Watching some old tournament games

Went to YouTube last night and Glen Glavico has put some new games out because I watched a few last night that I have not seen before.  Watched two games form 1994 against Ohio and Temple.  We started Lindeman and Henderson together but most of the time we had 4 shooters around Henderson with Leary, bailey, Evans and P Graham.  especially against temple's zone that was a great lineup because of their outside shooting.  They were 11-19 from 3 and won that game by around 10 points.  The other game I have watched was the 81 regional final against St. Joesephs and that 81 team was so great to watch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Today I have not watched any games but I am watching a hour show on the DB Cooper case on the history channel.  Trying not to go out today so I have to watch somethig on TV but there is not much on. 

Roku with Hulu live tv and Netflix are your friend. With no sports to watch. Plus tons of channel content available on Roku. 

CBS is playing old Big Ten championship games this weekend.  Too bad we aren’t in any of them.  (Doubt they go back to 2001)

I’m hoping maybe next week CBS and the other channels that broadcast march madness will show some March madness classics.  With no live sports and a lot of people stuck at home they’d probably have great ratings.  

If you guys want to see what real great offense looks like just go watch the 81 tournament game against Maryland.  That 81 team was so efficient and  they did not take bad shots and their shots were usually open looks because they worked for the good shot.

46 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Went back and watched some games from the Zeller teams. Even the UK loss in the tourney, our offense looked light years better than what we've seen recently. It was actually quite staggering. 

I’m watching the WatShot game, the biggest striking difference for me besides just the talent, is how hard and passionate the Zeller/Oladipo teams played, and how together they were. Those guys wanted to win so bad, and wore it on their sleeves. We haven’t had that IU recently. 

Greetings HSN.

This seemed like a good time (and topic) to join in on.

I've been watching the Hoosiers since the 70s and graduated from IU in the 90s. Also have been reading various IU sites but never really had time or felt like posting before.

(Semi-retired now so that helps)

I too have been watching some old IU tourney games from '87 (UNLV, LSU, Syracuse) and '81 (St Joseph's).

Some takeaways:

- Couldn't believe how little subbing CBK did during that '87 run. I think in the UNLV game IU didn't have a single substitution until only 2 minutes were left in the first half.

- Didn't remember clearly how HUGE Eyl and Hillman were that year. We don't make the final four or win the Championship without them IMO.

- Steve Alford shot 70% from the 3 in the Syracuse game! (7-10)

- Man, we had tremendous shooters in '81 and '87 (Wittman, Kitchel, Tolbert, Alford, Calloway, Garret, etc.).  Those guys just hit shot, after shot, after shot! Need to move back in that direction. (I think the '81 team shot 75% against St. Joe's in the first half!)

- Boo Williams was on that '81 St Joe's team. Played IU in Assembly Hall in the tourney.

Anyway...Hello!

54 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

My all time favorite. 

Funny!  I watched this game with my 17 year old daughter earlier today...her first time. She loved it. When IU went ahead for the first time with about a minute left (spoiler alert!), I looked over at her and said, "it ain't over yet." 

One of her comments was how she noticed the difference in style of play. They shot 3s but she really felt that both teams hunted more for inside points...taking the 3 when open and mostly obvious situations. I was proud of her observations. I hate having to tell my kids that yes, IU used to be a basketball powerhouse.

We also watched the 93 B1G game with IU at Michigan. Great memories of a great team. Wow....Cheaney, Graham, Reynolds, Evans, Bailey, Henderson, Nover, etc. I almost had forgotten what a nice shooter Henderson was. That was her first time seeing Cheaney play.

34 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Funny!  I watched this game with my 17 year old daughter earlier today...her first time. She loved it. When IU went ahead for the first time with about a minute left (spoiler alert!), I looked over at her and said, "it ain't over yet." 

One of her comments was how she noticed the difference in style of play. They shot 3s but she really felt that both teams hunted more for inside points...taking the 3 when open and mostly obvious situations. I was proud of her observations. I hate having to tell my kids that yes, IU used to be a basketball powerhouse.

We also watched the 93 B1G game with IU at Michigan. Great memories of a great team. Wow....Cheaney, Graham, Reynolds, Evans, Bailey, Henderson, Nover, etc. I almost had forgotten what a nice shooter Henderson was. That was her first time seeing Cheaney play.

That team could have seriously hung a banner without Henderson getting hurt. Talk about a collection of talented young men.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I’m watching the WatShot game, the biggest striking difference for me besides just the talent, is how hard and passionate the Zeller/Oladipo teams played, and how together they were. Those guys wanted to win so bad, and wore it on their sleeves. We haven’t had that IU recently. 

I am watching games older than that and just can't believe how much things has change don how teams play.  The offense looks so different than what we see now where there were very few ball screens and players moved.

50 minutes ago, BankShot said:

Greetings HSN.

This seemed like a good time (and topic) to join in on.

I've been watching the Hoosiers since the 70s and graduated from IU in the 90s. Also have been reading various IU sites but never really had time or felt like posting before.

(Semi-retired now so that helps)

I too have been watching some old IU tourney games from '87 (UNLV, LSU, Syracuse) and '81 (St Joseph's).

Some takeaways:

- Couldn't believe how little subbing CBK did during that '87 run. I think in the UNLV game IU didn't have a single substitution until only 2 minutes were left in the first half.

- Didn't remember clearly how HUGE Eyl and Hillman were that year. We don't make the final four or win the Championship without them IMO.

- Steve Alford shot 70% from the 3 in the Syracuse game! (7-10)

- Man, we had tremendous shooters in '81 and '87 (Wittman, Kitchel, Tolbert, Alford, Calloway, Garret, etc.).  Those guys just hit shot, after shot, after shot! Need to move back in that direction. (I think the '81 team shot 75% against St. Joe's in the first half!)

- Boo Williams was on that '81 St Joe's team. Played IU in Assembly Hall in the tourney.

Anyway...Hello!

I noticed that Boo Williams was on that St. Joeseph team and wore #5 like Troy did for IU

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am watching games older than that and just can't believe how much things has change don how teams play.  The offense looks so different than what we see now where there were very few ball screens and players moved.

Yeah, watched the ‘87 Title game yesterday and don’t think I saw a single ball screen. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, watched the ‘87 Title game yesterday and don’t think I saw a single ball screen. 

A few weeks ago I watched the Auburn, LSU and UNLV games and those IU teams ran a great offense.  I  noticed we did not take any forced shots and it was nice not seeing teams having to take bad shots and the end of the shot clock.  It was not like we held the ball until we got a god shot because most of the times we probably took a shot with less than 4 passes.  It seems like we just got into our offense right away and did not dribble much at all.

1 minute ago, BankShot said:

I believe the shot clock was 45 seconds (in both '81 and '87?). Not only was I reminded how incredibly patient those teams were, but they did it for longer each possession.

81 had no shot clock or 3 point shot yet that IU team scored 99 against Maryland, 87 against UAB and 77 against St. Josephs

Archived