IU Football 2020

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really a earth shattering post but several Vegas sites have the over/under at 7.5 wins. I'd take the over the but good part is Vegas knows we aren't on the 5/6 line anymore. Maybe it's the missing sports thing but really, really liking what Coach Allen is doing. Admittedly I thought the hire initially was continuity, promote from within program....I've never had a chance to meet Coach Allen but man I love this momentum we are building on. 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not really a earth shattering post but several Vegas sites have the over/under at 7.5 wins. I'd take the over the but good part is Vegas knows we aren't on the 5/6 line anymore. Maybe it's the missing sports thing but really, really liking what Coach Allen is doing. Admittedly I thought the hire initially was continuity, promote from within program....I've never had a chance to meet Coach Allen but man I love this momentum we are building on. 

I saw our OU and was pleasantly surprised it was that high, I love it.  Going by memory here, but two that surprised me was Sparty at 4.5 and PU at 5.

Brohm is always good for a "WTF" ooc loss.  I think they have some holes to address, but they could be very scary good on offense. I  would be surprised if PU isn't bowling this year. 

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

I saw our OU and was pleasantly surprised it was that high, I love it.  Going by memory here, but two that surprised me was Sparty at 4.5 and PU at 5.

Brohm is always good for a "WTF" ooc loss.  I think they have some holes to address, but they could be very scary good on offense. I  would be surprised if PU isn't bowling this year. 

I think a lot depends on how non-conference goes. No easy games with going to Boston College and then hosting Air Force and Memphis. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The tough thing about getting to 8 wins this coming year is that we play OSU, Michigan, PSU, and Wisconsin.  Those are 4 games that are going to be real tough to win.  Since 1993, we are 1-22 against PSU, 2-16 against Wisconsin, 0-23 against OSU, and 0-19 against Michigan.  If we don't win any of those games, we'll have to win the rest of our games.  I think we'll be favored in the rest, but even if we have a 70% chance in each game, there isn't a very good chance of going 8-0 in that stretch.  Obviously we won't be 70% in each game, just an example.

Moral of the story, I'd be happier with 8 wins this year than I was last year.  We're basically replacing Nebraska with Wisconsin, and Illinois is better than NW was last year (even though I don't think they'll be very good).  The rest of the schedule is the same, and I don't really see any teams being drastically different than last year.

I do love the fact that I don't see a way we only win 5 unless Penix gets hurt early and Tuttle is a flop.  I don't expect either of those things to happen.

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think a lot depends on how non-conference goes. No easy games with going to Boston College and then hosting Air Force and Memphis. 

I don't really get your out of conference scheduling.  One of those teams makes sense, but scheduling 3 games that you could lose out of conference doesn't really make much sense.  I know they're scheduled way in advance, but seems kind of silly.  Is it like that in the future too?

I think you'll beat Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern, but there aren't any other games I'd be surprised about you losing.  Or winning for that matter.  A 1-2 or 0-3 non conference start, which are both realistic, would be a disaster.  A 2-1 start would be pretty good, and 3-0 would be a great start.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't really get your out of conference scheduling.  One of those teams makes sense, but scheduling 3 games that you could lose out of conference doesn't really make much sense.  I know they're scheduled way in advance, but seems kind of silly.  Is it like that in the future too?

I think you'll beat Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern, but there aren't any other games I'd be surprised about you losing.  Or winning for that matter.  A 1-2 or 0-3 non conference start, which are both realistic, would be a disaster.  A 2-1 start would be pretty good, and 3-0 would be a great start.

We have some tough non-conference games in the future but it appears like we’ve added some easier ones too which is good. 

I get the whole wanting to play good competition but I think we need to get to a point where we’re consistently winning 6+ games every year before we start scheduling such difficult non-conference games. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We have some tough non-conference games in the future but it appears like we’ve added some easier ones too which is good. 

I get the whole wanting to play good competition but I think we need to get to a point where we’re consistently winning 6+ games every year before we start scheduling such difficult non-conference games. 

Especially in football. In basketball, style matters for getting into the tournament and more for seeding. In football, unless your team is in the top 10, number of wins is the main thing that matters.  Even then, B1G and SEC teams get enough competition in conference to make up for playing bad teams.  Having more fans at games is the only positive that comes out of a tougher schedule.

It cracks me up when people trash IU's wins last season. I don't care if we beat the 8 worst teams in the country. There have been plenty of years when we've played just as bad of a schedule and won 3 or 4 games. We went bowling which for us right now is all that matters. Can't afford to miss bowl games.

