Thinking of other athletes affected by the cancellations

Drroogh

Thanks to snowling for posting this link in the woman's basketball thread.

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2020/03/14/well-be-back-indiana-athletes-react-to-big-ten-and-ncaa-cancellations/

Reading about how the cancellations of other sports besides Men's Basketball had me in tears!

Can only imagine the disappointment of all of the NCAA and High School athletes!

My son a D2 athlete who went to classes and graduated with two degrees, trained two seasons for indoor and outdoor Track while holding down a night job to help pay the bills, provisionally qualifying for the D2 national championships; and how upset he got when he underperformed at the high school state championships, driving him to success at the next level!

My daughter, who after enduring 4 years of the idiot High School Softball coach constantly appeasing the influenza parents at the expense of my daughter, one of the best players on the team. After they lost their last game in sectionals, she could be overheard by everyone letting out 4 years of frustration on the coach!! (not one of my  proud parent moments)

My own memories of winning and losing on the court of the Palestra during the NCAA national fencing championships. 

These are the kind of memories that will not happen this year! My prayer is just like my son under performing at the State Championship, the disappointment will propel all of the affected to go on to bigger and better things!

After saying they would play the boys high school tournament without fans in Colorado.  And after playing games without fans. CHSAA did a complete turnaround, and completely cancelled the tournament.  The Denver Post had a story in Saturday's paper.... with quotes from coaches and players on how disappointed they were that the tournament was cancelled, rather that disappointed.  No more that one 5a school who had gone undefeated the entire season, and was expected to win a championship.

50 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Have a cousin who's son plays on the team that just won their first sectional since 2011.  Would have given my left nut to be on a sectional championship team in Washington Indiana.  To have the tournament canceled is beyond disappointing 

Washington Indiana. Home to Cody Zeller.  Sad on hearing about your cousin's son. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Washington Indiana. Home to Cody Zeller.  Sad on hearing about your cousin's son. 

My cousin, who is 10rys older than me, played in the only girls Final Four appearance for WHS in 1994, lost to Carmel in the early game back when Indiana still had single class. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My cousin, who is 10rys older than me, played in the only girls Final Four appearance for WHS in 1994, lost to Carmel in the early game back when Indiana still had single class. 

Really neat.  Was a time when I was in high school, in Indiana. That there was no such thing as girl's basketball. Outside of gym class.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Really neat.  Was a time when I was in high school, in Indiana. That there was no such thing as girl's basketball. Outside of gym class.

Pretty sure the girls tournament didnt start until 1971?  Washington also has alot of connections to IU.  Southern Indianas first Mr. Basketball and Parade Magazines All American in 1979 was Steve Bouchie.  I was in the same class and played sports with his nephew and of course met Steve on multiple occasions. 9 Hatchets have went on to be Hoosiers. Wish I was one of them.  

Sam Alford, Steve Alfords dad, graduated from WHS and played on a team that was a Regional finalist in 1960.  Went to church with Steve Alfords grandma.  Steve was coaching at Iowa when he came as a guest speaker for a religious convention at the Hatchet House. Have met him several times. Always positive. Disappointed to find out he has been a jerk to alot of people.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pretty sure the girls tournament didnt start until 1971?  Washington also has alot of connections to IU.  Southern Indianas first Mr. Basketball and Parade Magazines All American in 1979 was Steve Bouchie.  I was in the same class and played sports with his nephew and of course met Steve on multiple occasions. 9 Hatchets have went on to be Hoosiers. Wish I was one of them.  

Sam Alford, Steve Alfords dad, graduated from WHS and played on a team that was a Regional finalist in 1960.  Went to church with Steve Alfords grandma.  Steve was coaching at Iowa when he came as a guest speaker for a religious convention at the Hatchet House. Have met him several times. Always positive. Disappointed to find out he has been a jerk to alot of people.

Not only all of that. But Washington, Indiana. Home of the New White Steamer.  Cody Zeller's favorite.   Ummmmm.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not only all of that. But Washington, Indiana. Home of the New White Steamer.  Cody Zeller's favorite.   Ummmmm.

My favorite too. At one time, I was pretty close to the people that owned it when I was in high school. I grew up down the road from then. When I played baseball they would let me use their homemade batting cages behind their house. 

Washington also has a 50's style drive in called Masons.  Haven't been there in years but they are known for foot long coneys and frosty glass mugs of Root beer. And their chocolate chip shakes are otherworldly.

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My favorite too. At one time, I was pretty close to the people that owned it when I was in high school. I grew up down the road from then. When I played baseball they would let me use their homemade batting cages behind their house. 

Washington also has a 50's style drive in called Masons.  Haven't been there in years but they are known for foot long coneys and frosty glass mugs of Root beer. And their chocolate chip shakes are otherworldly.

Even Kentucky fans love....The White Steamer in Washington Indiana 

Archived