The NCAAT men's and women's tournament....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, madmax said:

My heart thinks seniors being given a chance to come back is great, but my head says no way, it creates way too many problems. Not to mention I think there are a lot of seniors who would want to move on to get a start on life/making money playing basketball. It also can create some really awkward situations for coaches, which doesn’t matter really, but still. 

I agree.  Plus you might have one team with 5 seniors and another with zero.  Are those 5 additional scholarships for next year?  If not are you kicking recruits or current players/recruits off?  It's a nice sentiment but it would be a nightmare to try to make it fair across teams. 

9 minutes ago, Chase6 said:

Just to be clear, are you unable to distinguish between a player suffering a torn ACL and a global pandemic??

Of course  not, but in the grand scheme of life, both are events beyond the player's control.  Why on earth would you say bring these seniors back and not the senior with the torn ACL?  How is that fair?

Count me as an emphatic no.  Things happen...injuries happen...9/11 happened and Corona virus happened.  If you've played the entire regular season, then no, you don't get an extra season.  I can't even believe this is being considered...it would open up a giant can of worms.  Do you let affected schools have extra scholarships? (unfair to their competitors)  Do you make them pull a scholarship from another player? (unfair to that player)

Life isn't fair...sucks for IU's seniors, but that's life.

Just no...terrible idea.

10 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Putting public health aside for a moment. 

Kansas was the clear #1 and favorite to win the title.  After all the issues with their program over the last year with absolutely 0 consequence, part of me is laughing with irony.  If they would have won it all I would have been even more furious with the NCAA.  I see this as a sort of sweet karma, at least from this perspective.  

Kansas has only won 3 championships since 1952.  Talk about dusty banners, those douchebags haven't won one since '08.

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My sense is it changed when Goebert got it and spread it to Mitchell.  Healthy young guys.  In other words, player to player transmission changed the calculation and the analysis.  It’s not like it’s a hypothetical, academic scenario.  There’s concrete precedent.  

The olympics are probably next to go down.  

Everything only seems to be closing until warm weather ...I think the olympics will endure 

50 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I hope the media is happy... you watch the news and they make you think if you come in contact with it you are dead... flu kills 60,000+ people last year yet we didn’t have to cancel anything.. this is just ridiculous 

I’m not clear about the ramifications of the virus but am certainly jealous of your grasp of the situation. Haven’t run across media saying that contact results in death but perhaps I wasn’t paying attention when those stories were run. 

4 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Some coaches are starting to talk about giving seniors another year. 

Every senior should absolutely be given the option to come back for a fifth year if they want to.  Players get five years of eligibility for all types of reasons, why not this?  Just a freak situation.

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Every senior should absolutely be given the option to come back for a fifth year if they want to.  Players get five years of eligibility for all types of reasons, why not this?  Just a freak situation.

But they generally don’t get a fifth year if they play the entire season and only miss the tournament.

It just opens so many cans of worms. Who all is eligible? Seniors of teams who weren’t even going to be eligible? Or just tournament teams? Can seniors transfer for their final season? Etc. Again, I get the sentiment, and I want to agree with it, I just don’t think it’s really plausible.

8 hours ago, madmax said:

But they generally don’t get a fifth year if they play the entire season and only miss the tournament.

It just opens so many cans of worms. Who all is eligible? Seniors of teams who weren’t even going to be eligible? Or just tournament teams? Can seniors transfer for their final season? Etc. Again, I get the sentiment, and I want to agree with it, I just don’t think it’s really plausible.

Yep, just give eligibility to every senior regardless of if they were going to make the tournament or not.  Why is that opening a can of worms?  This has been an absolutely extraordinary situation, so I don’t see the harm in offering an extraordinary remedy.  In regard to transferring, the NCAA is about to do away with the transfer rules anyway, so that’s not an issue.  As far as what individual schools would do with their scholarships, that would be up to them.  The seniors could come back or transfer elsewhere if there wasn’t room.  Kids get five years of eligibility all the time for all sorts of reasons.  I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work.

What happens to the kid that comes in thinking he will have playing time to only have a senior come back? Yeah...no that would be a disaster. What if a senior has graduated and now can enter the grad transfer portal?? So many issues with it. I am fully for postponing the games and waiting and seeing. Perhaps by the end of April or May maybe play the tournament...not sure if that can work calender wise but otherwise...these kids got to participate....time to move on..bigger injustices in the world then not playing in a tournament.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, just give eligibility to every senior regardless of if they were going to make the tournament or not.  Why is that opening a can of worms?  This has been an absolutely extraordinary situation, so I don’t see the harm in offering an extraordinary remedy.  In regard to transferring, the NCAA is about to do away with the transfer rules anyway, so that’s not an issue.  As far as what individual schools would do with their scholarships, that would be up to them.  The seniors could come back or transfer elsewhere if there wasn’t room.  Kids get five years of eligibility all the time for all sorts of reasons.  I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work.

