Wisconsin post game thread

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Several key offensive rebounds down the stretch for Wisconsin.  

Yes, but several in a row for Indiana shortly before that. I don't think Wisconsin played harder. I do think they were mentally tougher. They kept executing their stuff late, we did not.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Strongly disagree (unless you are talking about a troll)  I think nearly every IU fan desperately wants the team to succeed and get to the point where getting into the tourney is virtually a given/expectation. 

There are plenty of fans who care more about being right than watching the team succeed. There's a few here; there's droves on other sites.

It's honestly more frustrating than watching the team lose games like this.

Just now, Jackson Kellogs said:

I would reject the NIT invite.. shits embarrassing.. I don’t even want to be in that. You’re either in the dance or season is over. I’m sorry if that’s a stretch to some people but I’m sick and tired of mediocrity.. if we’re not in the tournament, then onto next year in my opinion. 

The NCAA changed the rules a few years ago and a school can no longer turn down a NIT invite.

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Strongly disagree (unless you are talking about a troll)  I think nearly every IU fan desperately wants the team to succeed and get to the point where getting into the tourney is virtually a given/expectation. 

Well said! I as a fan expect us to make the dance every year!! We have underachieved for way to long!! 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I stopped counting in the second half, but we missed 3 layups in the first half. Then there was the lane violation by Smith after they missed a free throw. Little things like that add up, and this team needs all the points it can muster. This is what separates us from more successful programs like Wisconsin. 

I laugh when I think of all our fans who said Wisconsin was toast when Bo Ryan retired. We're 2-7 against them since he left. They haven't gone anywhere...and neither have we. 

They've been a bit more fragile than it appears. In 2017-18, with Reuvers, Trice, Davison, Pritzl, Ford plus Haap and Iverson, they went 15-18. Last year, they rode an unbelievable individual year by Haap to get back to NCAAT. This year, without Haap, they started 13-10. Also started the year without Micah Potter. Since he's been eligible and acclimated, they've been a B1G championship caliber team. Without Potter's transfer, they're a middle to back of the pack team.

They have experienced, veteran leadership. IU doesn't.

Why in the hell are you subbing out Devonte, De’Ron, and Jerome in the first half when we’re on a run. Leave them in the damn game! Brunk and Smith are both bad in my opinion and absolutely should not be starters. Then you let Wisconsin go on a 12-0 run without one single timeout.. this is on Archie 110%! Embarrassing!! 

2 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yes, but several in a row for Indiana shortly before that. I don't think Wisconsin played harder. I do think they were mentally tougher. They kept executing their stuff late, we did not.

I can agree with that take on it.  Either way, it's frustrating, because in the era I grew up (70's & 80's), IU did not lose these types of games.  

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

They've been a bit more fragile than it appears. In 2017-18, with Reuvers, Trice, Davison, Pritzl, Ford plus Haap and Iverson, they went 15-18. Last year, they rode an unbelievable individual year by Haap to get back to NCAAT. This year, without Haap, they started 13-10. Also started the year without Micah Potter. Since he's been eligible and acclimated, they've been a B1G championship caliber team. Without Potter's transfer, they're a middle to back of the pack team.

They have experienced, veteran leadership. IU doesn't.

I would take it at this point if being fragile means going to the tourney 2/3 years and winning the Big Ten.

47 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

There's no maybe. We're in right now. A loss to Nebraska would certainly hurt, but as long as we avoid that, we're unquestionably in. We might well be in even if we lose that.

I think all the IU bubble talk is for clicks and eyeballs on TV. The seeding won't be great but IU should be in.

Just now, IU878176 said:

I would take it at this point if being fragile means going to the tourney 2/3 years and winning the Big Ten.

I would take it also. Point being, their current crop of juniors had to grow up, plus add possibly their best player as a transfer to be where they are.

Some feel we are still a shoo-in for the tourney but I sure would like another “W” to feel more comfortable next Sunday.

We really need to win Weds. Losing would mean dropping a game to short-handed Nebraska (a bad loss) and losing 4 of our last 5 which might put us in a little danger on Sunday. 

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have never been so disappointed in an IU game as I was today.  So much to play for, and Senior Day to boot.  One team wanted it down the stretch and that team was not IU.

I had to step away for about an hour to calm down and drink a couple of (what I was hoping to be celebratory) beers. I'm mainly upset at myself for pissing away the afternoon watching this team piss away yet another game. For some reason the midday weekend games have been gut wrenching. Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin. I'm still trying to figure out why one of my main hobbies is being angry and frustrated at a group of 18-22 year olds who I've never met that wear a certain basketball jersey. 

This team is actually pretty good when they play hard and stay focused. The problem is they can't do it for 40 minutes. 30, maybe 32 minutes per game, but they have no killer instinct and just appear lost for 8-10 minutes every outing. That said, I love the energy and toughness that Race brings, especially on the glass - even if he missed a wide-open layup. 

I hope the loud vocal minority blaming the coaching staff jump ship and don’t look back. 

There is a class of absolute winners coming in next year to compliment a now seasoned TJD. Veterans in Smith, Phinisee, Durham and Thompson. Guys with a huge upside in Hunter and Franklin. 

This is how you build a high level program. The head coach is full of fire, fury and passion. Add to that players that fit his mold and it’s back to winning big. Winning big makes it much easier to recruit big. It’s a trickle effect and it’s already started.

Book it

54 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I’m honestly afraid if those who want Archie gone get their wish in a year or two, we will continue to slide into the abyss even farther. 

My thoughts are scattered - still processing this loss, one we had 

These losses to teams where we have controlled the game Arkansas, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin - tells me this team is closer then some seem to think- win two of those and we look very different.

Let me first say that I am not big Archie guy but my question is what did he do today that lost us the game.  For me when we lose it is on the players more than the coaches and that is just not an IU thing to me.  To me the coaches job is to put the players in the best place to succeed  and to me Archie did that today.  It is up to players the execute the game plan and to be able to hit their shots.  We did not turn the ball over much today and we out rebounded them so the reason we lost was not hitting enough shots so is that Archie's fault.

Archived