Smartphones

IUFLA

Mile's joking response (thanks Mile...I'm always wracking my brain to think of content for the Animal House) to my statement about the Gas Buddy app in the Gas Prices thread got me thinking (dangerous, I know)

I've pretty much turned my life over to my phone...I pay bills on it, bank on it, pay for good and services, use Android Auto for navigation in my car, book reservations at restaurants, and for flights and hotels, send and receive emails and text, and, oh yeah, make phone calls...

I have a couple of laptops and a couple of tablets that I hardly ever use, since I can do pretty much anything they can do with the device I keep in my pocket...

How about any of you? Are you a smartphone addict like me?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mile's joking response (thanks Mile...I'm always wracking my brain to think of content for the Animal House) to my statement about the Gas Buddy app in the Gas Prices thread got me thinking (dangerous, I know)

I've pretty much turned my life over to my phone...I pay bills on it, bank on it, pay for good and services, use Android Auto for navigation in my car, book reservations at restaurants, and for flights and hotels, send and receive emails and text, and, oh yeah, make phone calls...

I have a couple of laptops and a couple of tablets that I hardly ever use, since I can do pretty much anything they can do with the device I keep in my pocket...

How about any of you? Are you a smartphone addict like me?

Being self employed.... my entire life is on my phone. From work to personal....however I was a victim of identity theft 3 years ago. Since that time I started eliminating or reducing my exposure (financially) on my phone. I still have all of the normal apps linked to my bank (Uber, Lyft, Venmo, Zelle,etc...) but I only keep minimal amounts of $ in the account linked to my phone. Love my phone but I've been also trying to set it down more often. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I was about to put this link in the virus thread. Till I saw your thread.  Thanks for starting it.  What with the suspension of most sporting events, I think the "Animal House" is more important than ever before.

How to Sanitize Your Cell Phone | DIY Network Blog: Made + Remade | DIY

I work in a micro lab and we did some environmental testing on production workers hands and phones.  Very dirty. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Being self employed.... my entire life is on my phone. From work to personal....however I was a victim of identity theft 3 years ago. Since that time I started eliminating or reducing my exposure (financially) on my phone. I still have all of the normal apps linked to my bank (Uber, Lyft, Venmo, Zelle,etc...) but I only keep minimal amounts of $ in the account linked to my phone. Love my phone but I've been also trying to set it down more often. 

Yeah, I know there's some risk involved...but I do have notifications set on all banking apps for any activity at all, so there's that...

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Me and the wife have a phone each, a tablet, and a 9 yr old laptop I never use.  All Samsung. Had nothing but trouble with iPhones and switched to samsung galaxy a few years ago. I have the budget model because the battery is replaceable

I saw the first iPhone when my middle daughter, who had just moved out of the house and got her own phone plan (ATT...if you remember, they had the exclusive rights to iPhones initially and the rest of us were on US Cellular)...I cancelled US Cellular the next day, and went to ATT. Had iPhones through 4, then went to a Windows phone (ugh), back to iPhones, a Samsung Note 8 (great phone, but I hate Samsung bloatware), finally a Google Pixel 4XL which I love for the straight Android experience, and the Google Assistant...Siri blows...

@IUFLA

Still remember my first phone. A Nokia with a retractable antenna.  Was so confused when I got my first text message.  I thought they were free until my mom got the first bill with them on it.  Im pretty good at using stuff up. I kept the Nokia so long I got a Motorola razr for free when they first came out. 

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@IUFLA

Still remember my first phone. A Nokia with a retractable antenna.  Was so confused when I got my first text message.  I thought they were free until my mom got the first bill with them on it.  Im pretty good at using stuff up. I kept the Nokia so long I got a Motorola razr for free when they first came out. 

First one I ever saw my family and I were in line at Red Lobster (back when RL was cool) and a guy in front of us pulled what looked like a smaller version of the walkie-talkies (with antenna) in "Combat!" that was ringing...the first thing he did was bitch the caller out for calling and costing him money...

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First one I ever saw my family and I were in line at Red Lobster (back when RL was cool) and a guy in front of us pulled what looked like a smaller version of the walkie-talkies (with antenna) in "Combat!" that was ringing...the first thing he did was bitch the caller out for calling and costing him money...

The nokia was a hand me down. My mom got in 98 after I broke an arm in football practice and took about 3 hrs to get ahold of her. And the year before I had a dirt bike accident I was fortunate to walk away from. She got it so I could call her anytime I got busted up. Had it for about 8 yrs. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oh by the way. I actually do have a flip phone. It may get turned on once or twice in 3 months.

I figured as much...and that was one of the points of this thread...

You're perfectly happy without a smartphone...

I'm dependent, but if it got taken away tomorrow, I'd miss it, but I'd get along...but I'd have to get landline service back in my house, I guess...

But I think there's a segment of society that would be absolutely lost without theirs...not picking on the younger people, but I think it'd be difficult for some to adjust...

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

My smartphone goes everywhere I do. Big fan of Samsung.

I had a Note 8 and liked it, but I found myself liking the Google apps (GBoard keyboard, browser, Gmail) so I picked the Pixel...

And Bixby was, in my eyes, redundant with Google Assistant and years behind in functionality...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I had a Note 8 and liked it, but I found myself liking the Google apps (GBoard keyboard, browser, Gmail) so I picked the Pixel...

And Bixby was, in my eyes, redundant with Google Assistant and years behind in functionality...

I never use Bixby.  Really should try and learn to use more of whats there.  Primarily use for phone, text, email, internet, Waze, camera, weather, calculator

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I figured as much...and that was one of the points of this thread...

You're perfectly happy without a smartphone...

I'm dependent, but if it got taken away tomorrow, I'd miss it, but I'd get along...but I'd have to get landline service back in my house, I guess...

But I think there's a segment of society that would be absolutely lost without theirs...not picking on the younger people, but I think it'd be difficult for some to adjust...

My wife and son have smart phones.  And my wife is on her phone all the time, as if she were a teenager.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My wife and son have smart phones.  And my wife is on her phone all the time, as if she were a teenager.

Lol...well, I can't talk...I can be the same way...

One good thing about the B10 tourney being cancelled is, today is my wife's birthday...when we're out to dinner, I won't be checking my phone for IU's score...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lol...well, I can't talk...I can be the same way...

One good thing about the B10 tourney being cancelled is, today is my wife's birthday...when we're out to dinner, I won't be checking my phone for IU's score...

Tell your wife happy birthday from me. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

You have to say that. She posts here.  🤪

She might.  I dont know, so much easier to stay logged in.  She may be trying to give me a bad name. I'm going to talk to her right now!  We do like to make fun of each other.

For real though, I have a really great wife. Matches my personality perfectly. Thank god every day to be so lucky.

I got my first cell phone in 1996 when my wife got pregnant, a Sony I think. I paid a bunch for it didn’t even have the ability to text.

I use android phones mainly because I don’t like Apple’s “if we don’t offer it, then you don’t need it” attitude towards users. I have always just picked up a cheap phone that can do what I want (generally that is talk, text, maps and sometimes email). My son finally convinced me to get the latest Samsung phone which can do everything but cook you dinner and cost over $1000. I didn’t pay that much, they were buy one get one free, I got the free one.
Then on Black Friday I picked up a new laptop for about $100. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would some day have a $1000 phone and a $100 laptop, I would have told you that you were crazy.

Archived