IU Football 2020

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Golly the D was good in the bowl game. 

It looked awesome in the bowl game.  If we can play at that level or better this year, we could be a top 25 defense this year (and maybe even better next year).

My biggest issue with last year's defense is that we didn't have many big takeaways.  I think that's what we need to beat OSU, Mich, Wis, and PSU.  We likely aren't going to routinely force those teams to punt and kick field goals.  We need to get some pressure on the QB, cause forced throws, and create big plays.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:47 PM, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Lost my mother very early in life (age 12) and watch over a couple kids here in town from time to time who lost both of their parents over a 5 year period. It's a club I wish I never had any experience in. Cam is sitting somewhere right now in shock.....and will be for years. Being around teammates is a really good thing potentially but it might be wise for the kid to take a year off and collect himself. 

I shouldn't be quoting you, but I'm having some drinks tonight, which I shouldn't be doing either, but I was 21, and at white river state park in indy 2006 for a free REO Speedwagon concert with my dad.  He had a Heart attack and I held his hand as he passed. And I lost my grandpa the year before.  

It's just hard losing so much early in life. 

Sorry Leather I got lazy since my boy was up with a nosebleed last night!.I have my RTF docunent with the pasted reply i spoke of on the text .All saved to finish to reapond to you and a few people here more specifically..Sucks with the interruptions but its good having my kid around after this long.

I have caught what you and others shared that Ive missed or had too much going on offline to comment .

Great posts and a lot I feel appear spot on.So much hangs on health and making the most of the circumstances this offseason.A lot to like from there.

I'll lob out my main point for the defense involved how other than pass rush, among keys are the abilitty to get pressure from the line alone.  Also the need for the D to take better angles of pursuit and finish tackles for 4 quarters..And the big one .Catch the freaking would be INT balls.Less backbreaker penalties..Maturuty .

Plenty examples of each that need to trend upward..Things that are the difference between 8-5 teams and perhaps 10-11 win teams.What it comes down to pretty much for IU's defense anyway . Young guys working in  and adapting plus veteran leadership and bowl experience giving me confidence in it aside of talent and reaults to date . Being healthy and responding to the unconventional offseason is more general for everyone.Ill share more later , but it is good seeing fans and media indicating and acknowledging IUs potential this early.

Specific players will be critical.Have my own ideas of who and how they need to contribute.Minus most freahmen .I think most Freshmen will be waoting their turns so I felt comfy winging it out without including the true Fr.It helps stay closer to what to actually expect when it is veteran driven and hungry.Learning while watching will happen more if it goes to plan .I do thinkk most of the inbound defensive  kids will get their 4 games. Even if most is mop up .I can envision IU leaving a mess or two for the future to get reps .Lol This team isnt the past ones .Save for the D-line and there is youth to like at DE and Tackles.

With Wiscy to start they'd better grow up fast too! 

On 6/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, Leathernecks said:

5 programs on the rise

It is weird seeing us come off an 8 win season and still being a program on the rise.  Future's so bright I need sunglasses 😎 

When Allen was hired I thought it was a business as usual internal safe hire. So glad I was dead wrong. Allen is really good. Genuine, caring, and honest....and seems capable to stack several 7-8 win seasons on top of each other. Once we get to that point maybe a chance to take that next step up...which is all I've ever wanted from IU football. Routine bowl eligibility with the opportunity to cash in on a Big season if the schedule allows.

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When Allen was hired I thought it was a business as usual internal safe hire. So glad I was dead wrong. Allen is really good. Genuine, caring, and honest....and seems capable to stack several 7-8 win seasons on top of each other. Once we get to that point maybe a chance to take that next step up...which is all I've ever wanted from IU football. Routine bowl eligibility with the opportunity to cash in on a Big season if the schedule allows.

In the last decade we won 49 games, and that is the most we've ever won in a decade. That's 4.9 wins a years for all of you who struggle in math. In the 80s we won 48 for thos of you who were curious.

I think we have a legitimate shot to get that to 70+ wins this next decade. I figure some seasons more than 7, some less than 7, but 7+ is kind of my expectation/hope for the next handful of years.  I don’t see any in the 4 or less which is what really killed us in the past.  I could see a season going poorly with some injuries and miss a bowl, but we're going to be deep enough, that should still hopefully be a 5 win season at minimum.

