Archie will be coaching for his job tonight

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know the rules and applaud those who run/pay/moderate this site but it does seem we've had a pretty significant increase in threads that I just don't think belong in this community. Not saying it has to be all rainbow and unicorns but debate/constructive concern/criticisms/praise/optimism all have their place but don't see the need to have threads constantly lamenting the status of our coach. Getting old. 

Fair point. Here is my thought process on these (never gonna be perfect).

This is a clear "stir the pot" thread. But reading it, our members give it no credence and were having fun lambasting it. It is being self policed, in a good way, by our community.

When it becomes ongoing, gets nasty, nonstop spamming, we pull the plug.

We have banned more members in the last 6 weeks than we had in the previous 6 months combined. So we certainly do not want our forum hijacked.

This case? It is close. But I like the community to handle these if possible before chopping heads.

In this case, most of us saw it for what it is. Didn't take the bait, and just mocked it appropriately.  :)

we do discuss and monitor as a moderating team. It is never perfect. But those that truly hurt our forum and culture get taken out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can any of our mods lock or delete this thread? Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion, but this type of post portrays our fanbase negatively and out of touch. This makes the IU job and playing for IU less attractive. There will be a time Archie will be evaluated for his entire body of work, but definitely not tonight even if our team loses today and may head to the NIT again. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Can any of our mods lock or delete this thread? Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion, but this type of post portrays our fanbase negatively and out of touch. This makes the IU job and playing for IU less attractive. There will be a time Archie will be evaluated for his entire body of work, but definitely not tonight even if our team loses today and may head to the NIT again. 

This thread reflets Well IMO. An original post by one person that looks bad. Followed by 3 pages of ridicule and mocking the notion. If anything, it shows where 95% of us really stand, or at least how we perceive the situation. 

Again, it is a fine line. But our members have simply had fun with the nonsense, which I think is a good look.

My first post in this thread. As at first I pledged not to feed the troll. However, I must say.  We have a GREAT host of moderators.  Extremely tolerant. And reluctant to pull the plug.  I don't know why it is. But Blue is correct.  We seem to have been infected in the recent past with  virus of trolls.  As always. I trust they will do what is best for this great forum.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My first post in this thread. As at first I pledged not to feed the troll. However, I must say.  We have a GREAT host of moderators.  Extremely tolerant. And reluctant to pull the plug.  I don't know why it is. But Blue is correct.  We seem to have been infected in the recent past with  virus of trolls.  As always. I trust they will do what is best for this great forum.

I think it is more people leaving rivals and coming here expecting to be able to post in the same manner as they are accustomed to over there.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is more people leaving rivals and coming here expecting to be able to post in the same manner as they are accustomed to over there.

Fair enough.  And IMHO. They are welcome here. However have to understand the culture that CC and others have established here.

Any reason as to why they are leaving Rivals ? 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Fair enough.  And IMHO. They are welcome here. However have to understand the culture that CC and others have established here.

Any reason as to why they are leaving Rivals ? 

Probably the same reason I left and that is that they have 5 or 6 posters who took that site over and has ruined it by the way the post.  Every post ends up with  these 4 arguing with the other posters that  don't agree that Archie should be fired.  They have this one guy who probably has been banned 15-20 times but keeps coming back under a new user name and they can't get him off of their.  Also the mods are never there or they just don't care how the board is ran.

Blue and Mile said it best. We don't like banning people. Even though this is free for you, we consider you customers. Not good to ban customers! 

A forum's function is to discuss things and we try to let the discussions go unless someone abuses the system. You, our members, took care of this person without our intervention. You did it in a civil and witty way and I am Impressed!!! We can't always be here so thank you all for stepping up.

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

He may not be coaching for his job, but his next 8 months won't be fun if he loses this game. 

I agree with you but only if the loss means we miss the tourney.

If we lose tonight the board will have a partial melt-down but the loss will quickly be forgotten, by the vast majority of fans, if we still go to the tourney.

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

If we lose tonight the board will have a partial melt-down but the loss will quickly be forgotten, by the vast majority of fans, if we still go to the tourney.

