Coaching Carousel has already started!

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If I was an AD, and John Beilein was 47 instead of 67, I would fire whatever coach I had and hire him.  He's that good.  

That said, if I'm Wake Forest, I do have to pause because of his age.  If you're Wake, you need to look to catch lightning in a bottle with a younger coach.  What you don't want is to be looking for a new coach at the same time Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc.  And, given the age of those coaches, if Wake hired Belein, they would be right there in the same timeframe.

https://heatcheckcbb.com/2020/04/25/danny-manning-fired-six-candidates-to-watch-at-wake-forest/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm the Wake F. AD, I'd reach out to Beilein. Wake F needs a stepping stone to get to one step above and hire a good, long term coach after Beilein. If they can get a decent 5-year run from the old coach and build the program to right and well for the next coach, it's definitely worthwhile. 

26 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

If I'm the Wake F. AD, I'd reach out to Beilein. Wake F needs a stepping stone to get to one step above and hire a good, long term coach after Beilein. If they can get a decent 5-year run from the old coach and build the program to right and well for the next coach, it's definitely worthwhile. 

I think WF is a stepping stone job...

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think WF is a stepping stone job...

You're right it is. And for the school to right the ship, they need a coach like Beilein because due to his age, he can't be any school's long term plan. But he can be the right person for 5-6 years to improve the program to where it once was. 

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

You're right it is. And for the school to right the ship, they need a coach like Beilein because due to his age, he can't be any school's long term plan. But he can be the right person for 5-6 years to improve the program to where it once was. 

The key word there is "once" or maybe twice.  The Deacons are an afterthought in the ACC.

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I can see your point, but it really comes down to the AD and what his/her vision is for the program and how he/she sees getting there.  Do you go with older/more experience or younger/more energy?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I vote for giving the WF job to Dakich.  Gets him off TV and Radio.  :coffee:

I would love to see this. I don't hate Dakich or anything and I get that he's paid to stir controversy, etc., but at his core he's a coach and there is supposed to be a level of respect and courtesy amongst coaches, and I feel the way Dakich has personally attacked Archie is beyond the pail. I'd love to see him get back into coaching and just get crushed. 

45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I can see your point, but it really comes down to the AD and what his/her vision is for the program and how he/she sees getting there.  Do you go with older/more experience or younger/more energy?

I would first bring someone with good track records to create some buzz around the campus, let him build the program/culture, and then carefully choose the successor to continue. I know it's easier said than done, but to me it seems less risky.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I would love to see this. I don't hate Dakich or anything and I get that he's paid to stir controversy, etc., but at his core he's a coach and there is supposed to be a level of respect and courtesy amongst coaches, and I feel the way Dakich has personally attacked Archie is beyond the pail. I'd love to see him get back into coaching and just get crushed. 

Said it so many times in the past. One of my uncles was Dan's Godfather.  So I grew up knowing him and  following him from Andrean, to IU,  to grad assistant at IU, to assistant coach, to HC at Bowling Green.  Always proud of his trajectory.  And never more proud of him when he walked away from the HC gig at West Virginia, after learning they were breaking the rules. And then.  Blowing the whistle on Kelvin Sampson's transgressions.  Even his short stint as HC after Sampson. As he attempted to instill discipline in players who were not used to that under Sampson.

Then he got into radio.  And I became a you internet, and streaming.  daily listener.  Thank you internet and streaming.

However, over time I got distressed by his "on air" persona. As he would call out listeners who disagreed with him. And he would hang up on them. And call them names... like being clowns. 

Finally. The day came when he ended it all for me.  The day, he read a post of mine, on Hoosier Sports Nation 1.0.  He called me some very offensive names.  And from that day forward.... what once was a joy to me... to tune in to his show.... came to an end for me.  No longer a fan from that day forward.

Hey Dan. I am only one person.  So I am sure that does not matter to you.  However, I KNOW I am not alone.  There are ways to build a listener and viewership. Wake up. And become the guy, I once knew and respected. 

All this in response to the posts talking about you taking the WF job.  If you were not the person you turned into.... perhaps there would be a position for you somewhere in D-1 BB as a HC again. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree.  If I were Archie Miller and staff, I wouldn't give Dakich the time of day.  He's been a complete jackass to Miller and his staff and I can't see why he was so intent on that target unless...

2030053495_sourgrapes.jpg.baec8e6dc2525ecf914e190f6d413bc5.jpg

Regardless of his reason, I see this one burning Dakich in a big way.  If Miller gets things going the way I expect he will, how satisfying will it be to watch Dakich trying to kiss the ass he was chewing on earlier...

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Despite what we may think of Kevin Wilson, then and now.  One thing Kevin did as IUFBHC was to sniff out what Dan Dakich was about.  That relationship broke early on. 

Was Dipsh!! Dan announcing Indiana games as often as he used to? It seemed to me that he was doing other games and I wonder if that was at the request of Indiana or was it just a coincidence or am I way off base?

On 4/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, milehiiu said:

Whatever floats their boat, I guess.  Beilein is 67 years of age. Has been fired/pushed out of the NBA.  And is less than two years from having a double bye pass operation on his heart.

If he is Wake's leading candidate. I would hate to see who else is on their list.

I wonder if they go in house and go with a current assistant. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Steve Forbes from ETSU is their guy. He and Wake AD knew each other from Tennessee....so Beilein will still be available.

Sound like a good hire...didn't know he'd coached at one of my alma maters, Northwest Florida State College (Okaloosa-Walton Community College when I was there).

• 1 month later...

Archived