IU Football 2020

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's why I laugh when people bitch about different things. We've been as competitive as ever the last 5-6 years. 

Considering where we've been for almost the entire history of the program, it is hard not to be happy with where we are right now.

If we can get 8 wins again this year, it would be only the 3rd time in history that we've had 16 wins in back to back seasons.  The other times were 1944-45, and 87-88.  We've had 15 wins in 2 seasons twice.  1945-46 and 1967-68.

All we need are 7 wins this year, and it will be one of the top 5 two year stretches in the history of the program.  Early years we didn't play as many games, but most back to back years don't get us to 10 wins combined.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Considering where we've been for almost the entire history of the program, it is hard not to be happy with where we are right now.

If we can get 8 wins again this year, it would be only the 3rd time in history that we've had 16 wins in back to back seasons.  The other times were 1944-45, and 87-88.  We've had 15 wins in 2 seasons twice.  1945-46 and 1967-68.

All we need are 7 wins this year, and it will be one of the top 5 two year stretches in the history of the program.  Early years we didn't play as many games, but most back to back years don't get us to 10 wins combined.

Those are some pretty damn sobering numbers...I need a beer.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm as confident about IU football as I was when my sister was there 87-91 and when I stepped on campus in Fall of 91....and honestly probably more confident given how many starters we have coming back. The only thing I really have to complain about regarding IU football right now is 2 things....attendance and SR 37. Otherwise chest is out because this is as good as it's ever been.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm as confident about IU football as I was when my sister was there 87-91 and when I stepped on campus in Fall of 91....and honestly probably more confident given how many starters we have coming back. The only thing I really have to complain about regarding IU football right now is 2 things....attendance and SR 37. Otherwise chest is out because this is as good as it's ever been.

I was born in 87, so I can't speak to what things were like back then, but the trajectory of then and now looks really similar, and that was the best stretch in program history.  Allen looks to be building a sustainable program, so I don't see the drop off after that stretch of the late 80s and early 90s.  I'm sure nobody did at that time either though.

It will be interesting to see what happens to attendance numbers throughout all sports when they return.  Are people going to be wary of being in those large of groups, or are people going to be excited to be attending games again.  I think we really need to knock off one of the top 4 B1G teams.  A lot of people still think we're the same ole IU until we beat one of them.

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the attendance will be very good this year. Especially when the C19 stuff ends, people will have been so bored. 

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was born in 87, so I can't speak to what things were like back then, but the trajectory of then and now looks really similar, and that was the best stretch in program history.  Allen looks to be building a sustainable program, so I don't see the drop off after that stretch of the late 80s and early 90s.  I'm sure nobody did at that time either though.

It will be interesting to see what happens to attendance numbers throughout all sports when they return.  Are people going to be wary of being in those large of groups, or are people going to be excited to be attending games again.  I think we really need to knock off one of the top 4 B1G teams.  A lot of people still think we're the same ole IU until we beat one of them.

Loved Mallory and everything about him. When I entered IU we had a program with momentum, stands were always full and people actually left their tailgates for the games. When I graduated in 95 it just became dull.....and off tackle right 3 times in a row wasn't working. Fans started staying in lots,etc...and went downhill from there. 

Regarding attendance. I'm mixed. If we get all clear and there is progress....can't wait to get down there for games. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Loved Mallory and everything about him. When I entered IU we had a program with momentum, stands were always full and people actually left their tailgates for the games. When I graduated in 95 it just became dull.....and off tackle right 3 times in a row wasn't working. Fans started staying in lots,etc...and went downhill from there. 

Regarding attendance. I'm mixed. If we get all clear and there is progress....can't wait to get down there for games. 

Offense has evolved sooo much the last 15 years

On 4/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, Leathernecks said:

87 was a good year to be born haha. 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, Leathernecks said:

I was born in 87, so I can't speak to what things were like back then, but the trajectory of then and now looks really similar, and that was the best stretch in program history.  

I remember those days fondly.  The one disappointment was AT not winning the Heisman.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I remember those days fondly.  The one disappointment was AT not winning the Heisman.

I still laugh the year Eric Crouch won it. ARE was about 50x the QB and player Crouch was. If ARE was behind those NE OLs running the option, like NE did... there's no telling what he would have done stats wise. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Huge. I will say, as a coach, there's ZERO chance that they're going to allow him to be on the team and then kick him off later. Jmo

Especially this long after the incident.  It isn't some quick decision to bring him back.  It has clearly been thought out by all parties.  Definitely good news.

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Huge. I will say, as a coach, there's ZERO chance that they're going to allow him to be on the team and then kick him off later. Jmo

No problem with this whatsoever. Kid might realize he put himself in a position to get got.....if you will. I hope he learns and grows but glad he'll be back with his brothers. Sometimes giving up on kids or booting them makes them worse. Fine line I know but everything I've read this is isolated. Not a guy going Walter White like we had before.

I'm very interested to see what we get from Rashawn Williams. Offers from LSU, WVU, OSU, UM, Minnesota, Pitt, MSU, and a slew of others.. 223rd ranked player on Rivals, listed at 6'2 200lbs. 

I want him to win the other outside job. Whop, Hendershot, and Fryfogle is a really good start.. just need to find some depth. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Saw that. Good corner play can do a lot for our D. 

Mullen and Taylor are as good as we've ever had there. Johnson is just so versatile. 

And they all have 2+ years left.  Jaylin Williams also started a handful of games last year.

A quick look through the roster, and it looks like we will only lose Ball, Jerome Johnson, Layne, Ziemba, and Swann from our defense after this year.  We have pretty darn good guys to replace all of them with.

27 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

And they all have 2+ years left.  Jaylin Williams also started a handful of games last year.

A quick look through the roster, and it looks like we will only lose Ball, Jerome Johnson, Layne, Ziemba, and Swann from our defense after this year.  We have pretty darn good guys to replace all of them with.

Yep!!! We look very good in coming years defensively. 

Archived