Return the Buffalo as IU's "Official" Mascot ?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I am 41.  We have gone almost my entire life without a mascot.  I don't think we need one, nor do I really want one.  Forcing a mascot on the school now is just pushing something that I don't feel the fanbase is clamoring for.  I don't miss having a big cartoon character acting like a jackass on the court or field during a game.

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am 41.  We have gone almost my entire life without a mascot.  I don't think we need one, nor do I really want one.  Forcing a mascot on the school now is just pushing something that I don't feel the fanbase is clamoring for.  I don't miss having a big cartoon character acting like a jackass on the court or field during a game.

I am fine as well, not having a mascot.  Can't even imagine an evergreen tree as a mascot.  The past two days, the Illinois fans were voting on the weird bird (kingfisher) to be their next mascot.  Don't know if the results are in.

In terms of IU's buffalo. The article I linked said IU stopped using a live buffalo due to costs.  I am sure that was a factor.  However, what really put an end to the live buffalo mascot, was the day the buffalo got loose on the football field when they were practicing running it.  And took forever, to corral it up.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am fine as well, not having a mascot.  Can't even imagine an evergreen tree as a mascot.  The past two days, the Illinois fans were voting on the weird bird (kingfisher) to be their next mascot.  Don't know if the results are in.

In terms of IU's buffalo. The article I linked said IU stopped using a live buffalo due to costs.  I am sure that was a factor.  However, what really put an end to the live buffalo mascot, was the day the buffalo got loose on the football field when they were practicing running it.  And took forever, to corral it up.

IMO, forcing UI to dump their mascot due to PC is ridiculous because it was originally chosen because of the Illini tribe heritage and it wasn't done in a mocking or disrespectful manner.  That aside, it's amusing to realize that a Kingfisher could potentially be seen as 'racist' by anyone with extreme sensitivity (think: Amos 'n Andy).

Anyway, I agree with a previous poster that trying to invent or force a mascot (i.e. a tradition) seems contrived.  I kind of felt that way about "The Rock", but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

IMO, forcing UI to dump their mascot due to PC is ridiculous because it was originally chosen because of the Illini tribe heritage and it wasn't done in a mocking or disrespectful manner.  That aside, it's amusing to realize that a Kingfisher could potentially be seen as 'racist' by anyone with extreme sensitivity (think: Amos 'n Andy).

Anyway, I agree with a previous poster that trying to invent or force a mascot (i.e. a tradition) seems contrived.  I kind of felt that way about "The Rock", but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I'm with you.  Anything at this point is gimmicky and forced.  

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I didnt like "The Rock" either at the time. Clemson already did it and had a real story. But I do think it honors coach Heps memory now. 

I am fine with no mascot. 

I'm sure there would be some sort of copyright issue, but I always thought an Indiana Jones lookalike would be cool. Ride horseback out onto the football field firing off some six shooters, crack a whip at some front row yuppies at basketball games, AND he's an educated college professor. 

Hell, we could even have a tribe of blow dart shooting, painted up, loin cloth wearing natives chasing him around the stadium/assembly hall for halftime entertainment. The possibilities are endless. 

Archived