Wisconsin post game thread

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It took Pearl 4 years to turn around Auburn nd like others have said look at Beilein at UM, Bennett at UVA, Izzo at MSU, Wright at Villanova, Coach K at Duke and could go on as well.

I get it that you can keep naming Coach K but I can keep naming Mack, Beard, Holtman, Knight, Howland, Sean Miller, etc., etc.

And a few of your examples.....
Pearls first power 5 job was Tennessee where he went to the tourney every single year.

Beilein went to the tourney at Michigan his second year. 

Bennett’s first power 5 job was at Washington State and he went to the tourney his first two years. 

Izzo sweet 16 his third year, final 4 th and champion his 5th...hope this is our trajectory.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well I said before Crean got fired that I thought he was leaving us in nearly as bad of shape as he found us, so that's not exactly a new position for me. 

That is almost funny.

Archie was not left with a full cupboard but you really equate inheriting....

Kyle Tabor vs Juwan Morgan and Davis

Brett Finklemeier vs Robert Johnson

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I get it that you can keep naming Coach K but I can keep naming Mack, Beard, Holtman, Knight, Howland, Sean Miller, etc., etc.

And a few of your examples.....
Pearls first power 5 job was Tennessee where he went to the tourney every single year.

Beilein went to the tourney at Michigan his second year. 

Bennett’s first power 5 job was at Washington State and he went to the tourney his first two years. 

Izzo sweet 16 his third year, final 4 th and champion his 5th...hope this is our trajectory.

This is an excellent point. Even guys who have proven they can do it quicker before such as Bennett and Pearl sometimes taken years to get it going at their current gig. 

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

That is almost funny.

Archie was not left with a full cupboard but you really equate inheriting....

Kyle Tabor vs Juwan Morgan and Davis

Brett Finklemeier vs Robert Johnson

I said nearly...

I don't think the roster was in any position to win for a few years when Archie took over just like it was for Crean, and that appears to have held true. 

Was it as bad? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it was anywhere close to a roster good enough to accomplish anything. Crean missed the tournament two of his final three years and his recruiting drastically fell off; why would you expect instant success when the program under Crean had always been built on sand? 

8 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So I am somewhat torn in instances like this.  I know for a fact that IU players enjoyed the night life during Knight's tenure (I personally saw them at house parties while on campus and also drank with at least one of them on my front porch after a win over Kentucky late in Knight's tenure), being a student with them, you know that they are students and young guys just like you.  I think adults sometimes get a little too judgemental about stuff like this....then again....if you were to take me to the side and ask me what I thought one of the biggest issues with this team is, those 4 would be where I would start.

It is a fishbowl in Bloomington for them, fair or not, a little discretion can sometimes go a long way.  Stay out of the bar and go to a house party with people you know.  It makes it so that pictures like this are less likely to be circulated and add fuel to the fire.

It’s tougher these days because of the omnipresent phones/social media but back in the day I frequently saw Wittman etc at bars a number of times. It happens under every coach and during every era.

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I said nearly...

I don't think the roster was in any position to win for a few years when Archie took over just like it was for Crean, and that appears to have held true. 

Was it as bad? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it was anywhere close to a roster good enough to accomplish anything. Crean missed the tournament two of his final three years and his recruiting drastically fell off; why would you expect instant success when the program under Crean had always been built on sand? 

I did not expect instant success. 

Crean did not miss the tourney 2 of his last 3 years. He went to the NIT his last year and the NCAA his two previous years.  He was an average coach that really needed for the bowel movement to exceed expectations but, aside from Yogi, that class really accelerated his downfall.

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is an excellent point. Even guys who have proven they can do it quicker before such as Bennett and Pearl sometimes taken years to get it going at their current gig. 

It’s something when we get to the point where we compare getting a basketball program going at IU with getting a basketball program going at Auburn,.......

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It’s something when we get to the point where we compare getting a basketball program going at IU with getting a basketball program going at Auburn,.......

Because we have not been "IU" for 20 years. That is not CAM's fault. It does suck that we compare ourselves with decent, not great programs.

You do not go from two decades of decent to great overnight.

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Because we have not been "IU" for 20 years. That is not CAM's fault. It does suck that we compare ourselves with decent, not great programs.

Who mentioned overnight ?!?! It’s already too late for an overnight change..

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It is year 3! Not 10. We are very likely in the tournament with a reestablished pipeline to the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. (This has been rebuilt from the dead).

Was you expecting final 4 by year 3?

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

It is year 3! Not 10. We are very likely in the tournament with a reestablished pipeline to the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. (This has been rebuilt from the dead).,

Was you expecting final 4 by year 3?

What have I posted that even remotely hints that I thought we would be in the final 4 in year 3?

This was part of my post from yesterday.....

I’m still in the camp of giving him another year or two, am excited about next years class (especially if Lander reclassifies) and agree that we have improved as the year ended as our effort, defense, turnovers and offense (we are getting a ton of good shots but not hitting enough of them) are all improving.  The skeptical side of me, however, can’t believe I’m happy with improvement primarily because we are finally consistently playing hard while still  losing 3 of our last 4. 