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You guys will beat BC. I think AF and Memphis will come down to how well your defense holds up with a new defensive coordinator. Was it a total overhaul of the defensive staff or just the coordinator position? AF triple option comes down to defensive discipline and memphis just scores a bunch. Either way it could be tough since they lost time to practice this spring and might start summer practices late. I'm a bit worried about how our coaches will adjust without having a full spring and summer as well. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Even the "big boys" only schedule one marquis non-con game.  

4 hours ago, DireBump said:

You guys will beat BC. I think AF and Memphis will come down to how well your defense holds up with a new defensive coordinator. Was it a total overhaul of the defensive staff or just the coordinator position? AF triple option comes down to defensive discipline and memphis just scores a bunch. Either way it could be tough since they lost time to practice this spring and might start summer practices late. I'm a bit worried about how our coaches will adjust without having a full spring and summer as well. 

We swapped out DC and DL coach but everyone else remained the same. 

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Especially in football. In basketball, style matters for getting into the tournament and more for seeding. In football, unless your team is in the top 10, number of wins is the main thing that matters.  Even then, B1G and SEC teams get enough competition in conference to make up for playing bad teams.  Having more fans at games is the only positive that comes out of a tougher schedule.

It cracks me up when people trash IU's wins last season. I don't care if we beat the 8 worst teams in the country. There have been plenty of years when we've played just as bad of a schedule and won 3 or 4 games. We went bowling which for us right now is all that matters. Can't afford to miss bowl games.

The other funny when people trash those wins.. NW had literally just won the B1GW the year before. Plus we had 3 B1G road wins, when the hell does that ever happen? Lol 

If we simply just beat the teams we should beat every year, I won't be complaining. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The other funny when people trash those wins.. NW had literally just won the B1GW the year before. Plus we had 3 B1G road wins, when the hell does that ever happen? Lol 

If we simply just beat the teams we should beat every year, I won't be complaining. 

Speaking of NW, I have no clue what to expect out of them this year. Two years ago they won the West and last year they were pretty bad. Does Hunter Johnson live up to the hype? 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Speaking of NW, I have no clue what to expect out of them this year. Two years ago they won the West and last year they were pretty bad. Does Hunter Johnson live up to the hype? 

Hunter Johnson isn't going to be their QB. 

15 hours ago, NYHoosier312 said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 that there is a college football season.  Typical IU luck that the year we could potentially win 8 regular season games and a 9th in the bowl there is the real possibility of the season being cancelled.  

There will be college football at some point. They cant lose that money. Some good treatment meds are coming  but if they are waiting for a vaccine, there may never be one.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, Leathernecks said:

The tough thing about getting to 8 wins this coming year is that we play OSU, Michigan, PSU, and Wisconsin.  Those are 4 games that are going to be real tough to win.  Since 1993, we are 1-22 against PSU, 2-16 against Wisconsin, 0-23 against OSU, and 0-19 against Michigan.  If we don't win any of those games, we'll have to win the rest of our games.  I think we'll be favored in the rest, but even if we have a 70% chance in each game, there isn't a very good chance of going 8-0 in that stretch.  Obviously we won't be 70% in each game, just an example.

Moral of the story, I'd be happier with 8 wins this year than I was last year.  We're basically replacing Nebraska with Wisconsin, and Illinois is better than NW was last year (even though I don't think they'll be very good).  The rest of the schedule is the same, and I don't really see any teams being drastically different than last year.

I do love the fact that I don't see a way we only win 5 unless Penix gets hurt early and Tuttle is a flop.  I don't expect either of those things to happen.

3-80 against those four teams...that's incredible. 

I wonder if there's another P5 program anywhere that has those kind of numbers against multiple conference foes. Seriously...3-80. That just doesn't seem possible. 

17 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

3-80 against those four teams...that's incredible. 

I wonder if there's another P5 program anywhere that has those kind of numbers against multiple conference foes. Seriously...3-80. That just doesn't seem possible. 

Maybe Duke after Spurrier left? Or Northwestern before Fitz established their program? Maybe Vandy for a long stretch? Otherwise 3-80 vs 4 teams is about as bad as it gets.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe Duke after Spurrier left? Or Northwestern before Fitz established their program? Maybe Vandy for a long stretch? Otherwise 3-80 vs 4 teams is about as bad as it gets.

I doubt it.  We have the 2 longest active losing streaks against the same team.  24 straight against OSU and Michigan.  Those are the 2 longest streaks in B1G history.  NW had a 21 and 22 game streak.

There's a reason we have the most losses of anyone in NCAA history.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I doubt it.  We have the 2 longest active losing streaks against the same team.  24 straight against OSU and Michigan.  Those are the 2 longest streaks in B1G history.  NW had a 21 and 22 game streak.

There's a reason we have the most losses of anyone in NCAA history.

That's why I laugh when people bitch about different things. We've been as competitive as ever the last 5-6 years. 

Archived