Archie's Post game "Rant"

5 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

For those who doubt, Michigan's best wins:

Gonzaga, Iowa, Rutgers-twice, Msu

IU's best wins:

Fsu, osu, Msu, Penn State, Iowa

Lunardi's seeds? Mich: 6 IU: 11 in the play in game.

I’d also have UM seeded higher than us.
UM smoked us when we played them (granted, at UM) and their NET ranking is 24 vs our 60. The NET rankings certainly seem flawed but wether or not we like it that’s one of the NCAA’s tools. Kenpom has them 16th while we are 40th, Sagarin they are 15th vs 35 for us.

Bigger picture....I just want to be in the tourney and don’t care if we are a 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 or 16th seed. Just want to hear our name called Sunday!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’d have UM seeded higher than us.
UM smoked us when we played them (granted, at UM) and their NET ranking is 24 vs our 60. The NET rankings certainly seem flawed but wether or not we like it that’s one of the NCAA’s tools. Kenpom has them 16th while we are 40th, Sagarin they are 15th vs 35 for us.

Bigger picture....I just want to be in the tourney and don’t care if we are a 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 or 16th seed. Just want to hear our name called Sunday!!!

Can very much agree with your wishes.  But anything but a nine or eight seed.  Those are impossible. One good thing about the loss to Wisconsin, is that it may be unlikely for IU to get a 9 seed.  Even though Decourcey, currently has us penciled in at number .

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I’d have UM seeded higher than us.

I think there's arguments to be made both ways for UM to be one line higher vs evenly seeded, but it's patently absurd for Lunardi to have IU five lower and on the bubble when we have an arguably better resume minus the head to head.

I'd love to hear someone challenge him on this and how he would respond to it.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think there's arguments to be made both ways for UM to be one line higher vs evenly seeded, but it's patently absurd for Lunardi to have IU five lower and on the bubble when we have an arguably better resume minus the head to head.

Lunardi has been so wrong for many years. He is definitely NOT,  the see all and be all.  In fact there were two guys that had an independent bracket site years ago, that absolutely crushed Lunaradi each and every year. They only came out in February and March.   Sadly, they shut their site down.  But they killed it every year they ran their site.

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

This is my last comment, because I really don’t care if UM or IU is seeded higher, but at the risk of sounding like a Lunardi apologist (which I’m not), the NET rankings, Kenpom and Sagarin all have UM 20-35 spots higher than us which equates to UM being seeded 5-7 lines above us. I’m not going into the weeds to find out why that is the case but those three ranking mechanisms pretty much line up with Oscar the Grouches prediction.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Can very much agree with your wishes.  But anything but a nine or eight seed.  Those are impossible. One good thing about the loss to Wisconsin, is that it may be unlikely for IU to get a 9 seed.  Even though Decourcey, currently has us penciled in at number .

I was pretty much just joking that at this point I want us to be in the tourney no matter the seed or location. That being said I agree that the dreaded 8/9 game is not an ideal draw.

34 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If we lose to a 7 win team without their 2 best players we shouldn't even be invited to play in the CBI.

I can't disagree with this.  Crazy things happen but when your season is on the line, you need to take care of business.

Is it confirmed the two won't play?  I've seen conflicting information...1-game vs indefinite suspension.

11 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Two or three times yesterday, during the WI game, Mark Adams doing color directly contradicted Lunardi without calling him out by name. He'd say "some people have IU on the bubble, I don't. I have them in, playing for seeding."

I personally wanted to smack those, “Badger” Color Commentators right between the eyes because it was OBVIOUS who they wanted to win from Tip.  I can’t stand to watch any game on tv where the color commentators are such one sided, ESPECIALLY in a game that mattered so much to my Hoosiers and my HATE for Wisconsin!  Pretty bad not to have a team IN that kicked your BADGER butts for 30 min.  Pretty bad to have a team OUT, that beat MSU, pissed away vs MD and went on an 8 min 0 fg run in the last 10 min vs Wisconsin!  Shoulda, Coulda and Woulda but to play the best this conf has to offer & suggest their O U T is beyond rediculous!

13 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

This is my last comment, because I really don’t care if UM or IU is seeded higher, but at the risk of sounding like a Lunardi apologist (which I’m not), the NET rankings, Kenpom and Sagarin all have UM 20-35 spots higher than us which equates to UM being seeded 5-7 lines above us. I’m not going into the weeds to find out why that is the case but those three ranking mechanisms pretty much line up with Oscar the Grouches prediction.

I guess, in a way, that's my point about Lunardi. His full time job is to delve into these things, and he pretty much just checks the NET and kenpom every day, then makes his picks.  

I just picked UM as a comparison point as their record is identical, wasn't really trying to argue where teams should be seeded.

Even kenpom has some big problems this year. 19-12 IU is at 40; meanwhile 19-12 UM is 16, 16-15 Purdue is 23, and 14-16 Minn is 29. The BTT one seed Wisconsin is rated 22 for reference.

Even taking out IU and my bias as a fan, I'm beginning to think all these advanced stats are utterly meaningless until they get the problems worked out. How do you determine quads with stats that are demonstrably unreliable?

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

This site has been closest to the actual tournament over the last 5 combined years - they have us as a 9 as of this morning. That feels right. 

I'm not saying I would pick us against any one or two, but man, those top seeds do not scare me. The IU team that played those last 4 games, if that's the team that show up, will be right there to make a game of it against any of them. 

