Big Ten Tournament Cancelled

KDB

41 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I imagine they're in mourning over at Rupp Rafters.  It's sad but their entire life literally revolves around the next few weeks. 

Nah.  They have that whole 'date' your cousin thing to fall back on when they have to stay home.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I imagine they're in mourning over at Rupp Rafters.  It's sad but their entire life literally revolves around the next few weeks. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nah.  They have that whole 'date' your cousin thing to fall back on when they have to stay home.

They'll stay busy picketing their local Kroger:

image.jpeg.3c57dd37ad167730c68202c6a0b21ec8.jpeg

I'm not going to quote or single out any one poster, but the people complaining about overreacting or the media causing panic really need to read about what is happening in Italy right now. This is incredibly serious and the US is doing a very poor job so far. This isn't political, it's fact.

I'm all for personal liberty, but we have (hopefully not had) a chance to be like S. Korea/China or like Italy/Iran. So far, our response is much more Italy/Iran. We can only hope that the outcome is not the same. Italy is literally having to decide who lives and dies, b/c they don't have enough beds or ventilators. Iran is creating mass graves to bury the dead.

China and S. Korea were aggressive with both testing and social isolation, their death rates are much lower and the virus is starting to wane. We are not testing and only starting to cancel things and think of isolation. We are weeks and months behind.

I'm not paying attention to any television news or politicians from either side - it's mostly trash and too political. This is not a time to score political points. I'm listening to scientists who I work with and national experts. I won't tell you the hospital, but I work at a School of Medicine here in NYC. Shit is about to get REALLY real. Mark your calendars for the last 7-10 days in March into the first two week of April and then at that point let me know if you think we shouldn't have canceled these events.

I really hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to pretty significant disruption in our daily lives and not an insignificant number of deaths, especially for those over 60.

I grew up in a small town in Indiana, but NYC has been my home for some time now. Times like this though, I wish I was back in Southern Indiana! Indiana will have cases, but hopefully not like we will see in the big cities.

Stay safe everyone.

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm not going to quote or single out any one poster, but the people complaining about overreacting or the media causing panic really need to read about what is happening in Italy right now. This is incredibly serious and the US is doing a very poor job so far. This isn't political, it's fact.

I'm all for personal liberty, but we have (hopefully not had) a chance to be like S. Korea/China or like Italy/Iran. So far, our response is much more Italy/Iran. We can only hope that the outcome is not the same. Italy is literally having to decide who lives and dies, b/c they don't have enough beds or ventilators. Iran is creating mass graves to bury the dead.

China and S. Korea were aggressive with both testing and social isolation, their death rates are much lower and the virus is starting to wane. We are not testing and only starting to cancel things and think of isolation. We are weeks and months behind.

I'm not paying attention to any television news or politicians from either side - it's mostly trash and too political. This is not a time to score political points. I'm listening to scientists who I work with and national experts. I won't tell you the hospital, but I work at a School of Medicine here in NYC. Shit is about to get REALLY real. Mark your calendars for the last 7-10 days in March into the first two week of April and then at that point let me know if you think we shouldn't have canceled these events.

I really hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to pretty significant disruption in our daily lives and not an insignificant number of deaths, especially for those over 60.

I grew up in a small town in Indiana, but NYC has been my home for some time now. Times like this though, I wish I was back in Southern Indiana! Indiana will have cases, but hopefully not like we will see in the big cities.

Stay safe everyone.

I do not disagree. But it is worth nothing there are 2 different strains of this virus. Italy has been hit hard by the more deadly strain. As of today, knock on wood, there have been zero cases of that particular strain in the US.

This should not diminish being vigilante. But it is worth noting.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

They knew about this in Jan.

True but the spread within the US population started on February 21st first death on the 29th. 

regardless comparing a years worth of data to something that regardless of the number has just gotten started. 

H1N1 killed in total 178 people in Italy back in 2009-2010.  This has already killed a 1000 in Italy. 

Even with the extreme measures we have taken this is likely to kill more the. H1N1 shortly. 

