent change not point gain/loss. In 2008 I watched a coworker lose half his retirement at 55 yrs old.  This guy was 100% invested in Russell 2000 mid cap fund. Sold at the lowest point and invested everything in bonds. I told him over and over and over invest MORE wait for the recovery and adjust stock/bond allocation when he gained his money back. I'm young still so I dont worry and buy the dips. 

Same with the housing market. My wife had a friend who sold her house when the  Denver housing market took a dive. She said she would  never own a house again. Yet the housing market in Denver,  has gone through the roof since then... and so has to rental rates.    Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Most people are completely clueless when it comes to investing.   No one can just stay the course.  Everyone wants to buy as soon as the market skyrockets and sell when it dips. It's sad.  That's why I always tell everyone to invest in the Vanguard Target Retirement fund.  It's the ultimate set it and forget it investment. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Most people are completely clueless when it comes to investing.   No one can just stay the course.  Everyone wants to buy as soon as the market skyrockets and sell when it dips. It's sad.  That's why I always tell everyone to invest in the Vanguard Target Retirement fund.  It's the ultimate set it and forget it investment. 

Target retirement funds are great. Wife is self employed so I set up a SEP IRA at vanguard using a target fund. Automatically invest weekly and I rarely look at it. My 401k is all index funds but i have my stock/bonds at 80/20 and that will change with age. 

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not bad advice and it's cheap...but it also does stupid things like buying 10-year treasuries paying 0.70%.

...but yes, in the absence of a good advisor you plan to listen to, it's better than no advice.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not bad advice and it's cheap...but it also does stupid things like buying 10-year treasuries paying 0.70%.

...but yes, in the absence of a good advisor you plan to listen to, it's better than no advice.

Or just put it all into those growth mutual funds that are guaranteed to always beat the market. 

aZK8Kfph.jpeg

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

ESPN with a funny pre-game segment  on who would be offered a bid to the NCAAT.  Only to four teams on their bubble.  Last team in to get a rose ?   INDIANA !

I was trying to figure out what was going on' I told my wife what the heck selection Sunday already!!! I MUST HAVE MISSED A WEEK!!😀 The joys of growing old!!

3 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I was trying to figure out what was going on' I told my wife what the heck selection Sunday already!!! I MUST HAVE MISSED A WEEK!!😀

I thought the segment was innovative and funny as well.  They took several bubble teams. Young ladies coming off a bus. With their school jerseys on.  Then moved into the Dayton University field house.  Put the ladies/coeds in a group.  Laid out roses on a table.  And called out one coed after the other.  IU was the last to get a rose.  Then they finished by telling the ones that did not make it into their dance.... to enjoy their time in the NIT.   I liked it.  Not sure if would have liked it if they did not chose IU.

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Or just put it all into those growth mutual funds that are guaranteed to always beat the market. 

aZK8Kfph.jpeg

I like a lot of Dave's personal finance advice, but there's a reason he's not licensed for investment advice. 

Went to Dallas Stars Hockey match last Saturday afternoon along with 15 or so thousand other fans in the same arena. Maybe the big chunk of ice in center of the arena kept the virus a bit inactive but I feel no ill effects.  I am going to be a bit more brave and take a shot at the airports this coming weekend.   Flying to San Diego for Spring Break. Hopefully IU plays on Friday-sunday in the NCAA.  My wife has purchased return tix on Thursday when the round of 64 starts. She wonders why I question her common sense. Traveling on day 1 of the NCAA tourney, GEEZ!

Why wouldn't Conference Tournament just be cancelled as opposed to playing in front of no fans?  Can't they just use a Conference Regualr season winner to get the bid.  For those that have division then maybe just play one game between the 2 division winners.

The rapid surge of colleges going to on-line classes increases the odds of the tourney being played in empty stadiums. 
If that happens it might be an advantage for IU as teams like Duke, UVA etc will find empty stadiums disconcerting as they  are used to playing in front of large March crowds. In the last few years IU, however, has extensive experience of not playing in front of anyone in March...advantage IU!

9 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The NCAA tournament is pretty much a worst-case scenario when it comes to the transmission of a virus like this.  Multiple fanbases from all over the country following their team to multiple locations just as the the virus is starting to spread.

It is not as bad as the conference tournaments because there will only be 8 teams at a location instead of maybe 14 at the conference tournament.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really want to sound selfish but the tournament is my favorite even of the year.  So I hope they don't cancel it because it would ruin my entertainment for the year.

If that happened, I wonder how many 'fans' would hold it against Archie for not making the tournament.  

Archived