Watching some old tournament games

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

81 had no shot clock or 3 point shot yet that IU team scored 99 against Maryland, 87 against UAB and 77 against St. Josephs

Yes, that's right about '81. I remember now when I watched the St Joe's game thinking that the floor looked odd without the 3 pt line.

Is the '81 Maryland game on YouTube? I want to watch it.

1 minute ago, BankShot said:

Yes, that's right about '81. I remember now when I watched the St Joe's game thinking that the floor looked odd without the 3 pt line.

Yes it is and have watched it a few weeks ago and to me that was the best played game that I have seen an IU team played.  To me they ran a great offense but it was not spread out at all and all the players were within 15 feet from the basket.

5 minutes ago, BankShot said:

YouTube Glen Clavico. Great resource for archives.  Just recently come across his channel.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes he is the one that has put most of those old games on YouTube

Great thing he is doing. My dad recorded alot of games on VHS and we would watch them.  

I'm sure you will appreciate this, my dad's favorite shot and one he drilled me on relentlessly was a midrange 45 degree bank shot. He believed it was the most efficient shot other than a free throw.  My dad was also an IHSAA referee for about 10 yrs in the early to late 90's. So I got to travel and experience alot of indiana high school basketball.

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Great thing he is doing. My dad recorded alot of games on VHS and we would watch them.  

I'm sure you will appreciate this, my dad's favorite shot and one he drilled me on relentlessly was a midrange 45 degree bank shot. He believed it was the most efficient shot other than a free throw.  My dad was also an IHSAA referee for about 10 yrs in the early to late 90's. So I got to travel and experience alot of indiana high school basketball.

I just wish coaches today would realize that what use to work offensively could still work today.  Taking good shots and doing the fundamentals still would work.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm sure you will appreciate this, my dad's favorite shot and one he drilled me on relentlessly was a midrange 45 degree bank shot. He believed it was the most efficient shot other than a free throw. 

One of these days, a successful college player will figure this out and bank shots will be cool again.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just wish coaches today would realize that what use to work offensively could still work today.  Taking good shots and doing the fundamentals still would work.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason a constant motion offense or a flex 4 offense couldn't work today. Bring back the 45 second shot clock too. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

One of these days, a successful college player will figure this out and bank shots will be cool again.

Zavier Simpson already saw the advantages of a little guy who could shoot a hook shot...must have seen him hit a dozen of those this year...

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason a constant motion offense or a flex 4 offense couldn't work today. Bring back the 45 second shot clock too. 

Would love to see the shot clock go back to 5 seconds.  You would think having a shot clock would increase scoring but it has made it go down.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Obviously my favorite game is they 87 championship game that my dad recorded on VHS and we would watch every March hoping for #6.  

I actually have a tape of that game. I have talked about an uncle of mine who was Dan Dakich's god father. And when he learned IU was playing in the championship game. Flew down. Without a ticket to the game.  Had dinner the night before the game with Dan's parents. And Digger Phelps came by the table.  Upon learning that my uncle did not have a ticket for the game..... said don't go anywhere.  And Digger came back with a ticket for my uncle !

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I actually have a tape of that game. I have talked about an uncle of mine who was Dan Dakich's god father. And when he learned IU was playing in the championship game. Flew down. Without a ticket to the game.  Had dinner the night before the game with Dan's parents. And Digger Phelps came by the table.  Upon learning that my uncle did not have a ticket for the game..... said don't go anywhere.  And Digger came back with a ticket for my uncle !

Before my time but everything I have read, Digger was a class act. Great story. 

3 hours ago, H00sier said:

That team could have seriously hung a banner without Henderson getting hurt. Talk about a collection of talented young men.

Yep. I also think we would have won if Henderson did not get hurt. Team played well together and had a ton of talent....4 burger boys plus Cheaney.

4 hours ago, BankShot said:

Greetings HSN.

This seemed like a good time (and topic) to join in on.

I've been watching the Hoosiers since the 70s and graduated from IU in the 90s. Also have been reading various IU sites but never really had time or felt like posting before.

(Semi-retired now so that helps)

I too have been watching some old IU tourney games from '87 (UNLV, LSU, Syracuse) and '81 (St Joseph's).

Some takeaways:

- Couldn't believe how little subbing CBK did during that '87 run. I think in the UNLV game IU didn't have a single substitution until only 2 minutes were left in the first half.

