Coaching Carousel has already started!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Tough one for McClain. Took over a garbage team. They were very close this year. The odd part is someone in their administration is saying they wanted a national presence and make tourney,etc.....but the same people booked a Robotics competition in their in own gym forcing McClain and his team to play away from home court in conference tourney.

I find it funny when someone suggests national presence but also is booking robotics events on homecourt.

Surprised Coach Hawkins was let go at Western. I had the privilege of working for him many times during his tenure. His teams were always well coached and well behaved.  He had ties to Coach Wooden and early in his career used to chauffeur him around. A first class man who hopefully finds another opportunity in the very near future.  

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Thanks for those links.  Hoosier Sports Nation members are the best when bringing college bb information to our great forum.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'm sure it was for all the "NBA connections" he touted when chasing Romeo...

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for those links.  Hoosier Sports Nation members are the best when bringing college bb information to our great forum.

Thanks Mile.At least with coaching carousel and the transfer portal, college basketball’s new version of the hot stove league, there’s something to follow 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Man, I liked those Dan Majerle Suns teams.  Majerle and Jeff Hornacek.  I thought they were great and so much fun.  Two of my favorite players of that era.  

I think Bryce actually will do a fine job there. Bryce I feel can punch above his weight class...but I think he was in the heavyweight division at Vandy and unfortunately for him ventured too far into the deep end with the OAD/5* pool and got burned when they all got hurt. Turning around a program takes time..takes laying a foundation (like we see with CAM) you try to skip steps and speed up the process to fast...you can get burned. I wouldn't be surprised at all he gets them to the tournament in the next couple years.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wake fires Danny Manning 

Eventually, Memphis will figure out the same thing about Penny Hardaway...great player and recruiter...not so good at coaching and developing.  When the new wears out and the recruits dry up, Memphis will have two choices; admit the mistake and send Penny packing or sink back into irrelevance.

I have the same suspicions about Juwan Howard.  When the new wears off and Phil Martelli leaves his bench, Howard will drift back to the nothing special category.  Very very hard for a superstar player to translate that to superstar coach.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Eventually, Memphis will figure out the same thing about Penny Hardaway...great player and recruiter...not so good at coaching and developing.  When the new wears out and the recruits dry up, Memphis will have two choices; admit the mistake and send Penny packing or sink back into irrelevance.

I have the same suspicions about Juwan Howard.  When the new wears off and Phil Martelli leaves his bench, Howard will drift back to the nothing special category.  Very very hard for a superstar player to translate that to superstar coach.

Good post.  Many are good at the game, have experience in the game, and have knowledge of the game.  The good coaches are great communicators and teachers of the game.  

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

common misconception that just because a guy is a great player he is a great coach.  

On 3/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, jefftheref said:

Surprised Coach Hawkins was let go at Western. I had the privilege of working for him many times during his tenure. His teams were always well coached and well behaved.  He had ties to Coach Wooden and early in his career used to chauffeur him around. A first class man who hopefully finds another opportunity in the very near future.  

Western Michigan promoted assistant coach Clayton Bates to the head coaching position. The athletic director said that due to the virus fiasco that the university would do be able to do an effective search. I know Coach Bates and he seems to be a pretty good person. He has been with Coach Hawkins since the beginning of his tenure. Congratulations and best of luck to Coach Bates. 

Archived