Proof the NET is garbage

Side by side comparison of Dayton and Michigan’s opponents. Please tell me why Dayton’s NET SOS is #27 and Michigans is #50. Utterly ridiculous and I hope the committee is aware of how stupid this is.

After some further reading, it’s been posited that NET SOS likely relies heavily on opponent win percentage, which is bad because there are plenty of low quality teams with high win percentages and high quality teams with lower win percentages.

8E6CDE7A-E32C-42E1-8030-605B6DBE9326.jpeg

1 hour ago, madmax said:

Side by side comparison of Dayton and Michigan’s opponents. Please tell me why Dayton’s NET SOS is #27 and Michigans is #50. Utterly ridiculous and I hope the committee is aware of how stupid this is.

After some further reading, it’s been posited that NET SOS likely relies heavily on opponent win percentage, which is bad because there are plenty of low quality teams with high win percentages and high quality teams with lower win percentages.

Common opponent doesn't help. They both managed to get past 4-25 Houston Baptist at home.

1 hour ago, madmax said:

That is a pretty definitive take down of that nonsense. 

Not sure that it's related, but it always strikes me as very odd that the top teams, record wise, in a conference seem to almost always have the highest SOS. Seems like the fact that Maryland doesn't have to play Maryland and Nebraska does would tilt that the other way. It's very pronounced in football rankings. 

Archived