Wisconsin post game thread

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly....I know we don’t like to hear this but even in our losses the past day 10 games this team has competed and really played well. If we had played this good early in the B1G season we probably would have won a couple more we gave away. I think we play our way in!

= participation trophies..no thanks!! I’ll take wins....

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’m not disputing you but am wondering where you saw that.

Kenpom breaks out OOC and has ours ranked at 194th.  Would just like to see others.
Looked at Sagarin but could not find where he might break out the OOC sos.

NET team sheet for IU has OOC schedule as 69

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Team Sheets - March 6, 2020.pdf

36 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Tough loss. Couldn’t make anything down the stretch. Wisconsin is impressive!! IU will be in NCAA’s! Another year with a step in right direction! 

Yes IU will be in. Last year OSU was an 11 seed. They were 8-12 in conference and 19-14 overall. They lost six of their last 8 games prior to BTT. Two wins were at home against NW and IA. Went 1-1 in BTT. Six at-large teams got in behind them.

1 hour ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I had to step away for about an hour to calm down and drink a couple of (what I was hoping to be celebratory) beers. I'm mainly upset at myself for pissing away the afternoon watching this team piss away yet another game. For some reason the midday weekend games have been gut wrenching. Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin. I'm still trying to figure out why one of my main hobbies is being angry and frustrated at a group of 18-22 year olds who I've never met that wear a certain basketball jersey. 

I saw the opening few minutes but then took my boys out to play at the playground.  I was monitoring the score and it looked like we were keeping them at bay for most of the game and then fell apart at the end.  I was not unhappy about my decision to DVR the game....

I am not happy with the current state of the program, but if we make the tournament, that was basically my goal for the year.  I don't want to dog on the players too hard but it is clear that we have had a bit of a mismatch between the type of player we have in the program and what the staff wants to do.  Recruiting is basically 70% of winning in college basketball anymore.  Coaching moves and culture also play a part, but the consistent winners are either bringing in the top tier guys or they are bringing in system people and continuing to advance based off a certain style that has been in place for sometime.  Lander and TJD potentially on the same team is the type of talent you have to have to win.

My expectation level is lowered anymore.  This program does not know how to win anymore.  That is going to have to be built back into it.  It pisses me off to no end, but this has been a completely pedestrian program since before Knight was fired.  You have to have the players wanting to be excellent and pushing each other to be excellent and that has to be passed down whenever new guys come in.  I get the impression that we have players that are sometimes content with soaking up all of the adulation of being an Indiana player without realizing what it takes to actually continue that tradition and not just benefit from the laurels that someone else laid out for you to rest on.

We are getting a potential change at the top of the AD.  I hope that helps the basketball culture start to change too.  

4 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

I was as tough as anybody on Archie through our slump in January. But guys have improved. Defense has improved. Turnovers have improved

Yep the W's haven't quite shown up yet, but major improvement over the past few weeks in multiple phases of the game. Our KenPom defensive rating was in the 50's all year until February. Up to 31 now.

1 minute ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Yep the W's haven't quite shown up yet, but major improvement over the past few weeks in multiple phases of the game. Our KenPom defensive rating was in the 50's all year until February. Up to 31 now.

Exactly, I know we all  Want wins now. But we have been mediocre for a very long time.

I am seeing a team getting closer, with a flawed roster.

Defense is better. Mental toughness is better. Recruiting is good.

To think hitting a reset makes any sense is short sided in my opinion.

We will slowly keep getting better and older. It is the right way.

I hate losing. But I do feel good about what Archie is doing. It is methodical and thought out.

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Exactly, I know we all  Want wins now. But we have been mediocre for a very long time.

I am seeing a team getting closer, with a flawed roster.

Defense is better. Mental toughness is better. Recruiting is good.

To think hitting a reset makes any sense is short sided in my opinion.

We will slowly keep getting better and older. It is the right way.

I hate losing. But I do feel good about what Archie is doing. It is methodical and thought out.

Well said.  I tend to agree...especially regarding a flawed roster.  We are weak offensively...But we all know that.  Just need better basketball players, IMHO.  And more shooters.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I truly hate this IU team. 

That is harsh. I see a team playing hard. I want wins. I get frustrated. But this seems harsh.

Today, we missed shots. We were not out coached, out hustled etc. Wisconsin beat us by 30 earlier in the year. This time, we had it right there for the taking.

It is not a win. But it is a team improving and not laying down.

Hate seems awfully tough, man. 

Archived