IU Football 2020

27 minutes ago, Sark said:

Wisconsin lost Taylor and Cephus, but they return a really good O line and are pretty deep at rb. They also bring back just about their entire defense which was really good, and IU is going to be very iffy in the O line. No way to know if 17 is the right number, but there’s not really a sound argument as to why it’s wrong. Hope it’s a good and competitive game, but big physical teams have been our Achilles heel.

Those are some pretty major losses though.  Their next best receiver had less than 300 yards last year, and Taylor was a record setting back.  I'm sure they'll have good replacements, but there is bound to be a pretty sizeable drop from Taylor at least.

I think our starting OL will be solid, but I do think depth could be a major issue if there are any injuries.  Being the first game will be a big help.

I'd like to see a game plan like we had against MSU last year with Penix hitting a ton of short to medium quick routes to keep the defensive line off balance.

Their size and physicality does worry me.  Another major concern is how our tackling will be.  We really struggled our first few games last year, so hopefully we have a better handle of that.  If not, there could be some real trouble on defense.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sark said:

My worry is Wisconsin has a knack for bringing up the next great back even after people thought their string of great backs had ended. Receiver will be a bigger issue for them, at least WR.

i think we’ll try to get the ball out quickly to neutralize their D line against our O line, which I think is a huge mismatch. Our D will need to step up here for us to have a chance I think, because I think our O will have their hands full with their D. Low scoring games sometimes come down to special teams, so maybe that’s a place for us to shine.

And touchdowns and not fgs

Two huge plays in the MSU game... dropped pick 6 by Fitz, and a missed bomb that we had set up all game long to Whop, that would have been a 90 yard TD. 

Two plays you HAVE to make to pull off an upset on the road. 

Just now, Sark said:

My O line concern is that we still can’t run the ball consistently when we need to, and the D line will be a huge strength for Wisconsin. Not being good at that in the red zone is where you get field goals instead of TDs.

I agree, hopefully with a true 2 headed monster at RB and some health up front we can correct that. That makes those two examples above even bigger. 

Big players, make big plays, in big games. Have...to...make...plays. 

Just now, Sark said:

Health upfront is one thing, but I think we’re of fairly average ability on the O line. Bedford could be good and he’ll be better with the added strength I’m sure he has, but he’s the standout of that group, which is otherwise serviceable but not really much beyond that, at least from the players we’ve seen to date.

ok.

I just showed you how we could have beaten MSU on the road LAST year. And we can alllll agree we expect to be better to much better this year. 

We agree on the OL stuff. Need more talent, but we've beaten that horse. 

20 minutes ago, Sark said:

My worry is Wisconsin has a knack for bringing up the next great back even after people thought their string of great backs had ended. Receiver will be a bigger issue for them, at least WR.

i think we’ll try to get the ball out quickly to neutralize their D line against our O line, which I think is a huge mismatch. Our D will need to step up here for us to have a chance I think, because I think our O will have their hands full with their D. Low scoring games sometimes come down to special teams, so maybe that’s a place for us to shine.

I haven't looked at them enough to know who their next great back will be, but I'm hoping this might be the year when they finally don't have a stud RB.  I'm not a big fan of Coan either.  He reminds of me a Mike DeBord coached Ramsey.  Solid, but won't take advantage of a defense.  Maybe he'll have a jump like Ramsey did last year, but he isn't a QB that strikes fear in defenses like a lot of elite teams have.  After losing their best WR, I'm interested to see what he'll play like this year.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree, hopefully with a true 2 headed monster at RB and some health up front we can correct that. That makes those two examples above even bigger. 

Big players, make big plays, in big games. Have...to...make...plays. 

I'm interested to see how Sheridan focuses on the run game.  I know he's talked about it making it more of a focus numerous times since he took over.  I do like that we have 2 really good backs that we can rotate.  It will be interesting to see how Ellis is used too.  Last I remember, he was moved to RB, but I'm sure that's mostly just in title and he'll be all over the field.  I'd like to see some creative sets with him and Scott/James to keep defenses guessing.

Wisconsin also lost two significant leaders and good, veteran players in Biadasz and Zach Baun.  Both guys anchored those units.  

Building a football team at this level is a massive step by step undertaking and turning a program around is like turning around the Titanic.  Wisconsin is just much further along so it’s an uphill struggle for us.  But we are getting better and better.  

Its a dead horse but I would agree that interior offensive line and pass rush have been an issue.  I like our tackles in Bedford and Jones.  Bedford has elite feet and Jones gets it done.  They both have experience and are developing.   It would have been nice if Cronk had stayed but we do have an effectively four year starter in Crider back and the transfer from Stanford in Powell. 

As for physicality on defense, I really like our inside guys on the line.  I don’t see anybody dominating us like in the past. Elliott, Jerome Johnson, Sio, Swann.   Our back seven is a very strong and deep unit.  The defensive ends would be the question.  Swann can flex out there and I expect him to.  Head and Bryant need to get better.  We have some young prospects who might step forward too.  

If the interior o line and pass rush come through, this is a rankable team and probably our best squad in 30 years when Joe Huff and Bryan Dewitz were out there.  

Hopefully the program keeps building from here and progresses more and more.  I wouldn’t rule it out.  Allen has a different mindset.  He’s not here to accept IU’s usual place.  

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

295 vs 4..... 

Sounds like our medical people are handling it well as they seemed to have decisively avoided spread.  Knock on wood.  Some schools get four on a team and then it suddenly becomes 25.  

When regular students come back, exposure might be more of a challenge.  I’m sure they have a plan.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sounds like our medical people are handling it well as they seemed to have decisively avoided spread.  Knock on wood.  Some schools get four on a team and then it suddenly becomes 25.  

When regular students come back, exposure might be more of a challenge.  I’m sure they have a plan.  

I agree. 295 vs 4 is about as good as it can get, yeah?

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think the next round of testing will be key.  If they test roughly the same amount next time, will it be under 5 new cases, or will it be 15 new cases.  That will be the big test, no pun intended.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Done....if 6 stops everything its over. The best thing to do is put them all in a room together and get it over with. Everyone has it, move on.

Unless and until there is a vaccine, getting to herd immunity while protecting high risk people is the only reasonable option 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Unless and until there is a vaccine, getting to herd immunity while protecting high risk people is the only reasonable option 

Just wait for all the students coming back from NY and Cali. Btown will be shut down by Sept. 1st.

2 hours ago, Andy06 said:

College athletes are as low risk as you can possibly get.  Young, in terrific shape, and excellent healthcare available. 

Young, terrific shape, excellent healthcare......Yes, yes and yes.
The challenge, however, is what kind of shape are the coaches, teachers, parents, friends, shopkeepers, etc etc that “healthy” asymptotic athletes, that test positive, come in contact with? It’s a quandary, to say the least, but everything is complicated by how the disease is transmitted. 

10 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Young, terrific shape, excellent healthcare......Yes, yes and yes.
The challenge, however, is what kind of shape are the coaches, teachers, parents, friends, shopkeepers, etc etc that “healthy” asymptotic athletes, that test positive, come in contact with? It’s a quandary, to say the least, but everything is complicated by how the disease is transmitted. 

Then if all those other people are worried they can isolate themselves and stay home. 

College football with limited or no fans can still go on.

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Just wait for all the students coming back from NY and Cali. Btown will be shut down by Sept. 1st.

As of today it sure does feel that way. Problem being not one conference leader will be the first to say what some are thinking. Guess what...kids will get this virus. They'll more than likely be ok. Going to take a seismic shift in thought/approach to this virus and I'm not sure that's happening in 45 days.

Archived