Penn St pre game thread

I can't believe they are proceeding. One would think watching Fred go down last night mid game that they dodged a bullet. Now they are going to go ahead and play games. So we are ok putting these non-paid athletes at risk but once they start making money they are protected? Who is looking out for the players? They don't have a union...will they get their scholarship revoked if they refuse to play? NCAA should at the minimum suspend things. Funny how the other college sports are getting suspended but the money maker....we must go on!

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can't believe they are proceeding. One would think watching Fred go down last night mid game that they dodged a bullet. Now they are going to go ahead and play games. So we are ok putting these non-paid athletes at risk but once they start making money they are protected? Who is looking out for the players? They don't have a union...will they get their scholarship revoked if they refuse to play? NCAA should at the minimum suspend things. Funny how the other college sports are getting suspended but the money maker....we must go on!

I’m also surprised. As you noted the paid players (ie I mean NBA, not the Kansas, LSU etc players) aren’t playing but beyond that the universities have determined that students should not go to class.
OK....universities don’t want to risk our kids in class together but are ok with the basketball players flying to locations around the country and competing? Aside from the potential health risks I just don’t think the optics will allow the tourney to continue.

16 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’m also surprised. As you noted the paid players (ie I mean NBA, not the Kansas, LSU etc players) aren’t playing but beyond that the universities have determined that students should not go to class.
OK....universities don’t want to risk our kids in class together but are ok with the basketball players flying to locations around the country and competing? Aside from the potential health risks I just don’t think the optics will allow the tourney to continue.

Heard several times on tv  on different networks, that for the college games, there are tv obligations that have to be considered before games get cancelled

Question:  Does anyone think the NBA decision would have been different if the timing coincided with their championship tournament/playoffs?  That's what is different about these college games... its is the end of the season and the biggest media asset.  Not true for the NBA at this moment.    

At this point, you have to imagine the games would already have been canceled if they were going to be. First game tips in 45 minutes meaning players/staff are at the arena and have been for some time. I think If they were gonna cancel today’s games it probably would’ve already happened.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Heard several times on tv  on different networks, that for the college games, there are tv obligations that have to be considered before games get cancelled

That’s actually part of my point. The optics will be that tv and NCAA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are more important than the athletes. Unless things dramatically change in the next few days my money is on the tourney being cancelled.

Archived