For those who have been around a while, this to me, is the equivalent of Jim Mora’s “ diddly poo” rant. Coach Mora said he was trying to cut down on swearing so much to be a better example for his grandchildren, and was about to let it fly when “diddly poo” came out. Archie was probably thinking of watching Sesame Street with his kids ( at the moment, I can’t recall the exact age or ages of his kids, but i know he at least has a daughter)  Maybe Oscar the Grouch was the most benign thing he could think of in a moment when he was beginning to let his guard down about how he really felt. ESPN has had a bias for a long time. They push people like Lunardi to make it seem like they have a monopoly on sports. They don’t. They have always heavily favored the East; New York, Boston, and of course Dook and UNC. An East Coast bias is always apparent, not to mention a consistently growing political narrative, and some other things they do that I probably will keep to myself ( think, eye candy) . I “cut the cord” a few months back and got FUbo TV, saving $175 dollars and all I am missing is ESPN. Like saving the money, and listening to Fisch. Don’t miss them. Archie’s comment wasnt a big deal to me.

11 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I guess, in a way, that's my point about Lunardi. His full time job is to delve into these things, and he pretty much just checks the NET and kenpom every day, then makes his picks.  

I just picked UM as a comparison point as their record is identical, wasn't really trying to argue where teams should be seeded.

Even kenpom has some big problems this year. 19-12 IU is at 40; meanwhile 19-12 UM is 16, 16-15 Purdue is 23, and 14-16 Minn is 29. The BTT one seed Wisconsin is rated 22 for reference.

Even taking out IU and my bias as a fan, I'm beginning to think all these advanced stats are utterly meaningless until they get the problems worked out. How do you determine quads with stats that are demonstrably unreliable?

Actually that is not Lunardi's full time job because he works for the St. Joeseph's athletic department.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually that is not Lunardi's full time job because he works for the St. Joeseph's athletic department.

Yes and no...Joe is the Assistant Vice President of Marketing Communications.  Regardless, he is employed by St. Joe's.  A lot of people don't realize that.  That is why Joe "loved" Arch at Dayton...A-10 bias.

I am pretty sure on Thursday Lunardi said "All that Indiana and Purdue have really proven this year is an ability to lose regularly to good team." Then he went on to say how we were only surviving by a fraction. I get that CAM didn't have to say that he should go back to the trash can and stuff, but if I was a coach of a team and saw this I would be irritated too. Especially because we have beaten a lot of quality teams this season. Mix all that in with a close loss to a team that celebrated a share of the big ten championship on your home court, and I am not surprised by the press conference being tense when asked about bracketology.

1 minute ago, DireBump said:

I am pretty sure on Thursday Lunardi said "All that Indiana and Purdue have really proven this year is an ability to lose regularly to good team." Then he went on to say how we were only surviving by a fraction. I get that CAM didn't have to say that he should go back to the trash can and stuff, but if I was a coach of a team and saw this I would be irritated too. Especially because we have beaten a lot of quality teams this season. Mix all that in with a close loss to a team that celebrated a share of the big ten championship on your home court, and I am not surprised by the press conference being tense when asked about bracketology.

Seth Greenburg when he was at VA. Tech would go on ESPN every year and try to stick up for his team to get into the tournament.  What Archie said was nothing worse than what Greenburg use to do and Archie did not do it on national TV.

4 minutes ago, DireBump said:

Indiana is 5-4 against the AP top 25. Marquette, which Lunardi has as a 10 seed and not on the bubble, is 2-5. They are 8-10 in the BE and 18-12 overall. They just lost back to back games to DePaul and St Johns. Other AP top 25 records:

LVille 2-4, NC St 1-5, Kansas 4-3, WV  3-3, Tx Tech 2-6, OK 3-4, Vill 4-4, Seton Hall 4-5, Butler 1-5, IL 3-6, MI 4-6, USC 0-4, ASU, 2-4, AZ 1-4, Stanford 2-3, KY 4-2, Aub 2-1, LSU 0-3, MS St 0-3, FL 2-4, ranked BYU 1-2, Gonz 3-1, SD ST 0-0

Purdue is 5-6

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana is 5-4 against the AP top 25. Marquette, which Lunardi has as a 10 seed and not on the bubble, is 2-5. They are 8-10 in the BE and 18-12 overall. They just lost back to back games to DePaul and St Johns. Other AP top 25 records:

LVille 2-4, NC St 1-5, Kansas 4-3, WV  3-3, Tx Tech 2-6, OK 3-4, Vill 4-4, Seton Hall 4-5, Butler 1-5, IL 3-6, MI 4-6, USC 0-4, ASU, 2-4, AZ 1-4, Stanford 2-3, KY 4-2, Aub 2-1, LSU 0-3, MS St 0-3, FL 2-4, ranked BYU 1-2, Gonz 3-1, SD ST 0-0

Purdue is 5-6

This is how you bring Lunardi down.  Someone in the coaching fraternity or the media needs to have the balls to ask him directly to explain a discrepancy like the Marquette thing.

8 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Purdue is 5-6

I don’t post this as a Lunardi apologist, as I don’t give a rip about him one way or the other, but for some reason he is not the only one to have Marquette above us:

NET ranking Marquette 26th, IU 60

Kenpom Marquette 31st, IU 40th

Jerry Palm, however, has us close with Marquette as a 9 and us as a 10.

I haven’t looked into the details of why Lunardi has  us seeded where we are but he does not seem to be way out of bounds. I guess we all feel we deserve a lot more respect for finishing 9-11 and 11th in the conference (I’ll admit to a bit of sarcasm in that last statement). Let’s win Wednesday and take all doubt out in regards to hearing our name called Sunday.

Archived