IU Football 2020

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Ball re-establishes himself this year.  He was hands down my favorite player when he was younger.  I don’t know if he got too big and stiff or what, but he has leveled off if not regressed.  He also has gotten too emotional with cheap plays leading to penalties.  

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really hope Ball re-establishes himself this year.  He was hands down my favorite player when he was younger.  I don’t know if he got too big and stiff or what, but he has leveled off if not regressed.  He also has gotten too emotional with cheap plays leading to penalties.  

He has been such a disappointment to me after his freshman year.  I thought he'd be a guy that was destined for the draft after his junior year.  Not that he is bad, but he isn't as good as he probably should be.  He is an incredible athlete.  Hopefully he comes in focused to make a name for himself for the draft.

52 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I've been watching a LOT of highlights of Taylor, Mullen, and Johnson... those 3 can flat out play. I think the 2nd half of the year Burgess was very solid, Fitz and Matthews are going to have a TON of experience for JRs this coming year. 

Defensive backfield should be fantastic. Layne and Williams are solid backups at corner. 

Mullen, Taylor, and Johnson aren't just there to be in position, they are there to make plays. 

Ball State - 3 sacks

EIU - 2 sacks

OSU - 2 sacks (one was OSU's last offensive play of the game)

UCONN - 3 sacks

MSU - 0 sacks

Rutgers - 6 sacks

Maryland - 2 sacks

Nebraska - 1 sack

Northwestern - 2 sacks

PSU - 2 sacks

Michigan - 2 sacks

Purdue - 1 sack

Tennessee - 1 sack

In what I count as our meaningful games (MSU, Maryland, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue, and Tennessee), we had 7 sacks in 6 games.  I figure in the other games we were either really likely to win or really likely to lose, so I don't really care what we did in those.  Our fate each year is determined by what we do in the 6 games I listed.  The "50/50" games, and we barely had 1 sack per game.

The previous year in those type of game (Virginia, MSU, Minn, Maryland, PU) we had 10 sacks, but 5 of them came against Purdue.  So in the other 4 we had 5 sacks.  The last 2 years in our 50/50 type of games, we have had 0 or 1 sacks more than we've had 2 or more.  Someone remind me again why I should be disappointed that Hagen left?

12 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Wonderful article about our new DL coach.  How can you not be excited about what Peoples brings to our defensive line?

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/05/ius-peoples-repping-jenkins-coaching-tree/

That's a good article.   Like all coaches, Allen has strengths and weaknesses,  but a major strength is his ability to identify quality coaches and build a strong support staff.

39 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

That's a good article.   Like all coaches, Allen has strengths and weaknesses,  but a major strength is his ability to identify quality coaches and build a strong support staff.

This is far and away the best staff I have ever seen here.  I think everybody we have is working their way up the ladder instead of down.

Mike DeBord would be a great example of the opposite. He worked his way down the ladder to get here, and he was terrible.

We also have some coaches that were already at a very high rung on the ladder but still came here. Wellman would be one. He was retained by 3 separate staffs with the NYG, and decided to come here instead.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

This is far and away the best staff I have ever seen here.  I think everybody we have is working their way up the ladder instead of down.

Mike DeBord would be a great example of the opposite. He worked his way down the ladder to get here, and he was terrible.

We also have some coaches that were already at a very high rung on the ladder but still came here. Wellman would be one. He was retained by 3 separate staffs with the NYG, and decided to come here instead.

Ramsey obviously didn't have the strongest of arms... but it was wayyy better than what he was allowed to show under Debord. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Prayers up for one of our players. Cam Wilson. Keep him in your thoughts this Mother's Day Weekend. Horrible tragedy out of Columbus. People can google. Didn't want to link.

Oh wow.  That is horrible.  I feel so terrible for him and anyone else impacted by that.

Archived