IU Football 2020

1 hour ago, Sark said:

Those years were built largely on a very modest out of conference schedule which is not much different than what we have now. In the Big 10, we were still below .500 during that 10 year stretch and that’s what has to change if IU is to really be successful.

We have some tougher nonconference opponents coming up too. Cincinnati the next 2 years, and Louisville the 3 years after that.  There will likely be a at least a loss or two out of those 5 games, so we definitely need to pick it up in conference games to make up for that. I'd love to see our firat winning conference record since 1993.

In 2021 we pick up Cincinnati, WKU, and Idaho, and our cross over games in conference are @Iowa, @PU, and Minnesota. That's going to be a tough schedule, and those are the years we need to avoid key injuries. I think we're building the depth that we can afford an injury anywhere on the field and still be alright.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

6.3 average for 11 games. Thats a 6.8 avg over 12 games. So his teams avged a record of 6.8-5.2 during those years, solid. 

A lot of those seasons had 12 games with the bowl though, so it was more like 6.3-5-.3(3 ties). Went to 6 bowl games, so we averaged 11.6 games per year.

For the record, this post is 100% semantics lol. Overall point doesn't change. That was a really solid stretch.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The point is well taken and accurate.  But I will throw in the notion that you could select different ten year periods.  One data point that is interesting is that Bill Mallory came in 1984 and inherited a mess as Sam Wyche left after only one year.  Mallory went 0-11 that first year. But if you give Mallory a mulligan for 1984, then measure his ten year run from 1985-1994, I think you get to 63 wins, or the 6.3 average.  

Back to the point, I think a 70 plus win decade is within reach.  I think we can all foresee some good years.  But we have to avoid the write-off year.   You throw a 2-9 in there somewhere and it would wreck the decade.  If you can bottom out at 5 wins in perhaps a rebuilding or injury plagued year but otherwise win 7-8 consistently, then the numbers should take care of themselves.  

I think we would have to have a massive amount of injuries to win less than 4 games in the next 3 years. We have more depth than I can ever remember.

Also, just looked at the last 8 years, and we have 43 wins in 8 years.  There's a shot we could get to 60 in 10 years if we win 17 total the next 2.  It would be fun to eventually beat that 63 wins in 10 years mark.

22 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

A lot of those seasons had 12 games with the bowl though, so it was more like 6.3-5-.3(3 ties). Went to 6 bowl games, so we averaged 11.6 games per year.

For the record, this post is 100% semantics lol. Overall point doesn't change. That was a really solid stretch.

Ahh duhhh. Well I guess I could have made the adjustment to 13 games. Lol

Also... you're correct. Haha

9 hours ago, Sark said:

True, but they weren’t good teams. Mizzou was the best of the group and they were bad.

I seem to recall Mizzou being pretty damn good in the early 80's.  As far as UK they were always right around .500 IIRC.

10 minutes ago, Sark said:

Missouri was good in the early part of the decade of the 80’s but by the time IU played them, things had gotten ugly.

IU played Mizzou each year from 1985 to 1992, going 6-0-2. During that time the Tiger’s overall record was 24-62-2.

Let me guess...coaching changes?

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The guys reported today... 

It's evident that Jovan Swann is a leader. 

Are there any other surprises anyone is hearing? Anyone not show up/FR that might not be academically eligible? 

@Leathernecks @Sark @BobSaccamanno @Seeking6 @rico

I haven't heard other than normal twitter talk about guys just happy to be back, can't wait for season,etc....but I love guys who seem to really love football. Not just game days but football. Everything that goes into those 13 games we should expect moving forward each year.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I haven't heard other than normal twitter talk about guys just happy to be back, can't wait for season,etc....but I love guys who seem to really love football. Not just game days but football. Everything that goes into those 13 games we should expect moving forward each year.

The general public doesnt know how much football practices compared to games played. 

We cannot scimmage daily like basketball, baseball, and soccer. 

Thats where the whole "trust the process" "row the boat" type things originated. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

The guys reported today... 

It's evident that Jovan Swann is a leader. 

Are there any other surprises anyone is hearing? Anyone not show up/FR that might not be academically eligible? 

@Leathernecks @Sark @BobSaccamanno @Seeking6 @rico

I haven't heard anything.  I'm thinking little will come out about which individual players are there unless they post something on social media.  I would guess most teams will try to avoid broadcasting who is and isn't there to avoid any chance of controversy.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Being reported on twitter that IU just sent out an email to students offering ticket information for football games....season tickets, single games, mini series,etc....

Suhweeeeeeeeeeeet baby Jesus!

51 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder if general admission will be allowed or if attendance will be limited to students and season ticket holders.  Read a 60 minute interview with North Carolina AD and these were a couple of his ideas.

I usually just get mine for free because I'm a HS football coach in the state of IN, but I don't think I want to risk it this year. 

49 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Let me just say, I'm so excited to be talking about IUFB. I usually stop in every few days and read/lurk. This subforum is my first stop!  Keep up the chatter. GoHoosiers!!!!

Have others join us. Doing our best to keep this running and get the IU baseball board up and running. 

Archived