Anybody Else Think This Would Have Been a Terrible Idea?

Smacks of a pure money grab, and to hell with the rest of the potential field, even though it was "likely" there could have been 2-3 "Cinderella's" this year. The field was so close in talent and quality play, that for the first time in a long time, literally anybody could win it all.

Stupidist idea ever, and I think Gavitt usually does some pretty good things, but certainly not this time. I'd like Lafonso Ellis to go to the schools who are ranked 17-64 and see how the players feel about 16 teams. (Dumb-ass)

39 minutes ago, DWB said:

it was "likely" there could have been 2-3 "Cinderella's" this year. The field was so close in talent and quality play, that for the first time in a long time, literally anybody could win it all.

This to me is one of the biggest disappointments, was probably going to be one of the wildest Tourney's ever! Would have been so much fun!

5 minutes ago, IUalum said:

I would have liked them to do a Selection Sunday, even if there is no tournament.

Maybe provided some better closure to the season.

Seems like we should be playing the Sparties today for a chance at the finals.

I agree with the selection Sunday Idea. I am not in favor of a limited tournament or granting seniors another year of eligibility except in the spring and summer sports. If I were an incoming recruit I would be honked off if a player I was recruited to replace would still be on the roster. 

7 minutes ago, IUalum said:

I would have liked them to do a Selection Sunday, even if there is no tournament.

Maybe provided some better closure to the season.

Seems like we should be playing the Sparties today for a chance at the finals.

In a period where sports fans would love to have something to watch, a one hour show to reveal what the bracket would have been would be a ratings bonanza. 

37 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

In a period where sports fans would love to have something to watch, a one hour show to reveal what the bracket would have been would be a ratings bonanza. 

Totally agree.  Maybe CC can start a presumptive selection Sunday thread for us tomorrow. 

Honestly it's impossible to even differentiate probably anyone outside the top 5 from the top 25-30. No way the committee could agree on the top 16 teams. Anything from 8/9-30 are all about equal. Would have just made this worse. I just think they should have announced the tournament teams as they normally would and congratulate those teams based on their season.

That would acknowledge the kids seasons, coaching staffs hard work, and then the rest of us could still have our office pools to see who wins the AI Watson Computer simulated NCAA Tournament!!!

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly it's impossible to even differentiate probably anyone outside the top 5 from the top 25-30. No way the committee could agree on the top 16 teams. Anything from 8/9-30 are all about equal. Would have just made this worse. I just think they should have announced the tournament teams as they normally would and congratulate those teams based on their season.

That would acknowledge the kids seasons, coaching staffs hard work, and then the rest of us could still have our office pools to see who wins the AI Watson Computer simulated NCAA Tournament!!!

I can see y they did not announce the field of 68 because so much of the conference tournaments were not close to being completed.  Let's just say IU made a run to the finals of the BTT, that would change where they would be seeded.

Archived