IU Football 2020

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thank you for your efforts. Really enjoy this board and the IU football discussions.  Keep up the good work!  Where do you coach?

Brownstown Central for football (where I'm from) 

Jennings County for basketball (where I teach) 

I appreciate the compliment. 

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

I usually just get mine for free because I'm a HS football coach in the state of IN, but I don't think I want to risk it this year. 

Out of curiosity what's the feeling around the state at high school level on two things. First...is this as positive as IU has been viewed by state coaches since? Secondly...are most high school coaches ready to go business as usual this summer/fall for high school football?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Out of curiosity what's the feeling around the state at high school level on two things. First...is this as positive as IU has been viewed by state coaches since? Secondly...are most high school coaches ready to go business as usual this summer/fall for high school football?

1. Tom Allen is viewed in very high regards, AT LEAST, as a human being. I spoke with him last year at IU team camp. We spent a day there last year. He is honestly just 100% a good guy. It's obvious he knows what he's doing on the defensive side of the ball.

2. We are foaming at the mouth. We eat, live, and breathe football. I coach at an ultra successful program, 83% winning the past 26 years. Not having football would kill our community. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. Tom Allen is viewed in very high regards, AT LEAST, as a human being. I spoke with him last year at IU team camp. We spent a day there last year. He is honestly just 100% a good guy. It's obvious he knows what he's doing on the defensive side of the ball.

2. We are foaming at the mouth. We eat, live, and breathe football. I coach at an ultra successful program, 83% winning the past 26 years. Not having football would kill our community. 

Thanks for feedback. Being from Illinois I have more connections at high school and college level there....and I know they all are same as you. Ready to get going but things are a little different 1 state to the West. Good to hear on Allen too. Growing up in a football first community I've waited my entire life to get IU football (and hopefully our fans) in this position moving forward. Really hope we can sustain. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for feedback. Being from Illinois I have more connections at high school and college level there....and I know they all are same as you. Ready to get going but things are a little different 1 state to the West. Good to hear on Allen too. Growing up in a football first community I've waited my entire life to get IU football (and hopefully our fans) in this position moving forward. Really hope we can sustain. 

Yep there is nothing I want more from this athletic dept then to be an "Iowa" type of football program. 

On 6/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, Leathernecks said:

Here you go. Get more excited.

We're looking at a legit shot at being 6-1 going into Penn State. 7-0 if we could open up with a stunner @Wisconsin.. I know that's a longshot, but man, imagine that.

If that were to happen, we're talking about 7-0 (4-0 in the B1G) with a win @Wisconsin - that seems like it'd have to be a top 15 team.

I know that's an unlikely scenario, but it's fun to think about. I can't freaking wait to watch this team. Could be a really special year.

Saw this article on 247 listing IU-Wisconsin as one of college football's potential upsets. 

I'm sure it's been brought up by others but boy if there's a year to play at Wisconsin, at Ohio St, and at Michigan it's this one, right??? Home field advantage does mean something but this year with more than likely reduced crowds at least noise and noise momentum won't be a factor to deal with.

37 minutes ago, KDB said:

We're looking at a legit shot at being 6-1 going into Penn State. 7-0 if we could open up with a stunner @Wisconsin.. I know that's a longshot, but man, imagine that.

If that were to happen, we're talking about 7-0 (4-0 in the B1G) with a win @Wisconsin - that seems like it'd have to be a top 15 team.

I know that's an unlikely scenario, but it's fun to think about. I can't freaking wait to watch this team. Could be a really special year.

Saw this article on 247 listing IU-Wisconsin as one of college football's potential upsets. 

NW at 25? What am I missing there? 

31 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Still. I’m not even sure if they’ll be better than us. 

I was joking lol 

Its a "weaker division".. but still better than anything in the ACC and at least one divison in the P12. 

1. SEC West 

2. B1G East 

3. SEC East 

4. Pac 12 North

5. B1G West 

6. ACC Atlantic 

7. Pac 12 South

8. ACC Coastal

And if Tennessee keeps improving and Mich St keeps declining... the SEC East might move ahead of our division. Georgia and Florida are going nowhere and UT is a sleeping giant. 

1 hour ago, KDB said:

On everything I own.. I will cry if we're ever 7-0

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think he knows what he’s doing on defense for sure, but he also is the best we’ve had in terms identifying the right kind of talent he needs to win in all three phases.  His history of being in the SEC helps because he saw the top physical talent as a whole and he knows what it looks like.   As a result, as a whole, I absolutely love who he tries to recruit.  

