Coaches that made poor career moves

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cybergates said:

Alford - Left NM for UCLA

Good one.  I followed NM fan boards, while Steve was there.  They loved him.  UCLA was a bad move, other than the money.  Even followed Steve when he was at Missouri State, knowing that many B-town people had really bad experiences with him when he was a player at IU.  It seemed he would go into B-town businesses , expecting not to have to pay for services or goods, simply because of who he was.  Have had several people share their stories with me, back in the day.

And then, there was Iowa.  Am a good friend of a mod of an Iowa board.  And he has shared with me numerous bad exchanges he had with Steve, when Alford was HC there.

Even UCLA fans wanted Steve gone.

Nevada fans welcomed Steve.  And for the moment are happy with him.

There is a reason why Steve never became a HC at IU.  It's the legacy he left behind in B-town and Iowa. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Bill Frieder from Michigan to ASU...

Interesting back story...

Frieder said he was frustrated with the direction of the program at the time. Charter flights had been cut, and he didn't feel as though the basketball program had the necessary support to sustain success. He had taken Michigan to four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, won back-to-back Big Ten regular-season titles and the team was 24-7 overall and 12-6 in Big Ten play heading into the postseason in 1989. Frieder had spurned Arizona State a couple years earlier, but was approached again in March.

"When Schembechler became the athletic director, he gave me no indication he would be behind basketball the way I needed him to be behind it," Frieder said. "Arizona State had been recruiting me and my wife and I looked at each other and said, 'Let's take a shot."

It was Tuesday morning and the team was departing for Atlanta the following day when the news broke that he had verbally agreed to take the Sun Devils job.

"I decided to be completely upfront and honest," Frieder said. "I didn't want to mislead my players, the community or the media. I told everyone I was going to Arizona State."

And with that, his tenure was over in Ann Arbor after nearly nine seasons in charge. Schembechler, who doubled as the athletic director and also football coach at the end of his affiliation with Michigan, left months later to become the president of the Detroit Tigers.

"If I'd have known he was going to leave, I'd still be at Michigan," Frieder said.

"If that was the worst thing to happen to me, I've had a tremendous life," he said. "I have no complaints and no regrets."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/former-michigan-coach-bill-frieder-recalls-missing-1989-title/

24 minutes ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Billy Gillespie Texas A&M to Kentucky

His weakness for fire water aided in his demise, but I bet he wishes he would have stayed.

Yes he should have stayed in Texas, but to be fair...UK damn well knew about his drinking/drinking and driving issues.

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Maybe it was a mistake...But how can you fault a guy for leaving the Golden Flashes.  Come on.  It's called ambition...right??

It is not leaving but when to  leave and what opportunities to take.  I just see some of these mid major coaches leaving for the first opportunity instead of the best opportunity.

2 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Wasn't he under investigation?

I think  CRMK may have helped move him along!!! If I remember CRMK was not very happy with  C FRIEDER and stormed by him post game. Bill may have felt better get out while he could😀

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is not leaving but when to  leave and what opportunities to take.  I just see some of these mid major coaches leaving for the first opportunity instead of the best opportunity.

Come on, Scott.  Do we really know these guys stories regarding opportunities much less best opportunity?  I'm going to doubt that we do.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Come on, Scott.  Do we really know these guys stories regarding opportunities much less best opportunity?  I'm going to doubt that we do.

I am just saying some of these guys just jump at a chance like DePaul which has been a career killer and I would think twice before taking a job like tat.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Good one.  I followed NM fan boards, while Steve was there.  They loved him.  UCLA was a bad move, other than the money.  Even followed Steve when he was at Missouri State, knowing that many B-town people had really bad experiences with him when he was a player at IU.  It seemed he would go into B-town businesses , expecting not to have to pay for services or goods, simply because of who he was.  Have had several people share their stories with me, back in the day.

And then, there was Iowa.  Am a good friend of a mod of an Iowa board.  And he has shared with me numerous bad exchanges he had with Steve, when Alford was HC there.

Even UCLA fans wanted Steve gone.

Nevada fans welcomed Steve.  And for the moment are happy with him.

There is a reason why Steve never became a HC at IU.  It's the legacy he left behind in B-town and Iowa. 

He is beyond hated in Iowa.  I don't know what term to use but if he was on fire on the side of the road, people would stop but not to help or piss on him but to celebrate that he is on fire.

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He is beyond hated in Iowa.  I don't know what term to use but if he was on fire on the side of the road, people would stop but not to help or piss on him but to celebrate that he is on fire.

Absolutely true. I lived in IA for about seven years. Had to stop telling people I was from Indiana. Got tired hearing the Alford rant. And it's not easy to get Iowans that angry about anyone.

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Absolutely true. I lived in IA for about seven years. Had to stop telling people I was from Indiana. Got tired hearing the Alford rant. And it's not easy to get Iowans that angry about anyone.

i know right.  It is so easy to derail any basketball conversation by telling them they never should have fired Alford

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i know right.  It is so easy to derail any basketball conversation by telling them they never should have fired Alford

Well technically, he wasn't fired. He jumped ship to NM before that happened.

Alford told his players he's looking forward to the chance to start fresh in Albuquerque.

"He wanted to get his family out of this negative environment," center Seth Gorney said.

When you're being run out of town, get out front and pretend you're leading a parade.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well technically, he wasn't fired. He jumped ship to NM before that happened.

Alford told his players he's looking forward to the chance to start fresh in Albuquerque.

"He wanted to get his family out of this negative environment," center Seth Gorney said.

When you're being run out of town, get out front and pretend you're leading a parade.

True, but he was on his way out after the PP debacle.  In my opinion he was going to be fired after that and he lost the players and the fans.  Plus he was just a grade A a$$hat while the coach of Iowa

Archived