If we can have multiple 7-8 win seasons, it would be interesting to see if we could build on that. Could we become like Iowa where they are ranked fairly often and sometimes knock of the big boys? Throw in the occasional 10 win season? I'm hopeful we can get to that!

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for posting and very telling. Both good and bad. Besides our own numbers....look at the amount of wins for Michigan/Penn St. When you factor in the amount of $ they shove into their programs and have 100k every home game in attendance to be that far behind Ohio St and Wisconsin? 

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting and very telling. Both good and bad. Besides our own numbers....look at the amount of wins for Michigan/Penn St. When you factor in the amount of $ they shove into their programs and have 100k every home game in attendance to be that far behind Ohio St and Wisconsin? 

I wouldn't have guessed they'd be that far behind those OSU and Wisconsin.  Harbaugh only has 47 wins in his 5 seasons, so he's only on a pace for 94 in 10 seasons.  That's over 2 wins a season behind OSU.  That is not a good look for him!

28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

43 wins in 10 years lol. It’s amazing how terrible of a coach Hazell really was. 

It's amazing how terrible (insert 90% of IU coaches) really was.  49 wins in 10 years was our best decade ever.  You're going to have a tough decade coming up with an 0-10 record against IU :coffee:

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

43 wins in 10 years lol. It’s amazing how terrible of a coach Hazell really was. 

That's the thing. Growing up  both Illinois and Purdue were obviously very strong programs, not elite but very good....and to see those just goes to show what happens when a bad hire or two happen.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. Growing up  both Illinois and Purdue were obviously very strong programs, not elite but very good....and to see those just goes to show what happens when a bad hire or two happen.

No doubt. We were poised to capitalize on the success Tiller had and really invest in the program. But instead we went cheap and hired Hope and then of course the Hazell fiasco didn’t help either. Luckily we finally have an AD who isn’t afraid to spend money. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Where PSU ended up the last 4 years ranking wise and their record:

2019- 11-2 ranked 9th

2018- 9-4 ranked 17th 

2017: 11-2 ranked 8th 

2016: 11-3 ranked 7th 

42 wins- which would equate to 105 wins over 10 years and they're avg ending in the poll is 10th. Pretty damn good the last 4 years. 

The point is well taken and accurate.  But I will throw in the notion that you could select different ten year periods.  One data point that is interesting is that Bill Mallory came in 1984 and inherited a mess as Sam Wyche left after only one year.  Mallory went 0-11 that first year. But if you give Mallory a mulligan for 1984, then measure his ten year run from 1985-1994, I think you get to 63 wins, or the 6.3 average.  

Back to the point, I think a 70 plus win decade is within reach.  I think we can all foresee some good years.  But we have to avoid the write-off year.   You throw a 2-9 in there somewhere and it would wreck the decade.  If you can bottom out at 5 wins in perhaps a rebuilding or injury plagued year but otherwise win 7-8 consistently, then the numbers should take care of themselves.  

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The point is well taken and accurate.  But I will throw in the notion that you could select different ten year periods.  One data point that is interesting is that Bill Mallory came in 1984 and inherited a mess as Sam Wyche left after only one year.  Mallory went 0-11 that first year. But if you give Mallory a mulligan for 1984, then measure his ten year run from 1985-1994, I think you get to 63 wins, or the 6.3 average.  

Back to the point, I think a 70 plus win decade is within reach.  I think we can all foresee some good years.  But we have to avoid the write-off year.   You throw a 2-9 in there somewhere and it would wreck the decade.  If you can bottom out at 5 wins in perhaps a rebuilding or injury plagued year but otherwise win 7-8 consistently, then the numbers should take care of themselves.  

6.3 average for 11 games. Thats a 6.8 avg over 12 games. So his teams avged a record of 6.8-5.2 during those years, solid. 

1 hour ago, Sark said:

Those years were built largely on a very modest out of conference schedule which is not much different than what we have now. In the Big 10, we were still below .500 during that 10 year stretch and that’s what has to change if IU is to really be successful.

I wouldn't say the Mallory years that out  of conference schedule was modest or easy.  I looked at 85-87 so far and saw we played Missouri, UL and Navy in both 85-86 and in 87 we played Missouri, UK and Rice.

Archived