- Didn't remember clearly how HUGE Eyl and Hillman were that year. We don't make the final four or win the Championship without them IMO.

- Steve Alford shot 70% from the 3 in the Syracuse game! (7-10)

- Man, we had tremendous shooters in '81 and '87 (Wittman, Kitchel, Tolbert, Alford, Calloway, Garret, etc.).  Those guys just hit shot, after shot, after shot! Need to move back in that direction. (I think the '81 team shot 75% against St. Joe's in the first half!)

- Boo Williams was on that '81 St Joe's team. Played IU in Assembly Hall in the tourney.

Anyway...Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you guys want to see what real great offense looks like just go watch the 81 tournament game against Maryland.  That 81 team was so efficient and  they did not take bad shots and their shots were usually open looks because they worked for the good shot.

You mentioned this game a few weeks ago and I checked it out (thanks!). It was so strange without the 3 pt line, but what I found interesting was that so many shots were taken from about 15 ft in and that if you were out close to the modern 3 pts distance you were hardly even guarded most of time. A player could take wide open 20ft jumpers all day. Very interesting feel to those games. They didn't hunt for the first open shot but the best shot.

Anyway, thanks for guiding me to that game. My first memory of watching IU was the 81 champ game, so I don't think I had ever seen the Maryland game.

11 hours ago, BankShot said:

Greetings HSN.

This seemed like a good time (and topic) to join in on.

I've been watching the Hoosiers since the 70s and graduated from IU in the 90s. Also have been reading various IU sites but never really had time or felt like posting before.

(Semi-retired now so that helps)

I too have been watching some old IU tourney games from '87 (UNLV, LSU, Syracuse) and '81 (St Joseph's).

Some takeaways:

- Couldn't believe how little subbing CBK did during that '87 run. I think in the UNLV game IU didn't have a single substitution until only 2 minutes were left in the first half.

- Didn't remember clearly how HUGE Eyl and Hillman were that year. We don't make the final four or win the Championship without them IMO.

- Steve Alford shot 70% from the 3 in the Syracuse game! (7-10)

- Man, we had tremendous shooters in '81 and '87 (Wittman, Kitchel, Tolbert, Alford, Calloway, Garret, etc.).  Those guys just hit shot, after shot, after shot! Need to move back in that direction. (I think the '81 team shot 75% against St. Joe's in the first half!)

- Boo Williams was on that '81 St Joe's team. Played IU in Assembly Hall in the tourney.

Anyway...Hello!

Joining with the others in welcoming you to Hoosier Sports Nation.... the best IU fan board ever.

19 minutes ago, BankShot said:

Thanks!

Agree...this is the best board I've found.

You are welcome. We have great moderators.  Who, though tolerant.  Are great at enforcing our simple rules, when and if abused.   Which leads to a fun and civil forum.

HSN Rules - Rules - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Glad to have you as a member.

My IU fandom aside...there are plenty of other tournament games that really catch my interest.  A few off the top of my head are:

1982 NCAA championship---North Carolina/Georgetown

1977 NCAA FF game---Marquette/UNC-Charlotte

1974 NCAA FF game---NC State/UCLA

1 hour ago, rico said:

My IU fandom aside...there are plenty of other tournament games that really catch my interest.  A few off the top of my head are:

1982 NCAA championship---North Carolina/Georgetown

1977 NCAA FF game---Marquette/UNC-Charlotte

1974 NCAA FF game---NC State/UCLA

The 1992 Duke/UK game.  I honestly think we have banner 6 if UK wins.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The 1992 Duke/UK game.  I honestly think we have banner 6 if UK wins.

Great game for sure...but I could easily say that if we didn't choke in the final regular season game we would have been a #1 seed and the complexion of the FF would really have changed.

Just watched the 81 final four game against LSU.  Probably was our worse offensive game of that tournament, yet we won 67-49.  IT was in foul trouble all day and only score 2 point sin the second half.  We were down 30-27 at half and with IT in foul trouble Jim Thomas had a great game and at one time outscored LSU 34-9 in the second half.

One thing I noticed in these older games is how much the coaches back then did not stand and roam the sidelines like they do today.  They stayed seated unless they really needed to tell a player something.  Also the graphics back then were soo much simpler and your screen was not full of graphics.  You only saw the score after a made basket and very rarely saw the clock shown on the screen.

Archived