Spring forward weekend

Drroogh

So in case work and social network etc., hasn't let you know, this is Spring Forward Weekend!

But the real point of this thread is where do yo stand on Daylight Savings time?

For me I remember growing up in Indiana when there was no daylight savings time, and I'm all for that! How about you?

Would you prefer the extra hour of light in the morning or the evening? Me, the evening hands down!

Have at it Animal House! 

Some things change automatically in my house in terms of the new time.  Others don't.  I just wish everything changed time automatically. Some are easy to change, like the stove. Others are more difficult like the mobile phones.  As for the time change. I love it. Spring is coming.  Who does not like that ?

I remember when I first moved to Michigan, arrived at church as everyone else was leaving and they were laughing "you forgot to change your clock". We responded with what are you talking about? We had never dealt with Daylight Savings time before!

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember when I first moved to Michigan, arrived at church as everyone else was leaving and they were laughing "you forgot to change your clock". We responded with what are you talking about? We had never dealt with Daylight Savings time before!

Once left Gary, Indiana for a wedding in South Bend.  Arrived after the ceremony. We forgot they were on a different time zone at that time.

58 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Some things change automatically in my house in terms of the new time.  Others don't.  I just wish everything changed time automatically. Some are easy to change, like the stove. Others are more difficult like the mobile phones.  As for the time change. I love it. Spring is coming.  Who does not like that ?

You have a mobile phone that doesn't change time by itself? Would that phone fold in the middle by chance? You might be interested in Consumer Cellular. You can get a new fancy phone, with big numbers for free. Free I tell ya! :)

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Once left Gary, Indiana for a wedding in South Bend.  Arrived after the ceremony. We forgot they were on a different time zone at that time.

Yeah that was a problem with the northwest counties trying to be part of Chicago! 

Speaking of DST from a Hoosier stance, with my main corporate HQ being in Arizona (just to set the stage). Since Indiana had not done it since I was very young (It seems we used to do it???) once we started I thought it was stupid, insane, ignorant. That was my Myopic view on the world and that world revolved around me and my knowledge. Stupid I tell ya! 

Then it dawned on me that there are 50 states, 48 that do it and have for a while (forgive my #'s, I am not sure about Alaska and Hawaii, they are outliers in this exersize) and 2 that do not. When I was only concerned about my small world that centered around a 30 mile raidus of Bloomington, it was stupid. Then my radius changed, it was a global raidus. Suddenly I was part of an outlier that honestly, suddenly made no sense (whether it was right or wrong is immaterial). 2 states are BY GOD right and 48 stupid states are wrong. hmmmmk.

Now I am down to Arizona being the only correct state with 49 stupid E'ffers. I really don't care either way, but lets all do the same damn thing. And please spare me the OMG I lose/ gain 1 hour of sleep 2 times a year. I've lost 3-4 days at a time with Bachelor Parties.   

Miss the old days. 

Didn’t mind having to figure out when the movie, or work or church, started across the line in Michigan.  Didn’t mind having to figure when we had to leave to get to Cedar Point when it opened.  Didn’t mind never having to change, almost, every time source in the house or on my person. Oh well.

My wife still thinks I’m crazy for having to take a second to think what way we move the clocks each time (she grew up Ohio)😄

46 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

You have a mobile phone that doesn't change time by itself? Would that phone fold in the middle by chance? You might be interested in Consumer Cellular. You can get a new fancy phone, with big numbers for free. Free I tell ya! :)

I do have a flip phone that I rarely use. But it does change times. It's my home mobile phones that do not change automatically.  Panasonic. And I have to go to a website every six months to relearn how to change the time. Since I can't find the instructions which came with the phones.

By the way..... thanks for being a great HSN member !

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I do have a flip phone that I rarely use. But it does change times. It's my home mobile phones that do not change automatically.  Panasonic. And I have to go to a website every six months to relearn how to change the time. Since I can't find the instructions which came with the phones.

By the way..... thanks for being a great HSN member !

lol, Dang I thought I was going to be able to get a referral fee to my old people phone network. Anyway I could interest you in a brand new product to help your Prostate health? :)

My Daylight Saving Time story...

All Air Traffic Control functions use GMT (Greenwich Mean Time or normally called "Zulu Time" for 0 offset) for continuity sake. You just have to be aware of your time zone's offset (here in Houston 5 hours when it changes in the spring, 6 hours when it changes in the fall).

I got my first certification in early spring 1981. Came in the morning Illinois switched to DST. Sat down at the clearance delivery/flight data position, and almost immediately, the flight data printer spit out a strip. The proposed departure time was 1030Z. I looked at the GMT clock and it was already 1100Z (departure strips print 30 minutes prior to the proposed time). Being fairly new, I was flummoxed...

I showed it to my supervisor. He scratched his head for a minute, then looked at the mid crew who were getting ready to go home. He said, "Hey, did you guys mess with the GMT clocks last night?" Their sup said, "why yeah. We went to Daylight Savings!" 

They never lived that down...

So a lot of you know I have a best friend in Russia. They used to have 12 time zones! A few years ago they decided to eliminate a couple of them and also eliminate DST. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected them at all! Affects me though, I question myself all the time, is she 7 hours ahead of me or is she 8 hours ahead of me? It used to be at times she was 9 hours ahead. I'm so confused?

Archived