Wisconsin post game thread

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Eventually someone will step up and say not on my watch. Maybe it's Lander next year. In terms of this year. IU is still in tourney. I'm just ticked at how we squander leads. Sure there will be some nerves leading up to next Sunday but Hoosiers will still be playing on the 19th or 20th. 

Assuming he reclassifies ....anyone watch him regularly or know him enough to know about his leadership or drive ?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Just like the first half.  Poor offense.  After Wisc took the lead, IU had three chances on offense when Wisc did not score.  Missed easy shots again and again.  This is how you lose in crunch time.  Also, that extra point at the FT line didn't help.  I really hate Wisconsin, but gotta admit they are tough as nails.

That's what I hoped and believed we were getting with Archie Miller, but thus far it's been just the opposite of "tough".

2 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I’m honestly afraid if those who want Archie gone get their wish in a year or two, we will continue to slide into the abyss even farther. 

My thoughts are scattered - still processing this loss, one we had 

These losses to teams where we have controlled the game Arkansas, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin - tells me this team is closer then some seem to think- win two of those and we look very different.

3 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I’m honestly afraid if those who want Archie gone get their wish in a year or two, we will continue to slide into the abyss even farther. 

My thoughts are scattered - still processing this loss, one we had 

These losses to teams where we have controlled the game Arkansas, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin - tells me this team is closer then some seem to think- win two of those and we look very different.

Archie needs to go, and Green needs to sit the bench the whole game.  

Some IU fans want more to be right on their "predictions" than to see the team succeed. 

This team absolutely deserves an NCAA bid regardless of what the Doom and gloomers profess. Stronger resume than about any other "bubble" team out there.

Losses suck, but I'm sick of all the egregious overreactions.

Watching Wisconsin celebrate a conference championship in Assembly Hall makes me want to puke.  Can’t say I’m surprised at how it played out, that’s just typical Indiana basketball now.  All the IU homers on the message boards will be proclaiming IU is a “lock” all week, but it will be interesting to see if a win over Nebraska and 20-13 record will be enough to get them in.  Welcome to bubble city... So annoying.

I don’t think Wisconsin somehow wanted it more down the stretch. We put players in position to score and they simply missed. Those four or five missed shots after the 4:02 mark typically go in. The put back Thompson missed had nothing to due with a lack of willingness to win. 
Even after those misses Indiana continued to do what got them the the lead which was play defense. If the last 4:02 of game were played 99 more times Indiana would win 90% of them. 

Offense down the stretch was a mess. We just seem to wither mentally when shots stop falling. Some of that is on the players, some of it on the coaching.

I still think we're highly likely for the tournament as long as we win one in Indy. We may still be in even if we lose that one, but I'd rather not find out.

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I don’t think Wisconsin somehow wanted it more down the stretch. We put players in position to score and they simply missed. Those four or five missed shots after the 4:02 mark typically go in. The put back Thompson missed had nothing to due with a lack of willingness to win. 
Even after those misses Indiana continued to do what got them the the lead which was play defense. If the last 4:02 of game were played 99 more times Indiana would win 90% of them. 

Several key offensive rebounds down the stretch for Wisconsin.  

Contrary to some. If we are on the bubble we have strongest bubble resume in the history of the NCAA tourney. Don't worry about the tourney guys. Worry about 7 straight bad possessions from 6 52 mark I believe to let this one slide away. Scary part is today, Maryland, and Illinois game. Just those 3 wins and we might be talking 5/6 seed. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Contrary to some. If we are on the bubble we have strongest bubble resume in the history of the NCAA tourney. Don't worry about the tourney guys. Worry about 7 straight bad possessions from 6 52 mark I believe to let this one slide away. Scary part is today, Maryland, and Illinois game. Just those 3 wins and we might be talking 5/6 seed. 

The bubble situation can get tenuous depending on what happens in conference tournaments.  While IU failed to strengthen their resume, other teams can.  Northern Iowa lost last night, so there is potentially one at large position already gone.  Florida is crushing UK today.  Similar resume to IU.  If Texas Tech were to beat Kansas.....

If we win Wednesday, we should be in.  If we lose Wednesday, that's the bad loss we've avoided so far, and we're likely not getting in.  All we needed to do was win today and remove all doubt.  We didn't get it done.

12 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Some IU fans want more to be right on their "predictions" than to see the team succeed. 

Strongly disagree (unless you are talking about a troll)  I think nearly every IU fan desperately wants the team to succeed and get to the point where getting into the tourney is virtually a given/expectation. 

This is what “the process” looks like. It has been frustrating. Alot of great wins have been left on the table that were there for the taking, including and especially today. I have been off and on about Archie, but I have seen improvements. This an improved Wisconsin team that curb stomped us 3 months ago, and we had them on the ropes. We couldn’t finish. We [still] can’t seem to shoot a basketball, especially within 5 feet of the rim. I saw a lot of dead armed shots- they looked like nervous shots. But look at WHO is taking the shots. I don’t particularly think Race is ready to be taking clutch shots, and he gave up a huge rebound that hurt us big time. BUT, Race is a red shirt FRESHMAN. He also had 11 rebounds. Trayce is a freshman, and has time to grow. I also think Archie and staff have to learn how to win. This is hard for us to experience (again) after the first 3 seasons of Crean and thinking the rebuild was over. But it’s where we are. I am confident that this team, it’s genetic make up, just doesnt know how to win. But, I will remain hopeful that next year will really be the referendum on the Archie tenure at IU. The Lander commitment moved the needle for me that much. That, and the improvement that we have seen. Let’s face it, we have a neophyte coach and a few missing pieces from making some real noise. Let’s hope that we back in to the Dance. Holding out hope that the lights finally come on and these guys wake up. If not, I truly believe the [potential] is there to have a really special home grown Indiana team next year. Reality is, we will have to wait and give it another year, whether we are optimistic or not. 

PS. I hate Wisconsin 

19 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I stopped counting in the second half, but we missed 3 layups in the first half. Then there was the lane violation by Smith after they missed a free throw. Little things like that add up, and this team needs all the points it can muster. This is what separates us from more successful programs like Wisconsin. 

I laugh when I think of all our fans who said Wisconsin was toast when Bo Ryan retired. We're 2-7 against them since he left. They haven't gone anywhere...and neither have we. 

You are spot on! Sad situation!

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

1. I have no idea how we lost this game. 

2. Archie’s big focus is to get older. He deserves the chance to get there with his own players. 

3. No idea how we lost. 

We lost because they are better than us and better coached.  But win on Wednesday which is almost a certainty and I think we're still in.  I agree on a chance to get older but next year should be his last chance.  He's going to have a stacked backcourt and frontcourt.  Expectations should be very high and I think that's reasonable. 

I feel bad for the guys. This loss hurts. But...I'll take this level of effort from the team any day, week, month, or year. If we had played with this level of effort all year, we'd be arguing about how high of a seed we should get.

From my standpoint I thought we played pretty well, just couldn't get shots to fall late. After we shot lights out in the first half, you know we won't keep it up in the 2nd half. I thought the difference in the game was that Wisky utilized their screens much more effectively than we did. And we didn't block out at the end of the game. They got far too many offensive rebounds.

Trace needs to play more determined. He waits too long to let the game come to him. He's too important to be quiet offensively. But hey...he's a true freshman.

Go Hoosiers!

Archived