Way too early IU vs Nebrasketball BTT pre game thread

If we get past Nebraska, I think playing the early game could help us out in the following game.  We have already played a game at Bankers Life this year and that will give us another game where we are shooting in the arena.  Penn State, Iowa, or whoever we end up playing may be at a disadvantage coming into the arena having rarely played there.  It seems like every year there is a team that gets that first round bye and then loses to a team that played the night before.

It would be hard to win the tournament having to play that many games in a row, but I would not be shocked to see us string a few wins together.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we get past Nebraska, I think playing the early game could help us out in the following game.  We have already played a game at Bankers Life this year and that will give us another game where we are shooting in the arena.  Penn State, Iowa, or whoever we end up playing may be at a disadvantage coming into the arena having rarely played there.  It seems like every year there is a team that gets that first round bye and then loses to a team that played the night before.

It would be hard to win the tournament having to play that many games in a row, but I would not be shocked to see us string a few wins together.

I agree. It also gives us a chance to get the winning a game in the BTT monkey off our back. If we get a favorable draw in the 6th seed, based on our play as of late I could see us winning on Thursday.  If we get to Friday, playing our third game in three days against a team playing their first might be a bit steep to overcome. I wouldn’t really lose any sleep over a loss on Friday in that scenario.  

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree. It also gives us a chance to get the winning a game in the BTT monkey off our back. If we get a favorable draw in the 6th seed, based on our play as of late I could see us winning on Thursday.  If we get to Friday, playing our third game in three days against a team playing their first might be a bit steep to overcome. I wouldn’t really lose any sleep over a loss on Friday in that scenario.  

Winning on Thursday would take all the guesswork out of it.  If Illinois beats Iowa, we’ll be playing Penn State.  If Iowa beats Illinois, we’ll be playing OSU.  Really either team should be beatable.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Winning on Thursday would take all the guesswork out of it.  If Illinois beats Iowa, we’ll be playing Penn State.  If Iowa beats Illinois, we’ll be playing OSU.  Really either team should be beatable.

I think I’d rather take my chances with Penn St, but I agree we could take OSU.  

I just saw that Jerry Palm has us as a 10th seed playing UVA which I think would be a good/interesting match-up.

We should beat Nebraska but do any posters have any idea how much a Nebraska win or loss will help or hurt our tourney seeding? I’m just not sure if the game is very meaningful, at this point, for tourney seeding.

Just now, IU878176 said:

I just saw that Jerry Palm has us as a 10th seed playing UVA which I think would be a good/interesting match-up.

We should beat Nebraska but do any posters have any idea how much a Nebraska win or loss will help or hurt our tourney seeding? I’m just not sure if the game is very meaningful, at this point, for tourney seeding.

I doubt a win with help much but a loss will definitely will kill us

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yikes, your right, it would be a very bad loss.I just looked and saw that Nebraska’s NET ranking is 190. I figured it was low but not that bad.

In any case we should win and it will be a moot point. Hopefully we beat NB and then pick up a decent win Thursday. 

14 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Historically, we are very good in this tournament. I fully expect to win this game going away on our way to at least to the quarterfinals. 

...am I reading you right?  IU is good in the Big Ten Tournament?  Did I miss the sarcasm font again?!!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Agree Scott.  A loss means we are hoping for NIT.  A win we are still squarely on the bubble. 2 wins and we are probably on the right side of the bubble. 

11 hours ago, Andy06 said:

Agree Scott.  A loss means we are hoping for NIT.  A win we are still squarely on the bubble. 2 wins and we are probably on the right side of the bubble. 

No clue of your posting history. You think we win and still on bubble? Only way we find bubble come Sunday is if we lose on Wednesday and 3-4 bid thieves happen this week.

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gotta play the game though...

If you remember, we "played down to the competition" against both Nebraska and Northwestern earlier in the year...

Now's not the time to lay an egg...

That’s what SCARES me the most on WED!  No matter who our competition, it will most likely come down to the last 10 sec’s.  

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

No question that a win means we’re in my friend.  20 wins playing in what many are saying the toughest conference they have ever witnessed has to mean something.  Call me crazy but IU played all 3 Co-champions tough, lost to ILLINOIS by 1pt & Beat Iowa!  That’s vs the top 5 of the toughest conference and we more than held our own!  We WONT be denied if we beat Nebraska simple as that.

I’m still bullish that we’re in even with a loss. It would be our only “bad” loss this year, compared to better wins then any other bubble team. I get the feeling that those who are saying that there is no chance that we make it are the same ones saying we don’t deserve to get in if we lose to Nebraska, which if you ask me is silly. Plenty of teams have far worse losses then Nebraska at a neutral site.

That being said, I do think we win. And I hope we win big so we can get some rest for our top 8 guys. 

1 hour ago, madmax said:

I’m still bullish that we’re in even with a loss. It would be our only “bad” loss this year, compared to better wins then any other bubble team. I get the feeling that those who are saying that there is no chance that we make it are the same ones saying we don’t deserve to get in if we lose to Nebraska, which if you ask me is silly. Plenty of teams have far worse losses then Nebraska at a neutral site.

That being said, I do think we win. And I hope we win big so we can get some rest for our top 8 guys. 

Pretty sure you’re right. We should be in regardless, but no one wants to see us lose to Nebraska (I think we’ll win), and no one wants to sweat it out on selection Sunday. 
We lost out last game but we’re playing better and against the best teams. I think it’s time to start thinking this team just may may make a little noise. I can see them doing better than expected 

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

No question that a win means we’re in my friend.  20 wins playing in what many are saying the toughest conference they have ever witnessed has to mean something.  Call me crazy but IU played all 3 Co-champions tough, lost to ILLINOIS by 1pt & Beat Iowa!  That’s vs the top 5 of the toughest conference and we more than held our own!  We WONT be denied if we beat Nebraska simple as that.

I hope you are right! My concern comes from our low ranking in all the computer rankings.   Beating a bad Nebraska team won't boost those at all.  

Archived