This is so important to me because I used to get so frustrated at our defeatist attitude in terms of who we pursued.  The other offers were telling back in those days (e.g., Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio, Ball State, Central Michigan, and Minnesota is keeping tabs on him).  

Wilson changed that but Allen took it up a couple more notches, without the shenanigans off the field.  

As I’ve said many times, he’s a legit devout religious man.  You don’t have to agree with him, but with that moral compass, I don’t expect him to tolerate bad kids gone wild.  I have no reason to think otherwise.  

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think he knows what he’s doing on defense for sure, but he also is the best we’ve had in terms identifying the right kind of talent he needs to win in all three phases.  His history of being in the SEC helps because he saw the top physical talent as a whole and he knows what it looks like.   As a result, as a whole, I absolutely love who he tries to recruit.  

This is so important to me because I used to get so frustrated at our defeatist attitude in terms of who we pursued.  The other offers were telling back in those days (e.g., Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio, Ball State, Central Michigan, and Minnesota is keeping tabs on him).  

Wilson changed that but Allen took it up a couple more notches, without the shenanigans off the field.  

As I’ve said many times, he’s a legit devout religious man.  You don’t have to agree with him, but with that moral compass, I don’t expect him to tolerate bad kids gone wild.  I have no reason to think otherwise.  

Yes sirrrrrr. 100% 

Latimer, Sudfeld, Coleman, Howard, Stepniack, Cobbs, Spriggs, Feeney, Covington, Martin. 

All of those are very recent. We haven't had a lot of that before. 

4 hours ago, KDB said:

Not only are we looking at a legit shot at starting 6-1, we'll probably be favored to win all of our first 7 games besides Wisconsin.

If we did start 7-0, I think we'd be a shoe in for top 15.  We're probably top 30 to top 35 in most polls, so we aren't far from the top 25.  If we beat Wisconsin, we'd be top 25 in all polls.  From there, we'd just keep going up each week.

Like you, I can't wait.  IU football on here and Twitter is the only thing I routinely check.  If I get a few minutes, I pop on here and see if there's anything new.  Then head to Twitter.  So pumped about this season.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Allen might not be the best offensive mind out there, but there is one thing he has that 99% of college coaches don't, and that is the ability to look critically at himself.  He isn't as arrogant as most coaches out there.  Sometimes defensive coaches don't care about the offensive side, but before we hired DeBoer, I remember Allen talking about what he finds difficult to defend, and that was what he was looking for in an OC.  Wilson was kind of the opposite.  He thought he could win by outscoring people, defense and special teams be damned.  I know that is too harsh of a statement, but we all get the idea.

Along with recruiting better players, he is way better than Wilson was at building a roster.  There isn't a single position that you can look at and say it is definitely a weakness.  I mean, we have a freaking K, P, and LS on scholarship.  Position strength will ebb and flow over the years, but Allen tries to address those needs.  He doesn't just take 8 WR in a class and hope a makeshift OL can block long enough to get them the ball.  Go over each position, and find one that is weak or doesn't have talent coming in.  QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DT, DE, LB, CB, S, K, P.  Every single one of them has talent and depth like I've never seen here.

I like that recruits know what they're getting into with Allen.  They know he's very religious, they know his LEO mantra, they know they aren't going to come into the program and screw off.  I think that helps attract better off the field players.  There's no surprise once they get here.

I think this shows how much players buy into it.

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

I think you could argue that OL and TE lack talent and / or depth, especially OL, and RB isn’t very deep either, and there aren’t any proven edge rushers. WR is thin too and LB needs more production. I’m optimistic that this can be a pretty good unit but I don’t see the talent and depth you do at least not yet.

And we brought in a ton of OL (would have liked a few higher ranked guys, but potential is there), bringing in a TE next year, 2 running backs committed, lots of young potential at WR. I agree that some places might not be strengths for this year, I mostly meant that he's really trying to address those areas. There aren't any areas that are complete whiffs for the near future.

46 minutes ago, Sark said:

I think you could argue that OL and TE lack talent and / or depth, especially OL, and RB isn’t very deep either, and there aren’t any proven edge rushers. WR is thin too and LB needs more production. I’m optimistic that this can be a pretty good unit but I don’t see the talent and depth you do at least not yet.

But its close 

Archived