Watching some old tournament games

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just watched the 81 final four game against LSU.  Probably was our worse offensive game of that tournament, yet we won 67-49.  IT was in foul trouble all day and only score 2 point sin the second half.  We were down 30-27 at half and with IT in foul trouble Jim Thomas had a great game and at one time outscored LSU 34-9 in the second half.

One thing I noticed in these older games is how much the coaches back then did not stand and roam the sidelines like they do today.  They stayed seated unless they really needed to tell a player something.  Also the graphics back then were soo much simpler and your screen was not full of graphics.  You only saw the score after a made basket and very rarely saw the clock shown on the screen.

I noticed this watching the ‘87 Final. The perception of Knight is that he’s a raving, yelled and screamer. During that game he hardly even got his for the bench.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I noticed this watching the ‘87 Final. The perception of Knight is that he’s a raving, yelled and screamer. During that game he hardly even got his for the bench.  

Yep. Brian.  Another thing.  Coach Knight was upset with Keith Smart's early game play. And decided to bench Keith for the rest of the game.  But something changed in Coach Knight's mind. And he re-entered Smart into the game.   The rest is history.

Keith Smart Winning Shot 1987 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Brian.  Another thing.  Coach Knight was upset with Keith Smart's early game play. And decided to bench Keith for the rest of the game.  But something changed in Coach Knight's mind. And he re-entered Smart into the game.   The rest is history.

Keith Smart Winning Shot 1987 

Good point. Was really interesting going back and watching that game. 

I guess I'll just put this here or someone can come along and start a new thread if they want. One of our most (Coach) reliable posters is sharing tidbits of IU information on  twitter. His first 2 tweets were prime information that I appreciate him sharing. Follow him on twitter or like I said someone can start new thread.  

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I'll just put this here or someone can come along and start a new thread if they want. One of our most (Coach) reliable posters is sharing tidbits of IU information on  twitter. His first 2 tweets were prime information that I appreciate him sharing. Follow him on twitter or like I said someone can start new thread.  

Good or bad news

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sorry. Old stories about IU sports, coaches....he's going to tweet information out over the coming days/weeks that wasn't necessarily public just to kind of fill the void of not having any hoops to watch.

Good to hear.  Any clue as to who that coach is ? As a struggling HSN member, who is twitter ignorant. I need all the breaks I can get.

Just got done watching the 83 game at home against 83 which was for the big ten championship.  IU was without Kitchel who was averaging 20 a game and still won 81-58.  The game was a thing of beauty by IU and the offense was just magical to watch.  Never saw so many easy baskets in a half court offense off back cuts or just coming off screens.

Another thing is that IU did not sub until 8 minutes was left in the game but we are told today it to hard to play players big minutes.  It was not like this IU team was overly talented but they all played to their roles.  The starters were, Tony Brown, Jim Thomas, Randy Wittman, Steve Boucie, Uwe Blab.

An impressive stat was that after that game IU's record in Assembly Hall was 145-14

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just got done watching the 83 game at home against 83 which was for the big ten championship.  IU was without Kitchel who was averaging 20 a game and still won 81-58.  The game was a thing of beauty by IU and the offense was just magical to watch.  Never saw so many easy baskets in a half court offense off back cuts or just coming off screens.

Another thing is that IU did not sub until 8 minutes was left in the game but we are told today it to hard to play players big minutes.  It was not like this IU team was overly talented but they all played to their roles.  The starters were, Tony Brown, Jim Thomas, Randy Wittman, Steve Boucie, Uwe Blab.

An impressive stat was that after that game IU's record in Assembly Hall was 145-14

I played at Washington and have met Steve Bouchie multiple times. I have been around his brother Randy more though. Was in the same high school class with Steve's nephew Jordan, Randy's son. Great family. Steve was not the first Hatchet to play for IU but was the first Mr. basketball and Parade all American from southern Indiana. 

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I played at Washington and have met Steve Bouchie multiple times. I have been around his brother Randy more though. Was in the same high school class with Steve's nephew Jordan, Randy's son. Great family. Steve was not the first Hatchet to play for IU but was the first Mr. basketball and Parade all American from southern Indiana. 

Steve Collier wasn't from southern Indiana?

11 hours ago, HoosierMama said:

It’s not a tournament game, but I guess ESPN2 is playing the Wat Shot game tonight at midnight.  I’ll be recording and having my kids watch tomorrow.  “Watford for the win!”

No shame in admitting. I've watched about every single clip of fan reaction from Nick's to San Diego IU Alumni Club and everything in between on Youtube of that shot. Sure we all have. The thing that I always think gets overlooked is we were up double digits and ready to run UK out of the gym....and out of nowhere it was gone and anger/sadness set in and out of nowhere again....Watford for the win was born. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, BGleas said:

I have the game on VHS somewhere in the house...watched it 100 times...always loved the part where they're showing the replay of RMK on the bench as Smart takes and makes the shot...kind of a half wince, then calmly gets off the bench, with Packer in the background saying, "and there's Bob Knight, moving on into history."

Just watched the 81 championship game and the first 8 minutes of the second half was great basketball.  One thing I noticed is that 3 of our starters played 40 minutes and we only used 7 players.  Kitchel went out with 3 fouls after 4 minutes and they brought in Risley for him,   After a few minutes Jim Thomas came in for Risley and for the next 25 minutes there were no subs at all until Turner fouled out.

Watched the 2003 first round game where we were a 7 seed and playing the10th seeded Alabama.  At one time in the middle of the season Alabama was ranked #1 in the country but totally went off the rails to get a 10 seed.  It was a pretty good game where IU won 67-62 and over came a 11 point deficit at half.

Watched the whole 2002 championship game against Maryland on the BTN.  It was amazing to me how poorly both teams played, especially in the first half.  Just tons of poor passes and shots.  What kept IU in the game was good defense and red hot shooting from three.  

I think that team had a great build for today's game. Tons of length in the front court to defend drives, and alot of three point shooting.

I rewatched the IU vs Duke and  IU v LSU tournament games. My childhood IU teams could really score. Mistakes were made, but offensively we moved the ball quickly and really spread the floor. We didn’t pound the ball into the ground. It wasn’t abnormal for many of those games to be in the 80s and 90s and that was with a shot clock at 45 seconds.  I really miss those days.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, BGleas said:

It seemed like, with a few exceptions, the bigger the stage the more calm Coach Knight was

Archived