I’m looking forward to Wednesday as I think a win will get us in the tourney which is a big step towards getting the team, program, coaches and fans in the right direction. I really hope Archie works out as another coaching change would be hard to take.

24 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

That is what upsets me about our fan base is that they  base everything when we were at our best but right now we are not even close to that.  Also we have a once in a lifetime coach and we will probably never have a coach as good as RMK.  Some what to base their expectations on what it was when we were the very best but I just base expectations on what that current team should be.

21 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I just want the program built the right way with a solid foundation and to me that takes time.  I don't want to build our program like UK has done with a lot of one and done  guys who will not be here next year.

16 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

What have I posted that even remotely hints that I thought we would be in the final 4 in year 3?

This was part of my post from yesterday.....

I’m still in the camp of giving him another year or two, am excited about next years class (especially if Lander reclassifies) and agree that we have improved as the year ended as our effort, defense, turnovers and offense (we are getting a ton of good shots but not hitting enough of them) are all improving.  The skeptical side of me, however, can’t believe I’m happy with improvement primarily because we are finally consistently playing hard while still  losing 3 of our last 4. 

I’m looking forward to Wednesday as I think a win will get us in the tourney which is a big step towards getting the team, program, coaches and fans in the right direction. I really hope Archie works out as another coaching change would be hard to take.

Fair enough. My apologies if I mischaracterized your position.

I see improvement each year since Archies been here. I’ve not coached so what do I know. I do get tried of having these game won if we would just finish the other teams off. Arkansas,Maryland,Illinois andWisconsin 7 to nine point leads with 4 minutes or less to play and can’t make a basket or get that all important rebound to put the game away. Making crazy cheap turnovers to cost us the game. Is that on Archie!!! I don’t think so! I would think that these players have been taught how to win or take care of the ball by many coaches before they even got to this level.

I do think it is a case of several players trying to do to much on their own, and a lack of shooting talent on a few others. Hopefully with the maturity of several players and the addition of some much needed talent coming in this will be better next year. 

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

I see improvement each year since Archies been here. I’ve not coached so what do I know. I do get tried of having these game won if we would just finish the other teams off. Arkansas,Maryland,Illinois andWisconsin 7 to nine point leads with 4 minutes or less to play and can’t make a basket or get that all important rebound to put the game away. Making crazy cheap turnovers to cost us the game. Is that on Archie!!! I don’t think so! I would think that these players have been taught how to win or take care of the ball by many coaches before they even got to this level.

I do think it is a case of several players trying to do to much on their own, and a lack of shooting talent on a few others. Hopefully with the maturity of several players and the addition of some much needed talent coming in this will be better next year. 

Good post Bob.  Much appreciated !

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Is this a bad spot for me to say I just want Green gone? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m so ready for him to be gone. I honestly pack a little extra grace towards our coach for no other reason then having Green on this team.

ok...carry on.

Though you are a well respected member. My personal answer to your question is.... yes.  Give it time.  Green just may win a game that we need the most. He's done it in the past. 

I simply want to be relevant in men’s basketball.  I want to be in the conversation most years.  I want to be optimistic at the beginning of each season.  I want S16 runs to be expected.  There will be years when we exceed those expectations and years we will under achieve.  But we will be relevant.  I want a coach and players that HATE to lose.  And I want to achieve this on the up and up.  

Is that too much to ask?  Maybe...

I have not ready every post in this thread, and I am thankful that I know nearly every post is 1000% better than what would be on that other site. With that said.

Do you not think that Bucky is damn thankful to escape this game. Yes escape. Change 2-3 possession over the entire game, that is the difference. I am proud of what I watched, This team has came a long way and trending upward. Plenty of things to work on, but a hell of a lot less than there were 3 weeks ago. I think we are at the edge of the envelope looking to make the next jump.

Ok that is all. Just my opinion.  

12 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I have not ready every post in this thread, and I am thankful that I know nearly every post is 1000% better than what would be on that other site. With that said.

Do you not think that Bucky is damn thankful to escape this game. Yes escape. Change 2-3 possession over the entire game, that is the difference. I am proud of what I watched, This team has came a long way and trending upward. Plenty of things to work on, but a hell of a lot less than there were 3 weeks ago. I think we are at the edge of the envelope looking to make the next jump.

Ok that is all. Just my opinion.  

I agree Joe. We are not done with this year yet. I just believe next year is full of promise! 

On 3/8/2020 at 11:34 AM, KoB2011 said:

Sure we lost those games, but you're ignoring some really great wins. 

The question isn't if you think we meet some entirely subjective standard of what you've determined looks like a tournament team; the question is who are these teams that deserve to get in over us if we don't win two games?

No worries. I don't deny/debate this point of view. My post was obviously a purely subjective take. I clearly understand we could well make it in. Although I think a loss Wed. would make it a long shot. There may have been some great wins, but not enough for my taste. We left too many great wins where we had control on the floor. Call me greedy, but I want more. I know the B1G is tough, but I just feel like we should have to do more to earn it. 

Archived