Thank You Devonte and De’Ron

A thread for Devonte and De’Ron, who earned the right to play in their first NCAA tourney. 

Thank you, for your years of play and your strong contributions to getting us into the NCAA tourney this year - you guys earned it - and our best wishes to you both for your futures, you are both great young men, and Hoosiers proud 

Thanks to both.  I was always a fan of Devonte's even when it wasn't fashionable to be.  He could frustrate me at times, but I could never stay mad at him. 

I wish De'ron could have stayed healthy.  I admire him for battling back from all those injuries.  I felt he gave us quality minutes, even if it was just a few a game, the last couple of months of the season. 

Thank you, De'Ron & Devonte...

Of all the players on this team, you two dealt with more turmoil than anyone.  You stayed with it and saw it to the end and I both admire and appreciate that.  You listened to criticism...some fair...some very unfair, and continued to push forward and improve yourselves.  You never quit and you talked others out of quitting.  Despite some of the foolish passion you dealt with on the receiving end from some of our...er...more passionate fans, you stayed true to IU and finished what you started.

I wish you both much success and happiness in your journey forward.  You're always a part of Hoosier Nation and Hoosier Nation will always have your back when others unfairly criticize you.  Godspeed, bon voyage, au revoir, sayonara, adios, auf weidersen and goodbye.

It's been a great journey.

Am grateful for both of these two warriors. They went through a lot in their four years, and not all of it good. But they stuck with it and did everything they needed to do to get us to the dance this year. It's a shame that it ended like this. They both went out winners!

Wish to say Thanks for both of these outstanding young men for CHOOSING TO PLAY FOR IU!!! You both brought a lot of joy to my basketball viewing. You both earned the right to play in the NCAA tourney!!! Always a part og IU family!!! I hope to see you at some of IU future games!!

If it weren’t for bad luck, they’d have no luck at all.  These guys faced a ton of adversity, battled through it, never gave up, and are set to graduate. 

To wit:

-the coach who recruited them was fired;

-with a new coach coming in, the style changed and the program was rebuilding;

-DeRon had a devastating Achilles injury, one of the toughest injuries you could have;

-they earned the right to play in the NCAA tourney and lost it to a pandemic.

They didn’t sign up for what they ended up facing but they didn’t bail.  Through it all, they were good soldiers and they proved themselves to be great kids.  They could do some really good things on the floor.  Quick to take a pic for a child or fan.  They will graduate and be good alumni for the program. They earned it.  

Thanks for the memories gentlemen, while not always the best memories, plenty of good ones. 

Wish Deron could have stayed healthy, his game could have been special. Seems like at one time he was rated too 5 in the nation in high school, or maybe I’m crazy.

These two made an impact!

Deron showed character, perseverance and personality.  His play was also inspiring when he would come in and take on the other teams heavyweight.  No one should go through the injuries he did.  And most players his size do not come back from them.  Favorite games he played were the Duke and MSU games last year.

Devonte was fire when he was on - he made Carson Edwards tournament type shots.  He has that east coast in his game and he played with a style.  Many do not realize that he was something like the 190-200 rated recruit even with his brothers fame.  He made something and proved recruiting evaluators wrong.  In many ways that is a Hoosier ballplayer- play with a chip on your shoulder.  Loved the first game he played against Kansas and the FSU and Ohio State games this year.  Green light, Green light!  

De'Ron  was so much fun to watch.  Nobody was pushing him around on the block.  Sound fundamentals and smooth mid range jumper. Not sure what limited his minutes, but when our other bigs were getting pushed around, i couldn't wait to see De'Ron in the game.

Well done big guy,  Best of luck in the future.

Archived