No, it won't. Archie Miller has racked up some ugly, embarrassing losses in his time at IU, and this would most definitely add to the list. People haven't forgotten the blowouts to ISU and IPFW, losing at Illinois when they were 0-9 in conference, losing to Rutgers in the BTT when they were the 14 seed...the list goes on, and would include this game, should we lose it. 

This fanbase doesn't forget bad losses. People haven't forgotten that Texas Pan-American beat us in 1980, for crying out loud. 

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

We lose tonight and there is a very good chance we miss the tourney.  19-13 is a hard sell most years after all the conference tournaments are over.  That does not even factor in that losing to Nebraska is a very bad loss.

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

Blue and Mile said it best. We don't like banning people. Even though this is free for you, we consider you customers. Not good to ban customers! 

A forum's function is to discuss things and we try to let the discussions go unless someone abuses the system. You, our members, took care of this person without our intervention. You did it in a civil and witty way and I am Impressed!!! We can't always be here so thank you all for stepping up.

Well said CC.  You feed a troll by ridicule in a tasteful manner.  Works more often than not.  

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

CC.  I hope you don't mind my sharing with our members.  For the longest time, YOU carried the burden of monetarily supporting our initial version of Hoosier Sports Nation. I have recently expressed the fact that the fantastic growth of HSN 0.1 is what caused not one, but two other sites to request that we merge with them. I shared one of the reasons why we chose 247 to merge with was their ability to supply content, which we were incapable of doing.  Part two reason, was they would be paying the bill.

Still remember the day of the conference call with the then owner of 247 when we firmed up the details. After, I believe you actually visited their headquarters.  Nick (Natural Hoosier, who recently has rejoined us) was a late comer to the conference call.  But he was part of the call as well.

Then when 247 decided not to renew their contract  you.  It was not a good time for you.  Having recently lost your job, as I recall. Thanks to Hoosier Faithful for generating HSN 3.0, and helping to pay the bill, while you searched for a job.  First job did not work out for you. Happy day, when you got another.  You and HF in Arizona. 

You and I have gone through a lot over the years. Tough time when you lost not one , but two close family members all within a week. Not that long ago.

I just want to thank you for all of your support for me through the years.  And want to let members know, that the culture they enjoy on this site is primarily because of you. And the moderators you have chosen to help you keep this site civil.  You've always made wise decisions.

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Is that the game with point shaving going on?

Could not find anything on that.  However, there have been several point shaving scandals in college basketball over the years. Here are some, along with other more recent college basketball scandals :

Ranking the 10 Most Shocking Scandals in College Basketball History 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Our moderators are probably the smartest I have come across anywhere.  I do not mean for just IU material, I mean anywhere I have visited.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Could not find anything on that.  However, there have been several point shaving scandals in college basketball over the years. Here are some, along with other more recent college basketball scandals :

Ranking the 10 Most Shocking Scandals in College Basketball History 

Mile my friend my comment was me being a smart+++ in reference to us playing the Indiana Barber (Shaving) Academy. Lol

3 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile my friend my comment was me being a smart+++ in reference to us playing the Indiana Barber (Shaving) Academy. Lol

Oh. I knew that.  But being an old codger, it brought up other memories.  You probably remember Derrick Rose's SAT scam. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

No, it won't. Archie Miller has racked up some ugly, embarrassing losses in his time at IU, and this would most definitely add to the list. People haven't forgotten the blowouts to ISU and IPFW, losing at Illinois when they were 0-9 in conference, losing to Rutgers in the BTT when they were the 14 seed...the list goes on, and would include this game, should we lose it. 

This fanbase doesn't forget bad losses. People haven't forgotten that Texas Pan-American beat us in 1980, for crying out loud. 

I disagree.
The post was in the context of Archie’s seat getting hotter. If we lose but still get in the tourney I don’t think his seat will get hotter. Now if we lose and don’t make the tourney, and I think we might miss the tourney if we lose, then I think his seat will get hotter. Not saying he would get fired but the pressure  will increase.

Archived