Wisconsin post game thread

33 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Couldn’t agree more, it’s so easy to follow and cheer for a team that’s doing well, it’s a much harder thing to hang in there and keep cheering and watching when times are rough. Keep the faith guys and gals, the team is starting to play defense again, once we have one or two young men that can hit a shot we are gonna start winning. And once we start winning, we will get better and better players, for everyone who says we are a has been, Indiana is one of the premier college basketball programs in this great nation, our days in the spotlight will come again - I for one will enjoy it greatly having watched the struggle. 

Oh I’d say with utmost confidence, any IU fan over the age of 30 has lived enough IU hoops to know full well what it feels like to root for a team that isn’t good and hard to cheer for at times. We’ve got that down pat.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Dukes elite status wasn’t built over night, Villanova wasn’t built over night, neither was North Carolina. Archie has improved in the win column each year at IU, KenPom ratings each year at IU(still prefer this over the NET), Quad 1 wins have improved, wins over top 25 opponents have improved and his recruiting strategy is working(can’t get every recruit that plays high school ball in Indiana). I’m impatient and at fault too for wanting us to return to greatness(maybe it’ll never happen with Archie who knows) as soon as possible but we won’t get back to consistent tourney appearances, sweet 16s or hell even a final four or a national title if we are having coaches filter through every 3 years. 

Archie has lost a few games but he’s learning. I firmly expect a NCAA tourney appearance and maybe even a win. Next year, I expect a tourney appearance again and winning a few games at a min(rd 32 at least? Or sweet 16?)

This game IU shoulda won(Arkansas and Maryland too) but last year IMO were singing a different tune by being happy that we almost beat top ranked teams(Wisconsin and Maryland) While I’m disappointed in today’s loss, I’m just as excited for the BIG tourney(I know our track record in this event sucks) and our anticipated bid for the big dance. 

Didn't we beat Wisconsin and sweep Michigan State last season?  I don't see any progression sorry other than we didn't lose 12 of 13.   

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I will be here until I take my last breath on this earth and that is if we win or lose.

Me too, I promise it will be worth the wait, however painful it is. Listen I’ve lived in Lexington, Kentucky since moving from Bremen, Indiana and having to endure the last 15-20 years while UK has had their best 20 year run on us is beyond painful. I wear my cream and crimson proudly - as they say - “ The “Cream rises to the top” :)

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Oh I’d say with utmost confidence, any IU fan over the age of 30 has lived enough IU hoops to know full well what it feels like to root for a team that isn’t good and hard to cheer for at times. We’ve got that down pat.

Well, any fan over 40 knows what it’s like to cheer and watch the best program in the land as well. Our time isn’t over 

3 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Well, any fan over 40 knows what it’s like to cheer and watch the best program in the land as well. Our time isn’t over

Born in 1970 so I have seen the best that IU has to offer and have seen some of the worst.  While the last few years have been really disappointing my most disappointing  era of IU basketball was RMK's last 5 years.  I know they were better than the few years but it is more disappointing seeing a coach you know is an all time great just go through the motions.

50 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think there’s a lot of frustration built up from the Crean era and even before that where it makes IU fans incredibly impatient. And I just think that’s really unfair to Archie,

I agree with much of your post except for saying IU fans are incredibly impatient. I think the fans (most of them) have been patient. This is his third year and his Big Ten records have been 9-9 (6th place) 8-12th (9th)  and now 9-11 (10th place). Ironically his best conference record was with the supposedly horrendous roster he inherited.  Many fan bases would be more impatient as there are a ton of places that would be drawing 7-8,000 fans a game at this point.
Impatient was when Archie was first hired and 75% of the posters predicted we would be in the tourney his first year and most of the other 25% stated it would probably be year two. The “patience” has been that we keep moving the goal post to where we are now satisfied if the team “shows up” and we make the tourney, This is Indiana. We have now gone four years in a row without winning more than half of our Big Ten games. That has not happened since the 1930-1934 seasons so yes....I think we have been relatively patient. 

I’m still in the camp of giving him another year or two, am excited about next years class (especially if Lander reclassifies) and agree that we have improved as the year ended as our effort, defense, turnovers and offense (we are getting a ton of good shots but not hitting enough of them) are all improving.  The skeptical side of me, however, can’t believe I’m happy with improvement primarily because we are finally consistently playing hard while still  losing 3 of our last 4. 

I’m looking forward to Wednesday as I think a win will get us in the tourney which is a big step towards getting the team, program, coaches and fans in the right direction. I really hope Archie works out as another coaching change would be hard to take.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Born in 190 so I have seen the best that IU has to offer and have seen some of the worst.  While the last few years have been really disappointing my most disappointing  era of IU basketball was RMK's last 5 years.  I know they were better that the  few years but it is more disappointing seeing a coach you know is an all time great just go through the motions.

Ditto, I will never forget the Pepperdine game. The thing about being on the very top, it’s a long way down.  I will always wonder what would have happened had Coach been able to change with the youth of America, had he been a little more open/have the ability to relax some . There’s seriously no telling how many titles we may have had ,,, 10???? 

1 minute ago, H00sier said:

Ditto, I will never forget the Pepperdine game. The thing about being on the very top, it’s a long way down.  I will always wonder what would have happened had Coach been able to change with the youth of America, had he been a little more open/have the ability to relax some . There’s seriously no telling how many titles we may have had ,,, 10???? 

