Special Hoosier Memory Tonight

I took my boys to the Pacers game tonight. Before the game we saw the IU bus in a parking lot so I asked the driver where the team was staying. He told me and my 9 year old boys immediately started campaigning for me to take them there after the game to try and see a few players. I said we’d see but probably not since it would be late. The game ends at 9:30 and we’re heading home and I think, what the heck, you only live once, so I parked near the hotel and we walked in the lobby and the boys were pumped. We found the conference rooms and I could hear Archie on the other side of the doors talking with the team. The managers and Garl were in the hall waiting around. I figured they’d be in there a while so we started to leave and my boys begged me to stay just 10 more minutes. Of course, I caved, and 10 minutes turned into 30. Eventually Brunk and DeRon came out. Then the rest of the team trickled out a few at a time. One of my boys knows every player by name, including walk ons, and said good luck to each as he called them by name. Every one of them was very responsive and engaging. Especially Devonte, he jumped right in to take a picture and was very nice. It was cool to see how appreciative they all were that a couple of young Hoosier fans (and one older one) would hang around just to catch a glimpse. It also warmed my heart that my boys wanted so badly to do it. 

There have been times over the last 20 years when I’ve been genuinely concerned about the next generation of Hoosier fans and whether they’ll be as passionate about it as we are. But tonight I realized, as long as people like us on this board are passing the torch and teaching them well, we’ll be just fine. :) Just wanted to share. 

1FFA8B3E-CF82-417E-8E4B-8E12C9FD49F8.jpeg

F608E552-A5CD-453C-944E-975835F70B0E.jpeg

3E924847-BCF9-4328-B191-8E516DB193CA.jpeg

I am so happy for you.  And your family. 

I have a completely different story to tell about when IU played in the NCAAT in Denver, when Coach Knight was the coach. My son and I stood outside of the IU bus, after the team practiced at the old McNichols stadium.  We had our IU gear on. Only one player acknowledged us as they got on the bus.  And Coach Knight deliberately ignored us. 

Awesome! Some people who are famous don't realize that 1 minute of kindness can be a lifetime memory...glad our kids do...

And a couple of good looking boys!

Make em shooters, we always need those...

Expect to see them in the candy stripes some day!

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Awesome! Some people who are famous don't realize that 1 minute of kindness can be a lifetime memory...glad our kids do...

And a couple of good looking boys!

Make em shooters, we always need those...

Expect to see them in the candy stripes some day!

Yes. A lifetime memory.  With pictures too. 

Look at those happy faces!  😀😀

This deserves to go national.  Post on FB or Twitter somehow? 

It would only take a couple of key people for it to take off.

Stories like this make the world a better place.

PS:  I'm clicking "like" for every comment on this thread.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am so happy for you.  And your family. 

I have a completely different story to tell about when IU played in the NCAAT in Denver, when Coach Knight was the coach. My son and I stood outside of the IU bus, after the team practiced at the old McNichols stadium.  We had our IU gear on. Only one player acknowledged us as they got on the bus.  And Coach Knight deliberately ignored us. 

Mile, that’s so disappointing to hear. I would have been devastated for my boys if we’d had the same experience. I was thrilled with how nice everyone was and even Archie gave my boys a “What’s up fellas”.  

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Look at those happy faces!  😀😀

This deserves to go national.  Post on FB or Twitter somehow? 

It would only take a couple of key people for it to take off.

Stories like this make the world a better place.

PS:  I'm clicking "like" for every comment on this thread.

😁 Thanks Madison and yes, I had two very happy boys (and one very happy dad)!

12 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Mile, that’s so disappointing to hear. I would have been devastated for my boys if we’d had the same experience. I was thrilled with how nice everyone was and even Archie gave my boys a “What’s up fellas”.  

Only reason I posted about Coach Knight is just like you, it was/is a lifetime memory.  You have a positive memory that you and your boys will take with them their entire lives. 

I also have a special memory of De'Ron.  His last high school game at Overland, he came out of the locker room, still in uniform and sweating, to say hi to me, and take a picture with him and my wife. 

3 hours ago, RJPaisley said:

Have to admit, I teared up a bit reading your story. I love that you are bringing up your younguns  to be such huge Hoosier fans. Kudos to the players for taking the time to make this memory for Hoosier fans. 

I hear ya...I'm a softie for kids/good dad's/sports stories...

I have 3 girls (all grown now)...the last one (10 years after the 1st 2) was because, in my wife's words, "you'll never be happy unless you have a son." Plans...

So she became my sports buddie. Dragged her to Cub games, Bears games, and the annual trip to Evanston whenever the Hoosiers played in Welsh-Ryan. She's graduating from grad school at Texas St in May, but she still wears cream and crimson on occasion...

Cool story. I guarantee they will never forget it. Been about 25 yrs now but remember the first time meeting RMK with my dad. Showed up to his basketball camp, was greeted and got some stuff autographed.  Was a positive experience for me but probably because my dad just paid him the camp dues. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm assuming you guys are on spring break too....otherwise a double kudos to your wife for letting the boys stay out late on a school night!!

That’s the best part, it WAS a school night but we went for it anyway, which is a big part of why they thought it was so cool. And I do have an amazing wife 😁

Archived