57 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I do not disagree. But it is worth nothing there are 2 different strains of this virus. Italy has been hit hard by the more deadly strain. As of today, knock on wood, there have been zero cases of that particular strain in the US.

This should not diminish bring vigilante. But it is worth noting.

True, there does seem to be two strains, and it is worth noting, especially as the virus can mutate. I don't want either one of them in my house though!

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Stay safe everyone.

I live 10 minutes from the Jersey coronavirus hot spot (Bergen County) and the only NJ fatality so far. First case was discovered in the hospital 2 miles from my house. People are freaking out here and ready to go weeks at home. Grocery stores were completely wiped out today. I'm a teacher and suspect tomorrow will be last day at school for a least a couple weeks. Weird time in NJ! 

5 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

I live 10 minutes from the Jersey coronavirus hot spot (Bergen County) and the only NJ fatality so far. First case was discovered in the hospital 2 miles from my house. People are freaking out here and ready to go weeks at home. Grocery stores were completely wiped out today. I'm a teacher and suspect tomorrow will be last day at school for a least a couple weeks. Weird time in NJ! 

I work in Manhattan and tried to go to both Trader Joes and Fairway by my work. Nope, lines out the door in both places. Here in Brooklyn, our local grocery store had lines to the back of the store. I went and got some bread at the bakery and a bunch of wine on the way home. Just in case! 😁

I think yesterday was our last day commuting into work as well. Can't imagine how you teachers are dealing with this. We are not freaking out personally, but realize the potential of how bad this will be in large population centers.

Just in NYC alone, these are the number of cases reported in last week or so - with crazy minimal testing.

3/7 - 11

3/8 - 12

3/9 - 19

3/10 -36

3/11 -52

3/12 - 95

When you do the math and introduce more testing, these numbers will not look great in another week or two if we keep up business as usual in a city of 8.6 million people. At least they are starting to shut down things here though. Just today, the Met, Lincoln Center, Broadway, and lots of other venues are temporarily closing.

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I work in Manhattan and tried to go to both Trader Joes and Fairway by my work. Nope, lines out the door in both places. Here in Brooklyn, our local grocery store had lines to the back of the store. I went and got some bread at the bakery and a bunch of wine on the way home. Just in case! 😁

I think yesterday was our last day commuting into work as well. Can't imagine how you teachers are dealing with this. We are not freaking out personally, but realize the potential of how bad this will be in large population centers.

Just in NYC alone, these are the number of cases reported in last week or so - with crazy minimal testing.

3/7 - 11

3/8 - 12

3/9 - 19

3/10 -36

3/11 -52

3/12 - 95

When you do the math and introduce more testing, these numbers will not look great in another week or two if we keep up business as usual in a city of 8.6 million people. At least they are starting to shut down things here though. Just today, the Met, Lincoln Center, Broadway, and lots of other venues are temporarily closing.

Crazy stuff. Good luck and stay healthy!

6 hours ago, Hoosier0908! said:

That is wrong. It depends on reaction, the nation, etc. The range is ~.6% in South Korea and as much as 6.5% in Italy. the AVERAGE of all of those by the W.H.O. is 3.4%. That also spans age groups. CDC released information broken down by age. 0-40: 0.2% mortality, 80+: 14.3% mortality.

South Korea did survey testing which included mildly symptomatic patients whereas Italy has not.  And there is another cohort of people who will have no symptoms at all.  You will not get a true death rate until they do large seroconversion studies months from now after this is over.  

If you believe the current death rate of 3.4% then you'll also have to believe only 150,000 people have had the virus (based off current total deaths of just under 5k).  This is a ridiculous assumption.  There is no doubt in my mind China has millions of undiagnosed cases alone.  

On 3/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

They'll stay busy picketing their local Kroger:

image.jpeg.3c57dd37ad167730c68202c6a0b21ec8.jpeg

IMG_3787.thumb.jpg.4abad3d4e23859b366f444585462e36b.jpg

I heard John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19 last weekend. He had chills, they were multiplying and he was losing control, but doctors now confirm it was only a Saturday night fever.  They assure everyone he is staying alive.  So there's that.

Archived