Erik Stevenson

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will admit I was one of those people and that does not look good right now.  We also had a coach who had a lot of transfers that we all loved here, just saying.

I still love him, but no way could he coach in today's environment.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I addmitedly haven’t seen his play so am just going off the stat line, but his shooting numbers his first two years are down right brutal. The numbers I posted above were both increases from his freshmen year where they were even worse.

With that said, he looks like a tough kid and a lot of big schools are going after him  

Yeah it was alarming to me to see his numbers; but if you go back and read articles from ~January he was probably their best player. No idea what caused the drop off, but there is some very real potential there. 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will admit I was one of those people and that does not look good right now.  We also had a coach who had a lot of transfers that we all loved here, just saying.

Kudos for admitting Marshall was not the answer! Also will go with the we will see theme concerning CAM. Have to say, things are definitely looking on the positive side!

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah it was alarming to me to see his numbers; but if you go back and read articles from ~January he was probably their best player. No idea what caused the drop off, but there is some very real potential there. 

There wasn’t a drop off, the 37% fg and 30% 3pt shooting splits this season were improvements from his freshmen year. 

I haven’t seen this particular player, but I’ve said for awhile I’d like to see us get a veteran guard in here to go with Lander who can really compete at the guard position and push Durham and Phinisee hard for minutes.  This kid looks like he’d need to sit a year without a waiver, which tend to get handed out like candy.   I’d say the shooting percentage is not impressive but he did score double digits so maybe he’s got scorer skills.  You can tell by who else is after him that he must have game.   Archie wants guys that are tough as nails.  If we can get a roster full of those guys, we will win.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

There wasn’t a drop off, the 37% fg and 30% 3pt shooting splits this season were improvements from his freshmen year. 

There was definitely a drop off from the first half of this season to the second half; I wasn't talking about his freshman year at all. 

When Wichita was 15-1 he was their leading scorer and his percentages were much better. I would speculate that drop off in his play THIS season coincides with when the staff got too tight on mistakes. I don't think he is just making it up that the staff changed, otherwise we wouldn't see all of the other transfers. 

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I haven’t seen this particular player, but I’ve said for awhile I’d like to see us get a veteran guard in here to go with Lander who can really compete at the guard position and push Durham and Phinisee hard for minutes.  This kid looks like he’d need to sit a year without a waiver, which tend to get handed out like candy.   I’d say the shooting percentage is not impressive but he did score double digits so maybe he’s got scorer skills.  You can tell by who else is after him that he must have game.   Archie wants guys that are tough as nails.  If we can get a roster full of those guys, we will win.  

Who else is after him?  I looked back but I couldn’t find a list. 

A little more context here...

The first 16 games this season, Wichita started 15-1 and his line was 42% fg, 47% from two and 37% from three on 6 attempts per game. He averaged 5.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals in that time. 

Over the next 15 games, he only started 5 times and his numbers took a serious drop off. There is clearly something that happened in the middle of the season with the coaches and it caused his play to take a big dip. 

I think it is worth the coaching staff at least having a conversation and understanding his perspective. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The first 16 games this season, Wichita started 15-1 and his line was 42% fg, 47% from two and 37% from three on 6 attempts per game. He averaged 5.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals in that time. 

Over the next 15 games, he only started 5 times and his numbers took a serious drop off. There is clearly something that happened in the middle of the season with the coaches and it caused his play to take a big dip. 

I think it is worth the coaching staff at least having a conversation and understanding his perspective. 

Appreciate the background. That all makes sense. Sounds like he could be a good fit. 

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and LOL at the posters here that wanted Marshall (and his drunk wife) at IU. 😂😂😂

Yep. People (and rightfully so) talk about the pressure on the coach. Imagine the strength it takes to be a wife of the coach with people taking pot shots when things aren't going well. Marshall's wife would last about 30 days in the 812.

Don't mind reaching out one bit. Who knows how many transfers will be available in the next month or so. I do like the concept of what I think Archie is doing. Bringing guys who can hit the ground running in addition to guys like Lander so after next season (if he or others leave or go pro) there isn't such a huge drop from one season to the next at our PG position. Bring in a kid like this...can practice and develop with the guys and be ready to go right away. Not have the constant growing pains each and every year.

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We need mentally tough players. Sounds like this kid may have folded under pressure. B1G is a whole different level than the AAC

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We need mentally tough players. Sounds like this kid may have folded under pressure. B1G is a whole different level than the AAC

I understand where we might think this but when 1/3 of a team leaves a coach who has been leading the program for 13 years something tells me it wasn't just one kid. 

On this kid, it sounds to me more like something happened — and he mentioned butting heads with Marshall — that caused him to come off the bench, then what he referred to as a one mistake and you’re out approach from Marshall. 

That sounds sort of like CAM and Green. CAM pulls his younger players anyway after a defensive mistake — as he did with Hunter, and Demez — and our strong willed guard, Green, and CAM had at least a little butting heads. 

If that’s the real underlying issue I don’t think he would be a good fit, similar at least as to a coaching approach of avoiding certain mistakes / type of play to stay on the floor. 

However a number of kids are leaving that program, so there’s more going on there. I don’t know enough about what was really going on to say, but Wouldn’t say it looks like he he folded under pressure, 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I understand where we might think this but when 1/3 of a team leaves a coach who has been leading the program for 13 years something tells me it wasn't just one kid. 