That Pepperdine game was gut wrenching.....

You know I went back and looked at the box score for Pepperdine lose , what happened with Guyton and Haston. They logged like no minutes. My oldest daughter was a baby, I just really remember Pepperdine seemingly having NBA athletes- seemed like it anyway- heartbreaker for sure. 

Imagine Aj Guyton on our team this year, we would be top 5 this year, I loved his shooting stroke - almost better the Calbert running off those screens for his 15-16 footers. 

Gonna make me cry thinking about guys who can shoot.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me  at the end of his era that the players were just ready to get the season over.

Agreed.

One thing that really stuck with me with was how fired up Jason Collier was when he first started playing for IU. I was not surprised at all when he transferred as he went from being fired up on the court to having “please get me out of here” body language.

7 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Agreed.

One thing that really stuck with me with was how fired up Jason Collier was when he first started playing for IU. I was not surprised at all when he transferred as he went from being fired up on the court to having “please get me out of here” body language.

Don’t even get me started on players I had such high hopes for that ended up leaving. My biggest ever is Luke Recker - man I loved that kid and was so excited when Coach signed him . 

Edit, just thinking about his game against UK - talk about fired up- that young man just screamed Hoosier, a heck of a lot more then Collier ever did , though Jason ended up playing for Georgia Tech and having a good college career. 

Reckers career played out like a sad movie , from the accident that i “think “ killed his girlfriend, which caused his move from Zona to Iowa 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Unfortunately, Lunardi creates a perception that can be hard to overcome.  You hope the committee is smarter than that, but......

As far as going after Lunardi, I am all for it.  But Archie did it wrong with the Sesame Street stuff.  Simply take a couple if teams Lunardi has solidly in (Texas Tech for one) and compare our resume.  He doesn't need to name them, just say Lunardi has this team as an 8 seed, let's compare resumes.

I don't think Lunardi sways anything. If he did, he wouldn't consistently be one of the worst bracketologists. 

Some of y'all will just never be happy. 

You bitched because things were way too up and down with Crean. Now we have a coach that is building with steady progress year over year and he isn't good enough because he doesn't take the massive leaps that Crean sometimes took. 

When you are rebuilding from a foundational level it takes time. Can anyone point to a coach that had to put in an entirely new foundation and didn't take time to do it the right way? Unless we can go the Cal route and get a lot of one and dones there isn't a quick way to do what we are doing. Look at K, Bennett, Pearl, and many more. If you want a solid foundation that leads to consistent success you can't do that overnight. 

1 hour ago, H00sier said:

Me too, I promise it will be worth the wait, however painful it is. Listen I’ve lived in Lexington, Kentucky since moving from Bremen, Indiana and having to endure the last 15-20 years while UK has had their best 20 year run on us is beyond painful. I wear my cream and crimson proudly - as they say - “ The “Cream rises to the top” :)

Man, I am so with you! I lived in eastern KY near Ashland, KY and Ironton, OH for six (01-07) LONG years. Between the tOSU and pUKe fans I almost lost my mind. 🤪 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When you are rebuilding from a foundational level it takes time. Can anyone point to a coach that had to put in an entirely new foundation and didn't take time to do it the right way? Unless we can go the Cal route and get a lot of one and dones there isn't a quick way to do what we are doing. Look at K, Bennett, Pearl, and many more. If you want a solid foundation that leads to consistent success you can't do that overnight. 

Point to a coach?

Pearl, first power conference team was Tennessee. He was there for 6 years and made the tourney all 6.

Mack, went to Xavier and went to the tourney his first three years and 7 of the first 8. Then went to dumpster fire Louisville and took them to tourney first year and they are top 10 in his second.

Beard at frigging Texas Tech. Second year Elite 8 and third year in the championship game....at Texas Tech.

Few made the sweet 16 each of his first two years and has made the tourney every year he has been at Gonzaga.

This response is not a shot at Archie but for every Coach K went 0-90 at Duke example there are also plenty of coaches that had quicker starts.

You know, I am disappointed again in our loss but I see this team beginning to take the personality of its coach more and more. They are not to the point that they are as mentally strong as they need to be BUT they are getting there. Our conference finishs may not be trending the way many of you want but, that is only ONE measuring stick. Kind of like NET, APR, or oc SOS.  Look at just one and you can create whatever picture you want. If WE as IU fans (supposedly some of the most intelligent basketball fans in the country) can't (won't) see the whole picture of Archie's development of our program, then what are we allowing ourselves to become? (Please dear God, not pUKe fans!!!) RMK educated us on the game of basketball. We have a coach now who ISN'T RMK, never will be, & doesn't need to be. However, he is CAM & he's going to do things his way. He has a smoldering anger/desire to WIN. He hates losing but he's smart enough to know that he is changing a culture not only with his team but also within the athletic department & fanbase. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to deal with the constant moaning and groaning from US!  Plus, he preaches defense and toughness. I'll take those traits all day long and twice on gameday!

I like his personality, his fire & determination, & the fact that's he's teaching his players how to handle the IU fishbowl. Most of all, I like that he spouted off to the talking heads and reminded us all (if just for a moment) of the great RMK! 

For all the doubters look at the WHOLE picture and not just what suits your point of view/argument.

Go Hoosiers!

Archived