Because if a team has 13 scholarships and if you  let the seniors come back then some people would have to leave or freshman not allowed in.

I guess this is tournament related so I'll post here.Would love to know numbers/economic impact (legal and otherwise) of no sports betting. Pools, brackets, and legal betting,etc....

On a side note. Illinois finally gets around to opening their books this past week for legal bets and poof. No sports. One of the most Illinois things ever. 

I do feel sorry for the seniors and  I do with the ones that get injured during their senior year but if you play over so many games you don't get another year.  So why should this be any different because you played all of you games in your senior year then why should you get another year just because you missed the tournament.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I guess this is tournament related so I'll post here.Would love to know numbers/economic impact (legal and otherwise) of no sports betting. Pools, brackets, and legal betting,etc....

On a side note. Illinois finally gets around to opening their books this past week for legal bets and poof. No sports. One of the most Illinois things ever. 

Hear on the radio that with Indianapolis losing the regionals it will cost Indy 80 Million

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hear on the radio that with Indianapolis losing the regionals it will cost Indy 80 Million

Couple buddies own bars downtown Indy. Their still trying to see what type of big hit this costs them...but as they said more importantly to their staffs. Waiters, bartenders, servers, valets....all the forgotten jobs that count on huge weekends like this one and in two weeks. All that $ gone. 

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What happens to the kid that comes in thinking he will have playing time to only have a senior come back? Yeah...no that would be a disaster. What if a senior has graduated and now can enter the grad transfer portal?? So many issues with it. I am fully for postponing the games and waiting and seeing. Perhaps by the end of April or May maybe play the tournament...not sure if that can work calender wise but otherwise...these kids got to participate....time to move on..bigger injustices in the world then not playing in a tournament.

Agree. I like the idea of the senior extra year of eligibility thing, but it's just not feasible. What if you're a sophomore who has been sitting behind a senior for two seasons waiting for your turn at increased playing time, with the idea you'd have two years to start, but now that guy is coming back unexpectedly. Is that guy granted an extra year? Is everyone then granted a 5th year to play? 

The impact is greater than just the seniors. Every player on a tournament teams roster just lost a year of playing in the tournament, not just the seniors. It stinks all the way around, but I just don't see letting seniors come back as being feasible. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I like the idea of the senior extra year of eligibility thing, but it's just not feasible. What if you're a sophomore who has been sitting behind a senior for two seasons waiting for your turn at increased playing time, with the idea you'd have two years to start, but now that guy is coming back unexpectedly. Is that guy granted an extra year? Is everyone then granted a 5th year to play? 

The impact is greater than just the seniors. Every player on a tournament teams roster just lost a year of playing in the tournament, not just the seniors. It stinks all the way around, but I just don't see letting seniors come back as being feasible. 

Exactly, too many variables (many listed by HSN already and many more everyone could think of in time). Plenty of seniors coming back that would have made the tournament this year would miss it next year as well.

first time poster. I have been looking forward to the tournament for 3 years now. I am more of a pessimist as a sports fan, but every bracket i looked at i could make a case for a sweet 16 run or deeper. Even more to that point, this was seemingly the most open tournament for anyone to win it all. woulda been a fun tournament to watch.

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

first time poster. I have been looking forward to the tournament for 3 years now. I am more of a pessimist as a sports fan, but every bracket i looked at i could make a case for a sweet 16 run or deeper. Even more to that point, this was seemingly the most open tournament for anyone to win it all. woulda been a fun tournament to watch.

Welcome to posting here 

This whole situation sucks on so many levels. 

Finally get back to 20 wins and make the tourney for sure and poof it’s cancelled, first time ever. 

Guys graduating who now will never get to play in the tourney despite earning the right to.

No brackets to fill out, no office lunch room breaks and lunch excursions and leaving early to watch the tourney. 

and at a 9 or 10 seed in this tourney I think we would’ve had a very good shot at an elite 8 run 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This whole situation sucks on so many levels. 

Finally get back to 20 wins and make the tourney for sure and poof it’s cancelled, first time ever. 

Guys graduating who now will never get to play in the tourney despite earning the right to.

No brackets to fill out, no office lunch room breaks and lunch excursions and leaving early to watch the tourney. 

and at a 9 or 10 seed in this tourney I think we would’ve had a very good shot at an elite 8 run 

since I had already put in for my two days off at work and those were approved I am still going to take them and find something to do.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work.

1. Math, roughly 25% taking up scholarships with roughly 25% freshman coming in to take new spots.  Maybe we can open up some more prep schools and just tell all the freshman to stay home? 

2. Life.  Sometimes it sucks.  Move on and grow from it like some adults.  Key word, some.(not personal, very general) 

Correct me if I'm wrong.  Weren't you saying about a month ago some pretty hard things about participation trophies and such?  If so, why such the change of heart?

Archived