From the article:

Marshall spoke publicly several times about WSU’s off-the-court issues that came to the forefront after three straight losses marred the 15-1 start. After a 33-point loss at Houston, the coach said he felt like there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and the players. When WSU lost five out of seven games, Marshall said he felt more like a team psychologist than a basketball coach at times.

Even when Stevenson emerged from his rut with a team-high 18 points in WSU’s season-ending 79-57 victory over Tulsa on Sunday, Marshall hinted that the sophomore was trying to sort through some non-basketball things.

“He looked like the Erik from earlier in the year,” Marshall said. “He had a little bounce to him. He was rebounding, getting in there in the fray. Didn’t look like any ailments, physically or mentally. I’m just glad he was able to rally.

“These guys have so much going on, it’s amazing what we deal with now from just a personal perspective. All of them have so much going on with the social media and the families and the friends and coaches.”

Stevenson was not made available to speak to the media following that game, but he took his chance on Friday to speak about what became a tumultuous season for WSU despite its 23-8 record.

“Coach (Marshall) kind of covered up a lot of stuff and kind of put it on the players having problems,” Stevenson said. “I’m not going to say it was only the players who had problems. Obviously we had an up-and-down year, but the coaching staff had a big part in that too."

Don't really like the way Stevenson handled this. If I was a prospective transfer coach, I'd have a lot of questions about him taking a shot at the coaching staff as he walks out the door.

I have not doubt that the WSU coaching staff reacted differently during the losing stretch than they did when they were 15-1. But in the B1G gauntlet, just about every team experienced a 3-5 game losing stretch. I'm sure those practices weren't sunshine and rainbows for any of those teams.

The environment has changed for WSU since they joined the AAC 3 years ago. They owned the MVC. This year they were on path to miss the NCAAT for the second year in a row. I'm sure the coaching staff reacted to that, but there's pressure at a lot of places.

i feel pretty certain that Marshall is an old school coach that is going to struggle going forward with today's mentality.  i side with the old school approach, but it's just getting to a point where kids won't respond and they are taught to pack up and run to another place when things don't go your way.  that's one reason i gave up coaching high school girls a couple years ago.  of course coaching AAU hasn't been any different with the coddle me mentality  anyway, i think a lot of red flags go up here, but these days all kids are pretty much brought up with the same mentality.  if things get tough, go somewhere else.

21 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

From the article:

Marshall spoke publicly several times about WSU’s off-the-court issues that came to the forefront after three straight losses marred the 15-1 start. After a 33-point loss at Houston, the coach said he felt like there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and the players. When WSU lost five out of seven games, Marshall said he felt more like a team psychologist than a basketball coach at times.

Even when Stevenson emerged from his rut with a team-high 18 points in WSU’s season-ending 79-57 victory over Tulsa on Sunday, Marshall hinted that the sophomore was trying to sort through some non-basketball things.

“He looked like the Erik from earlier in the year,” Marshall said. “He had a little bounce to him. He was rebounding, getting in there in the fray. Didn’t look like any ailments, physically or mentally. I’m just glad he was able to rally.

“These guys have so much going on, it’s amazing what we deal with now from just a personal perspective. All of them have so much going on with the social media and the families and the friends and coaches.”

Stevenson was not made available to speak to the media following that game, but he took his chance on Friday to speak about what became a tumultuous season for WSU despite its 23-8 record.

“Coach (Marshall) kind of covered up a lot of stuff and kind of put it on the players having problems,” Stevenson said. “I’m not going to say it was only the players who had problems. Obviously we had an up-and-down year, but the coaching staff had a big part in that too."

Don't really like the way Stevenson handled this. If I was a prospective transfer coach, I'd have a lot of questions about him taking a shot at the coaching staff as he walks out the door.

I have not doubt that the WSU coaching staff reacted differently during the losing stretch than they did when they were 15-1. But in the B1G gauntlet, just about every team experienced a 3-5 game losing stretch. I'm sure those practices weren't sunshine and rainbows for any of those teams.

The environment has changed for WSU since they joined the AAC 3 years ago. They owned the MVC. This year they were on path to miss the NCAAT for the second year in a row. I'm sure the coaching staff reacted to that, but there's pressure at a lot of places.

I understand what you are saying about airing grievances but you have to remember. This kid doesn't have the pulpit to speak out. He can't line up a news conference or even speak after games if his coach doesn't want him to. So he has this coach that is laying this whole bad season at his and a couple players feet. All he has is the way he did this. Remember...he has his whole career at stake here. You have a kid that was budding star and then wham it all comes to a grinding halt this year. It's in his best interest to get out there and do some damage control for him. His whole career is on the line here and I'm sure he doesn't want to be painted by the staff as a troubled player that big schools don't want to take a chance on. If he wants to pursue these other schools he needs people to see his side of the story too and understand he is the same kid that was dominating the first half of the season and there is more to the story then what Marshall is saying. I don't think he is taking a shot here...I mean he wasn't coming out and putting mentioning personal things about what the coaching staff was struggling with etc. Seems like he lost faith in his coaches just as much as they did with the players. I saw no personal shots or uncalled for low blows. Just kind of honest truth. Kinda refreshing to me.

Archived