How are gas prices doing where you live ?

milehiiu

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Mrs. mile was running low on gas in her Subaru. So she decided to fill up, yesterday.  Not using her grocery points. Which she normally uses at the end of the month. Reported back to me.  I asked her the price per gallon. Mrs. mile said.... "I did not even pay attention to the price....however, I paid $14.00 to fill the car up."

-------------------------

In other mile household news, during this pandemic.  The local Honda dealer that  has started a pick up and drop off service.... dropped off my Honda mower after it's annual Spring tuneup today.  And when I offered to tip the driver.... he refused.  How great is that ?

Great is right...

I used my Kroger points today on my wife's Tacoma...the needle was halfway between 1/4 and E. Cost me $16.99 to fill it (21.1 gallon capacity)...

IMG_20200514_162337.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's gotta be in LA and the last gas station before the rental return at LAX...

Actually, I figured if the media can pass of a crowded beach from prior to Corona as now and an Italian hospital for one in New York, I figured it was time I got into the 'fake news' business.  

I always find the fixation on gas prices interesting — I’m including myself. 
I tend to look at the per gallon price as well, my cars are about as far from fuel efficient as you can get.

But the differences in gas prices usually make almost no real difference. I mean even a .20 or .30 difference etc means what? So for example you fill a 20 gallon tank at $1.90 instead of $2.20 a gallon, a full .30 difference, total difference in price $5.80, and that’s on a .30 difference per gallon. 

People often make gas station choices on a difference of a few cents per gallon, which is basically nothing. Sure you drive a pickup truck or suv that has a larger tank and the swing is a bit more but we’re not talking a .30 difference usually, even a .10 cent swing has almost no actual impact on your wallet — it’s more psychological than anything that really affects you 

and this is especially true now when most people are doing a lot less driving. It’s interesting how we’ve been cultured as a society to fixate on gas prices, when it’s the cost of other things that really impact us — student loans, housing, medical care etc 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I tend to look at the per gallon price as well, my cars are about as far from fuel efficient as you can get.

But the differences in gas prices usually make almost no real difference. I mean even a .20 or .30 difference etc means what? So for example you fill a 20 gallon tank at $1.90 instead of $2.20 a gallon, a full .30 difference, total difference in price $5.80, and that’s on a .30 difference per gallon. 

People often make gas station choices on a difference of a few cents per gallon, which is basically nothing. Sure you drive a pickup truck or suv that has a larger tank and the swing is a bit more but we’re not talking a .30 difference usually, even a .10 cent swing has almost no actual impact on your wallet — it’s more psychological than anything that really affects you 

and this is especially true now when most people are doing a lot less driving. It’s interesting how we’ve been cultured as a society to fixate on gas prices, when it’s the cost of other things that really impact us — student loans, housing, medical care etc 

Good point. I had a friend tell me his "success coach" said to ignore gas prices. If you are busy, there are more important things to be worrying about than going out of the way to save $1.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think much of it is a generational thing...

My father and mother were both raised during The Great Depression. My father was dirt poor (Mom's family was middle class) and his favorite saying of Ben Franklin's was, "Watch the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves."

Didn't believe in debt or credit cards. To my knowledge the only thing he ever had a loan on was our house.

My wife's parents were from the same era. We both calculate prices, and if we can save a few pennies, we do. We're not as bad as we use to be, but our financial situation is much better...

Hard to go against what you were conditioned for early in life. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My father and mother were both raised during The Great Depression. My father was dirt poor (Mom's family was middle class) and his favorite saying of Ben Franklin's was, "Watch the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves."

Another one from Ben :  " A penny saved is a penny earned."

My parents were much like yours. Never had a credit card.  My mother said, if we did not have the money to buy something..... then we did not need it.  They too lived through the depression. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Didn't believe in debt or credit cards. To my knowledge the only thing he ever had a loan on was our house.

My wife's parents were from the same era. We both calculate prices, and if we can save a few pennies, we do. We're not as bad as we use to be, but our financial situation is much better...

Hard to go against what you were conditioned for early in life. 

One of my favorite sayings is that everything boils down to some combination of time, energy, and money. People that are short in area will leverage the others. Retirees have unlimited time and finite $ so they are more willing to go go out of their way  (use some time and energy) to save 10 cents a pound on bananas (my dad) vs a two income household with kids (short on time and energy) that are more than willing to pay someone to change the oil on the car or mow their grass to preserve some time and energy- or be able to use that time somewher more productive (surfing HSN, for example).  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived