Erik Stevenson

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I understand what you are saying about airing grievances but you have to remember. This kid doesn't have the pulpit to speak out. He can't line up a news conference or even speak after games if his coach doesn't want him to. So he has this coach that is laying this whole bad season at his and a couple players feet. All he has is the way he did this. Remember...he has his whole career at stake here. You have a kid that was budding star and then wham it all comes to a grinding halt this year. It's in his best interest to get out there and do some damage control for him. His whole career is on the line here and I'm sure he doesn't want to be painted by the staff as a troubled player that big schools don't want to take a chance on. If he wants to pursue these other schools he needs people to see his side of the story too and understand he is the same kid that was dominating the first half of the season and there is more to the story then what Marshall is saying. I don't think he is taking a shot here...I mean he wasn't coming out and putting mentioning personal things about what the coaching staff was struggling with etc. Seems like he lost faith in his coaches just as much as they did with the players. I saw no personal shots or uncalled for low blows. Just kind of honest truth. Kinda refreshing to me.

I couldn't have said it any better.  Pretty much my take as well.

I would also like to point out that this happened at WSU not so many years ago when 3 guys left "unexpectedly".  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

again, i'm sure Marshall is one of the more old school, tough to play for coaches out there.  i personally think that's not all bad, but  lot of kids aren't programmed to take that and be pushed.  does that make this kid a bad kid?  not at all.  does it make me question how mentally tough he is and what his attitude is like?  yeah.  who knows though?  could be a great fit.  

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I understand what you are saying about airing grievances but you have to remember. This kid doesn't have the pulpit to speak out. He can't line up a news conference or even speak after games if his coach doesn't want him to. So he has this coach that is laying this whole bad season at his and a couple players feet. All he has is the way he did this. Remember...he has his whole career at stake here. You have a kid that was budding star and then wham it all comes to a grinding halt this year. It's in his best interest to get out there and do some damage control for him. His whole career is on the line here and I'm sure he doesn't want to be painted by the staff as a troubled player that big schools don't want to take a chance on. If he wants to pursue these other schools he needs people to see his side of the story too and understand he is the same kid that was dominating the first half of the season and there is more to the story then what Marshall is saying. I don't think he is taking a shot here...I mean he wasn't coming out and putting mentioning personal things about what the coaching staff was struggling with etc. Seems like he lost faith in his coaches just as much as they did with the players. I saw no personal shots or uncalled for low blows. Just kind of honest truth. Kinda refreshing to me.

I guess I just didn't see where Marshall was being negative about him. He praised his play against Tulsa and just pointed out all the external distractions that players deal with today. Same thing Izzo, Calpari and others have spoken openly about. I just think Stevenson would have been better served leaving it at that. Prospective coaches could draw their own conclusions about 5 players leaving.

It's like interviewing for another job, regardless of the circumstances you're leaving, it's never good to criticize your current employer to your prospective employer. It raises suspicions about you. In this case, did he lead a player mutiny because he didn't like the way they were being coached?

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:30 AM, 13th&Jackson said:

I guess I just didn't see where Marshall was being negative about him. He praised his play against Tulsa and just pointed out all the external distractions that players deal with today. Same thing Izzo, Calpari and others have spoken openly about. I just think Stevenson would have been better served leaving it at that. Prospective coaches could draw their own conclusions about 5 players leaving.

It's like interviewing for another job, regardless of the circumstances you're leaving, it's never good to criticize your current employer to your prospective employer. It raises suspicions about you. In this case, did he lead a player mutiny because he didn't like the way they were being coached?

The kid just basically said the same thing that Marshall said. He said look in the mirror. If it wasn't negative when the coach said it about the players than why would it be if it is said the other way around? He didn't air out dirty laundry. Didn't make scathing remarks or call out a drunk coach, or coach bringing home problems to work, or one that was abusive etc. He just said the coaching staff had a lot of turmoil going on too. This wasn't just a player issue. In the end this seemed to be pretty honest speech. He just came out and said we didn't mesh..I'm moving on but this wasn't a one sided issue at the school. The staff has some blame for how things went down to. It's one thing to bad mouth or just run down and complain about your old job. Generally speaking when I hire I understand there was an underlying reason why the person left. I want to know it from their perspective. I don't want to hire someone if they are going to have the same issues with my office. I do want to hear them tell me why. If they do it in a respectful manner...I've worked for plenty of bad bosses..I respect their candor. This kid wasn't malicious or taking cheap shots. Honesty is refreshing...and even more refreshing was a kid that did it in a respectful manner. I think he handled it just fine...he let future staffs know that there was issues going on at WSU with the staff and players had lost confidence because how the coaches were handling things and their playing time. You can't play this game in fear of coming out after every mistake. It slows your instincts and reflexes. It causes doubt to creep in and suddenly an in rhythm 3 pointer is questioned and then ultimately shooting percentages fall and things snow ball. You don't want dumb/arrogant play to go unchecked but there is a balancing act that coaches walk in how much rope you give a kid. Shock collars....probably aren't the most effective especially with one of your most talented players.

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Take shooting out of it, he reminds me a little of Donte Divichenzo.   And that’s a compliment because all Donte does is win.  I’ve wanted a kid like that for a long time.   Gets the board you want, gets the 50/50 loose ball, makes the pass, gets a stop on D.

Sounds like Galloway.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, Maryland seems odd

Certainly due to location it's odd, but in terms of roster they lost Anthony Cowan, so there is a hole there for immediate time as a lead guard. 

I think IU will struggle again this Spring to add any type of impact guard beyond Lander. If you're a grad transfer or incoming freshmen, IU has two guards (Phinisee and Durham) who have started the last two seasons, Franklin had moments where you think he'll have an increased role, we potentially have a 5* guard in Lander reclassifying and then you also have three wings/guards already in the freshmen class. 

Similar to last year, none of our guards are world beaters, but at the same time it's a crowded, experienced backcourt. I wouldn't want to compete with two returning 2-year starters. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Certainly due to location it's odd, but in terms of roster they lost Anthony Cowan, so there is a hole there for immediate time as a lead guard. 

I think IU will struggle again this Spring to add any type of impact guard beyond Lander. If you're a grad transfer or incoming freshmen, IU has two guards (Phinisee and Durham) who have started the last two seasons, Franklin had moments where you think he'll have an increased role, we potentially have a 5* guard in Lander reclassifying and then you also have three wings/guards already in the freshmen class. 

Similar to last year, none of our guards are world beaters, but at the same time it's a crowded, experienced backcourt. I wouldn't want to compete with two returning 2-year starters. 

Sigh, if Rob can't stay healthy and we role out with 2 experienced guards, I'm sorry to say we will struggle to stay in the top 25.  

Lander certainly helps the situation and he has had some big shooting games but we all know the jump in defenses, strenght,  speed, size causes freshmen issues.  Really would love to see a scorer shooter added.  

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

At this point I don’t really know how big of a deterrent Phinisee is.  He hasn’t shown himself to be anywhere close to an elite guard.  Guys like Phinisee, Durham, and Franklin are going to be at any major program a transfer considers.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point I don’t really know how big of a deterrent Phinisee is.  He hasn’t shown himself to be anywhere close to an elite guard.  Guys like Phinisee, Durham, and Franklin are going to be at any major program a transfer considers.

I don't know. I doubt there are too many programs that have two guards returning that are both two-year starters. That sounds like it's probably fairly rare in college basketball these days. 

Despite what you think about Phinisee and Durham, if I'm a 1-year grad transfer and I see Lander coming in and two guys that have been starting for two years and average over 25mpg each, then I'd rather go to a school that has a clear opening at my position due to a departing player. 

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not really. Phin and Durham are returning veteran starters. That's not the case at any major program a transfer considers. Durham has improved every year and shoots in the area of 37 from 3. Phin has been injured, repeatedly, but is pretty clearly a strong candidate, minimally, to start as the primary ball handler.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agree.  There are essentially 3 guard spots if we want to play a modern game.  120 minutes.  In conference Al 26.5, Rob 25.5, Armaan 10, Jerome 15.1, Demezi 9.9

That's 87 minutes.  Insert Lander at +25 that's 112.  Here is what I'd really love to see next year.  Lander 25, Shooter/scorer guy 20 maybe less depending how good maybe more, Al 23, Healthy guy Rob 25, Armaan 15, Jerome 12 at the 3 and 5 mins/gm at the 4 to open everything up inside with shooters all around for Trayce to do work.  I could see Armaan stealing some minutes.  

Archived