Wisconsin post game thread

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eventually someone will step up and say not on my watch. Maybe it's Lander next year. In terms of this year. IU is still in tourney. I'm just ticked at how we squander leads. Sure there will be some nerves leading up to next Sunday but Hoosiers will still be playing on the 19th or 20th. 

Just now, Beowulf50 said:

Offense under Miller has been horrendous to watch!!! This game should have been a win as well as last week against Illinois!! Year three we should not be on the bubble!!

I thought the actual offense ran was fine and got good shots but when you missed 15 shots within 5 feet of the basket you will not look good.

5 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

“Hitting our open shots” Race, TJD, and Smith are just 3 players that really stand out who need to work on their soft touch around and under the basket. All year we have witnessed 50 mph bricks by them around the rim.

Gotta throw Brunk in there too.  He normally misses 4-5 chippies a game.  He missed 2-3 today.

Why the hell is it so hard to get a few deadeye shooters in here? That's a massive difference between us and WI. Even their bigs are proficient mid-range and 3-pt shooters. Ours are one-dimensional and have to be within 7 feet to have any hope to score.

There are some positive building blocks for next year.

Hunter and Race continue to get better and I think Rob will improve.  Defense is looking better lately.Hopefully one of the recruits emerges as a shooter. Interesting  to see what happens if Lander reclassifies.  As has been the case in the Archie era we desperately need a shooter. The extended scoring droughts happen waaaayy too often.

I’m honestly afraid if those who want Archie gone get their wish in a year or two, we will continue to slide into the abyss even farther. 

My thoughts are scattered - still processing this loss, one we had 

These losses to teams where we have controlled the game Arkansas, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin - tells me this team is closer then some seem to think- win two of those and we look very different.

Just like the first half.  Poor offense.  After Wisc took the lead, IU had three chances on offense when Wisc did not score.  Missed easy shots again and again.  This is how you lose in crunch time.  Also, that extra point at the FT line didn't help.  I really hate Wisconsin, but gotta admit they are tough as nails.

Having to do everything in my power to not punch a hole through the wall!! We’re not getting in calling it now... they’re going to look at our last 4 games... 1-3.. total collapse at the end of that game.. not to mention it was a damn home game! No excuse!! Game was so winnable!! They had A LOT more grit at the end of that game. This program will never be the same!! I’m totally convinced!! This is embarrassing! 

5 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Frustrating loss. I hate when fans act like the sky is falling after one game though. 

Agreed on it being frustrating ...but it’s not one game ...it’s eleven of them now and all eleven usually have the same or a similar story line especially the home losses ....if you toss our 5-6 cupcake games at the beginning of the seasons that means against decent to good teams 50% of the time we either no show or we play carelessly with leads , display inconsistent shooting at best, struggle to move and share the ball , and have regular effort lapses and/or lengthy scoring droughts ....i  agree it’s been a work in progress and there have been areas of improvement ( we’ve consistently kept our turnovers down the last 5-6 games for example ) but the loses are always the same old thing and it’s not a one time thing 

It's hard for me to be fair watching IUBB during the CAM era without comparing them to what we were during our glory years.  Sadly they are LONG GONE in the rear view mirror.  I hate Wiscy and hate this loss.  However,  I still see that this team is better now than 3mo ago. We simply have the opposite problem from the days of CTC.  We hated that his teams couldn't defend a 1 legged man and now we simply can't throw the ball the ocean.  Now that the season is over just have a few thoughts:

1.  Still think we make the NCAAT if we win 1st game in BTT.  Otherwise NIT again

2.  CAM's D works but he still has players that make too many mistakes

3.  CAM's O works but we simply have too few shooters.  

4.  The team remains a work in progress.  The talent level just isn't yet where it needs to be.

5.  I think the talent level is improving steadily and that CAM is SLOWLY making progress

6.. We are still on an upward trajectory year to year

7.  IUBB fans including myself are non the less impatient and will remain that way

8.  If we make either the NCAAT or the NIT doubtful we make an noise because ultimately it's about scoring points--something we are poorly constructed to do

9.  I will continue to appreciate and cheer for those that choose to don the candy stripes

10.There's always next year.

Hope we make the NCAAT.  I will continue to watch no matter how harmful it is to my cardiovascular system.  Go IU!

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought the actual offense ran was fine and got good shots but when you missed 15 shots within 5 feet of the basket you will not look good.

There are games in which I have not liked the offense but agree with you today. We were able to get, but missed, countless shots from 6 feet in. 

1 minute ago, H00sier said:

I’m honestly afraid if those who want Archie gone get their wish in a year or two, we will continue to slide into the abyss even farther. 

My thoughts are scattered - still processing this loss, one we had 

These losses to teams where we have controlled the game Arkansas, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin - tells me this team is closer then some seem to think- win two of those and we look very different.

The last paragraph is why we are firmly in the tournament. Look at the conference standings. 2 more wins and this team is not only ranked but probably in the top 18-20 in the country. The line between top 20 and on the bubble is not that thin.

This team is close. It just needs some growth from the young guys we have and another piece or two to bring more consistency on offense.

I stopped counting in the second half, but we missed 3 layups in the first half. Then there was the lane violation by Smith after they missed a free throw. Little things like that add up, and this team needs all the points it can muster. This is what separates us from more successful programs like Wisconsin. 

I laugh when I think of all our fans who said Wisconsin was toast when Bo Ryan retired. We're 2-7 against them since he left. They haven't gone anywhere...and neither have we. 

Archived